50cc high rev Pro or 60cc higher torque for general Farm work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angryagri

Reaction score
Hello to all here and thanks for a very informative website.
This has probably been done to death before but I have not found a satisfactory answer.

TLDR:
Should I keep a screaming 50cc high rpm pro saw for farm work, buy a 55/60cc slower rev higher torque workhorse or just stick with my 40cc 2.4hp 16" Oleo-mac that will do the same work but more slowly and only buy a new saw when that dies? I know nothing about buying second hand chainsaws/modding and have limited choice of dealers.

Long version:
Bought a ms261cm 18" for farm work due to it's quality components and slightly better torque than the 550xp.
I know both are great pro saws and I choose them to last a life time with less maintenance and thus relieving the pain of paying stupid money for something that will get less than 100 hours per year.

The MS261cm is a screaming demon and now I'm wondering if I should have went for more CCs and less speed.
I know the HP is there but that comes more from speed and not so much from torque.
I'm concerned that a very high rev 50cc engine however well built is less of a workhorse than a slower 60cc one and wont last.
So is a MS261cm a good all round workhorse and would it last a life time doing my work?

Would something like the Husky 460 or 291 have better torque and wider powerband and thus be more forgiving as an all round workhorse on the farm?

I currently have a 10 year old Oleo-Mac 940c with a 16" bar that's 2.4 hp. This works fine at the moment but I might have to knock and cut up a few wider trees this year. Is the only real disadvantage of this saw that it's just slower than the others but it will do the work?

I'm not interested in modding or buying two saws and the only dealers beside me are stihl and husqvarna.

Cheers

The 261 is a fantastic saw and does many jobs well. I would consider adding a really good used 70cc + saw like an 044, 372xp, or dolmar 7900. But with a 261 you realistically my not use a larger saw much. But it is nice to have when you need it.

Sure put a lot of tags in a post for it being the first.

What does general farm chores mean to you? I see Ireland as your location in your profile. Unless it involves cutting up large sections to put in an outside wood boiler or something along those lines the 50cc you state you have should be preferable for clearing blow downs. I would assume you have a machine to move large chunks and brush.

if you have a dependable 261 and you stated you are not in the market for a 2 saw plan at the moment there is not much else to talk about.

If you end up needing a bigger saw occasionally call a buddy or rent one until you are ready to buy another saw.

Stay safe.

Should you sell your new pro saw and get something that is slower and makes less power?

I have the carby 261 stihl it's been excellent i use 70cc otherwise.

Personally I see you have clear buyers remorse and actually should have asked this question priour to your purchase. Since you already have a top of the line pro saw I see this thread as senseless. I see having a 40 & 50cc saw as not a sensible investment. The combo 40 & 60cc is much better!
If you would be asking the question what saw to add to your, obviously flawlessly working, 40cc saw my answer would have been definately get a 60cc saw. The models I would have recomended would have been echo 590, Dolmar 6100 = Makita 6100 and Husqvarna 555.

Geez you have had a bit of a shellacking here!!! I think the issue is that you already have one of the main saws that would have been recommended to you for general farm work - by farm saw we are generally saying a versatile do anything saw, but one that does not get used 8 hours a day. So you now have two saws. A good little Oleo Mac and a 60cc Stihl. For most people this would be a good set up. Use the Olly for little crap jobs and the Stihl for when you actually have to cut something of substance.
In Australia a farm saw gets used for big dead trees, cutting redgum fence posts and generally doing jobs that are hard on saws (Aussie wood is dry and hard), and something in the 70cc range generally fits the bill. Stihl 038's and 044 are revered here because of their torquey ability to deal with hard wood. I would reckon that you are unlikely to have any real issues in Ireland with super hard wood and cant see that there are going to be too many times you need more than a 20 inch bar.
Stick what you have got I think.

The models I would have recomended would have been echo 590, Dolmar 6100 = Makita 6100 and Husqvarna 555.
I'd bet you a good beer that a 590 doesn't make any more power than the 261 - especially since Echo intentionally reduced the power so it would not compete with the 620. I'd even bet that it doesn't make any more peak power, or power at any specific rpm. Of course, unless someone puts them on a dyno and makes some plots we'll never know, so I guess my beer is safe! :cheers:

Congrats, you made a great saw choice, I doubt you really need another. But if you WANT another, well, thats different! Get one that will take care of the rest of everything you might do... MS440, 372, or similar. You'll take care of felling, bucking, and light milling. The 261 will take care of 95% of everything, have the big one for the rest and as a backup.

I'd bet you a good beer that a 590 doesn't make any more power than the 261 - especially since Echo intentionally reduced the power so it would not compete with the 620. I'd even bet that it doesn't make any more peak power, or power at any specific rpm. Of course, unless someone puts them on a dyno and makes some plots we'll never know, so I guess my beer is safe! :cheers:

I'll assume by power you mean cutting ability and that comparison is probably a good bet with a shorter bar (16-18")...the 261 might even outcut the 590 in smaller stuff. But the 590 will pull a 24" bar...the 261 at 50cc ain't having none of that.

Latest posts

Back