50:1 vs 40:1?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gkiesel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi everyone. If this has been debated to death just let me know.
My old saw runs 40:1 My soon to be new saw wants 50:1. It sure would be nice to have just one gas can for both. You don't want to run 50:1 in the 40:1 saw, but I can't see too much harm in running 40:1 in the 50:1 saw. What do you guys think? Thanks, George

i always used 40:1 full synthetic oil in all of my saws.it might smoke a little bit but atleast i know it's getting good lubrication to the piston and rings and stuff.

Last edited:
That was a ? I had is it better to run a little heavy on the oil. I use Stihl HP Ultra full synthetic is this good oil? Bottle makes 2 gallons is it benificial to open a 2nd bottle to use in the next 3 to 4 cans and give them them each an extra splash?

I would use 50:1 if I used synthetic oil but I'm always getting those regular 2.5 gallon mix orange stihl bottles and empty one into a two gallon fuel container and use premium fuel to mix, comes out to 40.214235:1 or close to it:hmm3grin2orange: I use this mix on everything that calls for 50:1

I have a separate 1 gallon container for 32:1 for those cheapo yard tools I still use around the yard.

Last edited:
50:1

50:1 works very well and you not have any issues.. run the fuel/oil mix richer can actually hurt a saws performance.. the saw doesn't run as efficient having to burn the extra oil...run good gas,no ethanol and a top of the line two stroke oil and you will be just fine

I can see absolutely no reason to run anything but 50:1, even in old saws that "called" for 25:1, provided the oil is a quality synthetic one! :smile2:

So you would run 50:1 in my old poulan that specs 40:1? would think that might not be good.

I would - it isn't the saw engines that have changed, but the quality of of the oil. If the oil is old or non-synth, you better follow the specs. Never use "out-board" oil in saws!

Back