462s not holding up, carefull commercial users

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work for a company that puts people into outer space, and technology that puts missiles right up the a$$es of our enemies. They could design a saw that was lighter, stronger, and more powerful than anything that's existed.... but it would take a year to make, cost $50,000, and they'd only make a handful at a time, haha.
But yeah if cost wasn't a factor, you could make something really insane.
And it still might suffer unforseen failures just like the Challenger boosters.

And it still might suffer unforseen failures just like the Challenger boosters.
I know this is waaaaaaay off topic, but the Challenger explosion was human error. The engineers said to scrub the launch because it was too cold for the O Rings to seal the fuel tanks. They were ignored by those in charge. You know what happened next.
But sure, anything can fail.

I know this is waaaaaaay off topic, but the Challenger explosion was human error. The engineers said to scrub the launch because it was too cold for the O Rings to seal the fuel tanks. They were ignored by those in charge. You know what happened next.
But sure, anything can fail.
Perhaps, but it was an engineering failure that allowed o rings that shrunk in the cold.

So there’s an issue with the original 462’s that unless I missed something, nobody here has had first hand experience with, including me running one in a commercial environment, but most of us have had first hand experience running 5 series husky’s that would not start after hot or had bad o ring seals on the transfer port covers leading to air leaks and scored pistons, but Stihl is putting out sub par equipment.
You guys crack me up.
All manufacturers have some bad ones, and some manufacturers have more bad ones than good ones.
Like my grandpa used to say, don’t buy a truck regardless of the make that was made on a Friday or a Monday, if ya can help it.
Did you not read what the op wrote?

He started this thread because TWO of his 462s went down.

Like my grandpa used to say blind loyalty is just blind.

Did you not read what the op wrote?

He started this thread because TWO of his 462s went down.

Like my grandpa used to say blind loyalty is just blind.
I did, but read the OP’s post a while back after picking up with the thread.
I run 288’s, 346’s, and a triple nickel with a 560 top end along with my Stihls.
No brand loyalty here.
Point is, there a few duds in the mix of every brand, some brands just have more duds than others.
Tree service companies put saws through worse crap than any other. Most loggers know how to take care of saws, most groundies that work for tree services only know how to destroy them.
Our 462 is still going strong, and I expect it will for some time.

Perhaps, but it was an engineering failure that allowed o rings that shrunk in the cold.
It was a totally understood part of the design, they were told not to launch, but they had to try and make the program profitable and look good, which never happened, quite the opposite in fact. The original design was totally different, but NASA would have never had the funding. Why? To get funding the boosters hand to me made in multiple states, so it had to be made in sections, as some of the states were land locked. All this created jobs and made the constituents happy, which gets people reelected. It was all about politics and money.

Derail complete.:sweet:

All it takes is one casting run at one factory to put hundreds if not thousands or even tens of thousands of bad units/parts into the supply stream and that stream may feed two stores in one state and all of northern south america and central america. Companies all over the place are refusing warranty replacements with covid shutdowns deflating their bottom lines for almost 2 years now. It can take a decade before a company admits a serious manufacturing defect, look at takata airbags. If I were a betting man I would place money the author of this thread got two saws from the same run.

It was a totally understood part of the design, they were told not to launch, but they had to try and make the program profitable and look good, which never happened, quite the opposite in fact. The original design was totally different, but NASA would have never had the funding. Why? To get funding the boosters hand to me made in multiple states, so it had to be made in sections, as some of the states were land locked. All this created jobs and made the constituents happy, which gets people reelected. It was all about politics and money.

Derail complete.:sweet:
Sounds like a typical government cluster fuq.

Reminds me of the 371xp, had a weak design on the cases, so husqvarna came out with the 372xp, pretty easy to tell the difference still to this day, stihl choose a less forthcoming approach.
I'm not sure if that wasn't fixed in the first year or 2 of the 4 yr run of the 371xp when they beefed up the case?
It was originally LISTED as 5.9 kg in the 362/365/371 manual, that can be viewed. Anyway, the first 372 were listed at 6.1 kg then 6.2 and 6.3 and 6.4 kg for xp models of the OE. So that's 1lb more than it started out. Some 372 may have had the heavier flywheel and they got rid of the holly drum from the 371 but 371 was introduced as bare bones as was the 462. Some may be Husqvarna getting more honest with the true weights. Evidently, the 365 had a different crank the first yr and a zama carb but were both changed The 385 had crank probs to begin with also. I bought a 371 new in it's first yr in'96 and bought another reconditioned one after 2010. I never thought less of them. A bit lighter saw was a bit more sought after for most jobs.

With the 462, I heard there was some probs with the front case or something with longer bars from a mechanic/builder on the BC coast about 18 months ago but I haven't talked shop with anyone out there since.
Guy in the Uk that I got my saw ticket from talked of a guy that had his back to the shop about 8 times? all and all it seems like a pretty good run so far but I did expect them to go the 371/372 route and beef them up some. People are happy with the OE for the most part and may likely prefer them if they start gaining weight.

As to the OP ? Really bad luck or the saw is a little soft for your style. IdK,

Every company faces challenges in new designs, it not about having issues to me, its about how they respond to those issues that I care about, putting there heads in the sand denying an issue while changing design isn't exactly what I call owning up to your mistakes, anyone w a bad saw should have it fixed free of charge, that's the customer service I want.

Latest posts

Back