50cc high rev Pro or 60cc higher torque for general Farm work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually the 260 once appeared on the sales floor with a tag that showed the upper bar range as 24". This was around 2000-2003 if I recall. I remember it was pre-flippy cap.
One other option might be to change sprockets or oregons thin kerf bar and chain.
Have you considered the additional weight of "non 261" saws or does that not matter to you?

I have seen some pretty fast cutting 261 with a 18" 3/8lp run that Stihl ps chain and watch it eat. The Oregon. 325nk is a good chain as well. I would probably run that new speedcut bar and some of the 95txl chain myself . I would be very happy with a 261. I am a big fan of 60cc Saws for my needs and preferences but wouldn't take a 261 back. Run the saw for a bit try some different chain and bars available for it and you may be pleased it really is a great all around saw that can handle a professional workload.

I'll just reply to all in one go.
Firstly, thank you all for you responses- most appreciated.

I guess the consensus is that yes a high rev pro 50cc saw can do the work of a quality but non pro 60cc saw with comparable (3.9) HP and so can cover alot of work up to a 70cc saw.

Thus the Rancher/Farm models are not worth it, well only if you want to save up to < €100 here in ireland.
The only real alternative is the Husky 555xp with not a huge difference in price up or down but an added 1/2 HP but also added weight.
If only Stihl had a similar inbetween model.

@ 7 - yeah a bit of buyers remorse brought on by a rushed purchase of a very good deal and aided by people then telling me that a high rev 50cc saw could not compete in general with a 60cc saw of similar HP. I thought that I was getting the equivelant of a 60cc saw (HP based) ... what do you think?.

@ Griff - Shellacking, what a great new word... trust an Aussie. Stick with what I got? ... what I got is a shellacking for having bought an expensive saw not hugely better than my old one ;-)

I'll assume by power you mean cutting ability and that comparison is probably a good bet with a shorter bar (16-18")...the 261 might even outcut the 590 in smaller stuff. But the 590 will pull a 24" bar...the 261 at 50cc ain't having none of that.
Displacement means nothing, it's only a question of the power vs rpm curve. The only reason the 590 would pull a 24" bar better at some rpm is if it has more power at that rpm - and as I said I doubt that is the case. Certainly Echo knows how to get the power out of that 60cc engine, but for market positioning reasons they changed the port timing to reduce the power on the 590.

The other issue might be one of how a 24" bar would fit/balance on the 261 chassis, but that is a different question.

... @ 7 - yeah a bit of buyers remorse brought on by a rushed purchase of a very good deal and aided by people then telling me that a high rev 50cc saw could not compete in general with a 60cc saw of similar HP. I thought that I was getting the equivelant of a 60cc saw (HP based) ... what do you think?.
Wouldn't worry one second! If the saw is too fast for you, just mount a longer bar and chain and look for larger wood... :D

What a 50cc gives up in torque it gains in handling. We are talking pro modle to pro modle. Farm/ ranch is not a fare comparison. A 40cc pro might out cut a 60cc farm saw. Lol

Back