5100 Vs 2153

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandpatractor

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got a chance to try a 2153 today. raced against my 5100. It's a nice smooth saw and just barely got beat. I can't say anything bad about it at all.
Except the price. Bout a hundred bucks more than a 5100. Not a hard decision there as to which one I would buy.........again.:monkey:

So was it an equal race? Same chain, same log, how about the age of the saws, both are well broken in? But you are right, if they are that close the hundred in your jeans is it worth loosing by a 1/10 or so.

So was it an equal race? Same chain, same log, how about the age of the saws, both are well broken in? But you are right, if they are that close the hundred in your jeans is it worth loosing by a 1/10 or so.

My 5100 had an older chain on it. The J-red was pretty much a new saw. It was a demo and both were set up with 3/8 chain and 18" bars. I think things were pretty equal. I sure liked how smooth it ran.

My 5100 had an older chain on it. The J-red was pretty much a new saw. It was a demo and both were set up with 3/8 chain and 18" bars. I think things were pretty equal. I sure liked how smooth it ran.

Watch out, Woodie's gonna start sending you pm's for a date now.:)

the 2153 is a nice saw (don't tell anyone I said that, lol)

But like you said, for the price...the 5100 is a no brainer. They are both fairly equal in small wood, but get into 16-18" wood, the dolmars really shines over it.

one of my buddies just got a 2153.i haven't ran it yet.

the 5100 is a great saw.i ran my 346 NE against one.the husky seems a tad faster,a tad faster,and a little more refined. a $100 is $100 though.

I've got 'em priced $75 apart in my store. I think they are all in a dead heat power wise, and preference really comes down to which one feels better when you pick it up.

And when you figure that everyone on this site spends 20 times more than they need to on saws, who cares about the $75?

I've got 'em priced $75 apart in my store. I think they are all in a dead heat power wise, and preference really comes down to which one feels better when you pick it up.

And when you figure that everyone on this site spends 20 times more than they need to on saws, who cares about the $75?

I think you got that right!

Who really cares about $75 if they like one better than the other?

....but it isn't an easy decition, better get both! :cheers:

...and the mandatory 361!

Last edited:
Newbie to the site- alot of research here before I picked up a 5100 about a month ago. Only 3-4 tanks in it so far. I noticed that it does not have a decomp valve, but the manual says it should. I don't really care as I rarely used it with my Husky 350. But does the fact is not there (welded) mean anything?

Newbie to the site- alot of research here before I picked up a 5100 about a month ago. Only 3-4 tanks in it so far. I noticed that it does not have a decomp valve, but the manual says it should. I don't really care as I rarely used it with my Husky 350. But does the fact is not there (welded) mean anything?

They don't have a decomp valve in the US - and there is no need for one.

The NE346xp (and I believe the 2153) has one, but I have never used it.

It is not welded, the hole hasn't been bored.

...but the 5000D cylinder is availiable with one, and will fit......

I also believe The Cutting Edge have converted some to have one, both trough putting in a 5000D cylinder, and by converting the original one.....

The manual cover several models, I guess that is why it mention the decomp valve.

Last edited:
Thanks. On another note, I got the 5100 to be an all around saw to deal with whole trees as I have access to a Husky 365 for bigger work. But I just worked out a deal to ger 6 cords of uncut hardwood logs that will all be about 16" in diameter. I will likely do this ever year. The bar is a 18" .325. Will I be ok or will I be abusing the saw?

Thanks. On another note, I got the 5100 to be an all around saw to deal with whole trees as I have access to a Husky 365 for bigger work. But I just worked out a deal to ger 6 cords of uncut hardwood logs that will all be about 16" in diameter. I will likely do this ever year. The bar is a 18" .325. Will I be ok or will I be abusing the saw?

It will be OK, but I would prefere a larger saw....

Make sure it has a 7-teeth rim on it.

I have put a few deco cylinders on 5100's mostly for female and elderly users. For users that lack the upper body strength to start a high compression saw, but need the power of a 5100, the deco changeover is a good choice.

Yip

the 2153 is a nice saw (don't tell anyone I said that, lol)

But like you said, for the price...the 5100 is a no brainer. They are both fairly equal in small wood, but get into 16-18" wood, the dolmars really shines over it.

And herein lies the torque of the Dolmars AGAIN!!!!!

:clap:

How do I confirm that? Is that the number of teeth holes in the sprocket? Why is that important? Thanks for your help.

you'll be fine using the 18". We run a 20" in some big wood and it does fine, much like yourself we have bigger saws but the 5100 is fun and much lighter so we dont fire up the big ones unless we have to. Good luck and get about 10 more tanks in it and enjoy it.

I love the saw so far. When the load of logs come, I will try to get the 365 and run them side by side- I report back. But I feel confident about the 5100 now. Thanks

Back