5 hours at the woodpile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most pieces were 22-24”. Unless it was a butt-end cut off to make a piece 22-24”.

This pile will never be stacked, just pushed around with a loader until it gets thrown piece by piece into the outdoor furnace.

@farmer steve your near Carlisle.... correct?
yep. between Dillsburg and East Berlin.

I respectfully estimate 6.5 cords. The thing about a pile is it isn’t a cube. It’s more of a cone. The volume of a cone is the area of the base times height divided by 3 so 15*15*3.14*5/3/180 is about 6.5 cords

A more than respectable amount of output for 5hrs of splitting IMO. Good work and nice splitter

All wood cut to length prior, 2 skid steers moving wood in-out, and a small tractor with a grapple to lift the really big ones. If the push block never stops moving you make a lot of wood fast with a 6 way wedge. Counting operators, there were 7 people ensuring that the block never stopped.

But that’s not the point, to those who read AND understood my initial post it was not bragging about the feats of a guy splitting wood. The measurements are accurate, and straight sided on 2 sides ( the barn and the silo), the other side used a hill as a back stop. The front side was mostly straight as it was continually pushed up with a skid steer. To piggy back off of the “bucket of firewood” post, we were filling a 25 cubic bucket in about 75 seconds.

My wife thinks my firewood is expensive with the equipment we use to make it. I only have one skid steer with grapple, one 150 Hp tractor on the trailer we are loading into and a home built splitter and usually three guys. My guys are the Senior group if we buck,split and stack load three cords in a day we feel we had a big day. You have one nice splitter maybe the next time we have a up swing in the grain price I could get one. LOL

just unloaded my 6x12 trailer loaded 1.5' high. 108 cf stacked it came out to 56.5 cf the wood was thrown on the trailer as i split it.i was surprised at almost half reduction

al-k, this was split to fireplace/wood stove size?

If so my 180 ft3 conversion factor is out to lunch, even more so when dealing with outdoor furnace sized wood

I'd estimate that pile to be at least 10 cords. 25 is laughable, but so isn't 6. To imply that machine only does a little over a cord an hour is ridiculous. A supersplit with a single wedge will do that. He did at least 2 per hour, especially with ample helpers.

I seem to remember throwing wood into a 12 foot dump trailer to the top of the boards and when I stacked it it was half a cord. Had I have stacked it in there it should have been more like 2 cord.

The question seems to be, is it possible?
Is 25 cord in five hours possible with the Eastonmade 22-28?

It's a math story problem.
18" rounds? 22" rounds? 7 second cycle time; seven guys working.
Lets assume 16" cuts for length, and 50% actual spitter work, or cycle time.
Volume of a cylinder formula: V = 3.14 (r x r)h
volume per 18" round = 3.14(9x9)16" = 4,069.44 cu. in./1,728 cu. in. per cu. ft.= 2.35 cu. ft.
Hmmm. I do not know how to convert that to cords.

However, picture 1/3 cord being 4' high x 8' long x 16'' wide.
If you picture 12" rounds, it takes 32 pieces, and totals 33.28 cu. ft..
Same rack with 24" dia. rounds you get 8 pieces totaling 33.44 cu. ft.. (V = 3.14(12x12)(16) = 4.18 cu. ft. each.
Same rack with 48" pieces totals 33.48 cu. ft.
Lets use 24" dia. x 16" = 33.44 cu. ft for 1/3 cord; times three is 100.32 cu. ft. per cord and the rest air space, or 27.68 cu. ft air, none of which matters.
What I was looking for is the number of 24" dia. x 16" pieces per cord, which is 8 x 3 = 24 big pieces per cord.
24 pieces per cord x 25 cord = 600 pieces.
600 pieces x 7 sec. per piece = 4,200 seconds of cycle time.
60 min. per hour x 60 sec. per min = 3,600 sec./hour
4,200 sec./3,600 sec. per hour = 1.16 hours or 1 hour and 10 minutes piston time.
Working backwards: 600 pieces in 5 hours = 120 pieces per hour.
That's two 24" rounds per minute.

Seven guys... you can rotate out and take breaks, etc.
Yep, it's doable...even with cell phones, cigarettes, and refueling.

Okay 18" rounds = 2.35 cu. ft. of wood
From earlier, 100.32 cu. ft of wood per cord, the rest air space.
So 100.32/2.35 = 42.68 rounds per cord...x 25 cord =1,067 rounds/5 hours = 213.4 rounds per hour/ 60 min. per hour =3.55 rounds per minute. or one every 15 sec.or less.

If it is a seven sec. cycle time the machine can do 25 cord in five hours if not re-splitting.
This assumes 16" lengths.
24" lengths would be 1/3 the number of rounds to split and 1/3 less cycle time.

The beauty of the machine is that it comes with an oil cooler, and there is a box wedge option that slides on/off.

Oil cooler is nice, temps stayed around 130 degrees, no box wedge though. I may get it, as my outdoor furnace is a gasifier, and I know they like dry wood. Even though this is next years wood, many of these pieces are larger than what I would start with when using my super split.

Unless it was a cut off, all pieces were 20”-22”. Many were 24”, as they JUST fit onto the cradle. So for the purpose of the equations above, the push block was retracting and extending the whole way each time.

I'd estimate that pile to be at least 10 cords. 25 is laughable, but so isn't 6. To imply that machine only does a little over a cord an hour is ridiculous. A supersplit with a single wedge will do that. He did at least 2 per hour, especially with ample helpers.

I'm saying 12-15. I know what 8 cords looked like in a pile, and what it looks like once stacked. It's actually somewhat disappointing when I dump a few bucket loads of split wood in the shed, and then go to stack it and a pile that I thought for sure would get me over one cord stack, only got me a little over half. The specific stacks I'm talking about are 12' x 6', 22-24" split pieces.

Heres a link to a live video we did with the 22-28. With the wood stacked up its about 7 minutes a face cord....most of the blocks were under 12". You could cut that down a lot in bigger wood. Thanks for the mention waltzie. It is very much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back