462 vs 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well your correct on 2 points. With my 462 the 362 doesn’t get much use. The second point if it was a gift you have to keep it. You can’t have to many saws! I have a 660 for the big stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of comments on weight!!
I personally don't care one whit about the 661 being heavier than the 462, I don't notice that as much as I appreciate the added power.
I am a fairly husky guy... my 462 just primarily sits when I need a saw, and I use the 661 for almost everything I cut personally.
That said, weight does matter.
The 462 will absolutely pull a 28" bar, and do it well.
The main thing I mention weight for is since I run a small time firewood company I nerd out over speed and production to a great degree. I keep tabs on every saw almost every day.
I don't tell anyone what saw to use, but I do keep tabs on what gets done & used.
The cut times are not as fast individualy with a 462 as a 661, but for some reason by day 3-4 of the week the guys are all clamoring for the 462 & nobody wants a 90cc saw.
Thats when I have available a couple husky 372's, a makita 7900, 460 stihl, 460 husky, 394 husky, 290&390 stihls, several clone 440's several clone 660's as of today a mint OEM 660, mint 288xp husky & several others in and out of rotation.
Most guys grab the biggest saw they can find on the first day, are sore for the next several days and lose production to fatigue, and quickly find they prefer the lightest one that will do the job well.
Not including my own numbers, the winner of overall production even with different monkeys on the handle is the husky 372's.
462 a close second, but the most liked.

Lots of comments on weight!!
I personally don't care one whit about the 661 being heavier than the 462, I don't notice that as much as I appreciate the added power.
I am a fairly husky guy... my 462 just primarily sits when I need a saw, and I use the 661 for almost everything I cut personally.
That said, weight does matter.
The 462 will absolutely pull a 28" bar, and do it well.
The main thing I mention weight for is since I run a small time firewood company I nerd out over speed and production to a great degree. I keep tabs on every saw almost every day.
I don't tell anyone what saw to use, but I do keep tabs on what gets done & used.
The cut times are not as fast individualy with a 462 as a 661, but for some reason by day 3-4 of the week the guys are all clamoring for the 462 & nobody wants a 90cc saw.
Thats when I have available a couple husky 372's, a makita 7900, 460 stihl, 460 husky, 394 husky, 290&390 stihls, several clone 440's several clone 660's as of today a mint OEM 660, mint 288xp husky & several others in and out of rotation.
Most guys grab the biggest saw they can find on the first day, are sore for the next several days and lose production to fatigue, and quickly find they prefer the lightest one that will do the job well.
Not including my own numbers, the winner of overall production even with different monkeys on the handle is the husky 372's.
462 a close second, but the most liked.

******* winner of overall production even with different monkeys on the handle******* is the husky 372's. ......

buy A husqvarna 572xp and let them try it.........;)

Like what was just stated, a 361/462 is a ****** two saw plan. They’re too close in comparison If you’re going to get the 462, ditch the 361 and get a 261.

Or keep the 361 and go up to the 661.

Anything else makes no sense to me. As a firewood hack myself and leaving out the saw obsession, I’d go with the 261/462 as a two saw firewood/farm plan.

Agree.....I changed it up and got:
201t, 14” for basket work or small stuff —-gets 90% of the run time.....going to mastermind this winter.....

Mastermind mod 261 18” bar
Mastermind 462 with 28” and 36”

Not sure what to get for the next size up saw. The 461 is kinda old tech....heavier and if I moded it certainly would be great but I feel like Stihl was just about ready to replace it with something bigger than the 500i.....then COVID hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agree.....I changed it up and got:
201t, 14” for basket work or small stuff —-gets 90% of the run time.....going to mastermind this winter.....

Mastermind mod 261 18” bar
Mastermind 462 with 28” and 36”

Not sure what to get for the next size up saw. The 461 is kinda old tech....heavier and if I moded it certainly would be great but I feel like Stihl was just about ready to replace it with something bigger than the 500i.....then COVID hit.

The 661 is a no brainer for you. That 36inch bar will be much happier on the 661 than the 462.

I've had just about every modern 90cc ish saw there is and a 661 is ahead of them for bone stock performance.

I wanna see a ported 462 out pull a stock 661 with a 36" bar in 40" oaks.

Of course there's meat left on the bone for porting a 661, but that's not what this is about. I have a ported 462. And a muffler modded one as well and had 661s in different flavors, so I have a fairly good idea what they run like. You must have got a ringer if your saw can do as you stated.

It runs really good. Randy at mastermind really got this thing figured out. Pretty radical looking transfer ports, did squish work, gutted stratos, timing, muffler mod,

He keeps working different recipes and configurations, video taping them for times.

There was a long thread on this site back in 14’ where chad ran the 461 on his dyno against the 660. It had the edge, and that was stock.

I think the mastermind recipe gives it about 1/3 more power, but what I like is the horsepower curve is really flat.

There was a long thread on this site back in 14’ where chad ran the 461 on his dyno against the 660. It had the edge, and that was stock.
660’s are complete dogs compared to a 661. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

The 661 is a no brainer for you. That 36inch bar will be much happier on the 661 than the 462.

Well that might be the next saw. I was really surprised on the 462 once broke in, in Cedar Rapids
Storm clean up in 97f heat it still ran really great. Only time I had to lift a hair is if I got one of the chains that had the rakers cut back on a hair to much.

I run sharp chains and at the first sign of slowing up, I change it out. That might have something to do with it too.

Wish I had a video
feb742a266db89299c4bd864ab2385e3.jpg

660’s are complete dogs compared to a 661. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

Ah got it my apologies I got it mixed up. I thought the main difference was no option of m-tronic on the 660.

I know randy said when I asked him that he thought he had a lot more to gain porting the 462 over the 661. Also had to buy a different coil with the 661, so he steered me that way.

I might have to buy a 661 and port it then, if I don’t like it I’m sure a 661 ported with a few tanks run though it would sell easily.

Well now here on the internet forums, it's not uncommon for a guy wanting a thinning saw to end up with an 880 by the end of the thread. :cool: Seriously when I'm cutting firewood 2, 3, 4, 5... seconds or longer in a cut, doesn't cross my mind, cutting is the easy part anyway. I bet a good deal of the guys that swing these big heavy saws could be beat with a good chain and a smaller saw. Chain! now that's something I pay attention to. A stock 462 with a 28" in hardwood is likely overkill for 95% of the guys here, myself included. You really have to get into monster rounds before saws like the 661 are truly needed, even than with a good chain you can handle pretty much anything with 70cc saw.

Now if you just want a big saw, have at it! they're a blast, just not as necessary as some here make them out to be.

I think most, myself included are recommending the 661 because he wants a larger saw, wants to keep the 361, and stepping up from a 361 to a 462 doesn’t make much sense.

261 and 462 makes sense to me and imo is a perfect firewood/farm 2 saw plan.

361 661 makes sense to me if he is determined to keep the 361.

It’s hard to have a 2 saw plan with a 60cc saw when he’s running into bigger wood and feels the 60cc saw isn’t big enough. Now you don’t have your small saw covered. IMO 60cc saws are a waste for us firewood hacks, they destroy a good 2 saw plan.

I think most, myself included are recommending the 661 because he wants a larger saw, wants to keep the 361, and stepping up from a 361 to a 462 doesn’t make much sense.

261 and 462 makes sense to me and imo is a perfect firewood/farm 2 saw plan.

361 661 makes sense to me if he is determined to keep the 361.

It’s hard to have a 2 saw plan with a 60cc saw when he’s running into bigger wood and feels the 60cc saw isn’t big enough. Now you don’t have your small saw covered. IMO 60cc saws are a waste for us firewood hacks, they destroy a good 2 saw plan.
Plenty out there do firewood with nothing less than a 70cc. I read it often. puss-cake.jpg

Why? In post one he asked for opinions on 462 vs 661. That's it. My meme was referencing your off topic advice of switching to a 50/70 plan.
You should go back and reread if that’s what you are seeing. I already stated he should get the 661. But if he’s going to get the 462 then he should ditch the 361 and get a 261.

You should go back and reread if that’s what you are seeing then. I already stated he should get the 661. But if he’s going to get the 462 then he should ditch the 361 and get a 261.
I saw it. And that makes sense, but then you went on about the 361 "destroying" a two saw plan. After he'd mentioned holding onto it.

I saw it. And that makes sense, but then you went on about the 361 "destroying" a two saw plan. After he'd mentioned holding onto it.
And it does. And it helps show why the 462 is out of the equation imo if he’s keeping the 361. His plan will be 60-90 instead of 50-70. Instead of just saying 661 is my choice, I’m explaining why people jump classes. Nothing was off topic, what you’re doing now is off topic.

Back