550 or 562 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 550xp pulls a 18" bar with authority...and it only has a slight MM. The question is if you think you need a larger bar or not. If so then the 562 would be worth the premium or you may want to consider a two saw plan...550xp and 372xp...

:biggrinbounce2:

I currently own two Tows R Us saws (Pulon) they were used for basic property upkeep, I recently installed a wood burner and am finding that I need to upgrade to something better suited for my needs. I live in MI and will be most likely be burning at least 6 months a year. I have been reading the past posts here and asking questions at my local dealers 3 of them being Husky and 1- Stihl
the 357 I tried is about as heavy of a saw as I'd like. The 562 is more than I would like to spend but if it means I wont be kicking myself in the a$$ later I can swing it. I would like to stay with an 18" bar.

Something that hasn't been brought up is your age, size, average tree size you'll be cutting, and how long you'll be cutting at one time. Younger & stronger, go with the 562xp w/20" bar for your 1-saw plan & keep one of your old saws to free up the occasional pinched bar. If I was 23 instead of 63, that's what I'd do. Good luck. Can't go wrong with either saw.

Best one saw plan is a 60cc saw.

Best two saw plan is a 50cc & 70cc saw.

Best way to a two saw plan is start with a one saw plan. :msp_thumbsup:

There is nothing wrong with a 50, 60 and 70cc "plan" either - I surely will not advice anyone to pick a 50cc one over a 60cc one based on the mere possibility that he/she may want a 70cc saw later. :msp_wink:

There is nothing wrong with a 50, 60 and 70cc "plan" either - I surely will not advice anyone to pick a 50cc one over a 60cc one based on the mere possibility that he/she may want a 70cc saw later. :msp_wink:

I currently subscribe to that plan.:clap:

Welcome to the site! :msp_smile:

The first thing you have to do is find a different... dealer, that knows what he is talking about!

So why limit yourself just to a Husqvarna. Check with your local Stihl and Dolmar dealers, they can't be any worse than what passes as a Husky dealer around you.

As for saws, yes a 60cc would make a great one saw plan. Look at a PS-6400 or if you can scare one up used, a nice MS361 would do admirably.

Oh... and welcome to AS! Where opinions are like belly buttons. :msp_smile:

Dave,

I'm in a similar situation; have owned "homeowner" saws, and a 445Xtorq Husky. My situation is that I don't have much big stuff, I am older and have a bad back......weight is very important to me. I am an obsessive-compulsive researcher. My research says that a 550XP with an 18" bar will have all the power I need, with not much weight.

I just talked to a BIG eBay seller today (buying a 3/8 sprocket) and he knew very little about the 550XPs. But there is a lot of knowledge on this site from guys that have had them for a while. Some of them have modified several already.

My experience with a homeowner-grade husky wasn't bad, but I definitely wanted a high quality low-weight saw that will last a lifetime. So I am going with a professional grade saw. Doesn't mean I *won't* buy another (larger) saw....it just means I won't have to.

So why limit yourself just to a Husqvarna. Check with your local Stihl and Dolmar dealers, they can't be any worse than what passes as a Husky dealer around you.

As for saws, yes a 60cc would make a great one saw plan. Look at a PS-6400 or if you can scare one up used, a nice MS361 would do admirably.

Oh... and welcome to AS! Where opinions are like belly buttons. :msp_smile:

:msp_biggrin: There are absolutely Zero reason to look at any Stihl or Dolmar between about 43 and 75cc - I believe most of us know that much! :msp_wink:

:msp_biggrin: There are absolutely Zero reason to look at any Stihl or Dolmar between about 43 and 75cc - I believe most of us know that much! :msp_wink:

What's the matter? Seems that you're afraid the OP will discover other saws that work just as well, last as long or longer, and might save some money as well.

Not to mention may provide him with a better dealer also...

While I know you are giving us a hard time, I believe that under severe duty the MS 261 and 362 are a little sturdier than their Husky counterparts. Of course, you pay for this with a bit of extra weight. I drive most of them, and this is my experience. :dizzy:

I agree with you on the current Dolmars, although I still have a soft spot for my little 5100.

While I know you are giving us a hard time, I believe that under severe duty the MS 261 and 362 are a little sturdier than their Husky counterparts. Of course, you pay for this with a bit of extra weight. .....

:hmm3grin2orange: Not sturdier, just larger, heavier, slower and more clumcy to handle! :biggrin:

I have got the 395...272..372..066..7900 038 mag...they are all powerhouse's..but for a firewood saw the 562 puts a grin on my face everytime I use it..it will downright fool ya..it rips..power to weight ratio is hard to beat..using a 20 inch bar on the 562 will be a bad combo for a firewoodsaw...

While I know you are giving us a hard time, I believe that under severe duty the MS 261 and 362 are a little sturdier than their Husky counterparts. Of course, you pay for this with a bit of extra weight. I drive most of them, and this is my experience. :dizzy:

I agree with you on the current Dolmars, although I still have a soft spot for my little 5100.

I agree, the Stihl seems to hold up better of extended misuse.. I used to think the very same way about the dolmar 5100.. I always hated the 346 for lack of torque. it was a high reving limbing saw that required a delicate touch... I loved the 5100 and praised it when I could, but after buying a 550xp from a member here with only a 7-8 tanks thu it, this thing frickin rips. Makes that little dolmar last years news. More power, more rpm in the cut, and over a pound lighter once fuel of fuel. I'm am throughly impressed. The 550xp has 60cc power in a 40cc case... Here are a few pics for size comparison between the 5100 and the 550xp.

0193C0E2-99DE-43F7-AEF2-FE8C16AA3123-4302-00000A0AE42005E5.jpg

888A7E76-3204-4976-A59A-D776E0F8546E-4302-00000A0AEDB9F504.jpg

E724C276-C594-4FF8-9CC1-408CFA850F6F-4302-00000A0AF36471F0.jpg

ultimate 2 saw plan right here.. although the little 550xp is a sweetheart, but once you fire it up and hit the throttle, she is the drunken redhead that everyone secretly wants. In all honesty, this little gem would do all of my cutting NEEDS.

92DBEEB7-B740-439F-86E1-A1939DFEDB4B-3629-0000086354572A87.jpg

Something that hasn't been brought up is your age, size, average tree size you'll be cutting, and how long you'll be cutting at one time. Younger & stronger, go with the 562xp w/20" bar for your 1-saw plan & keep one of your old saws to free up the occasional pinched bar. If I was 23 instead of 63, that's what I'd do. Good luck. Can't go wrong with either saw.

You are of course right, we really have too little info to give him any specific advice. :biggrin:

562xp or 550xp

Between the two, I'd rather have the 550xp w/18" bar.

I love my 562xp, but I usually don't need more than a good 50cc...

I agree, the Stihl seems to hold up better of extended misuse.. I used to think the very same way about the dolmar 5100.. I always hated the 346 for lack of torque. it was a high reving limbing saw that required a delicate touch... I loved the 5100 and praised it when I could, but after buying a 550xp from a member here with only a 7-8 tanks thu it, this thing frickin rips. Makes that little dolmar last years news. More power, more rpm in the cut, and over a pound lighter once fuel of fuel. I'm am throughly impressed. The 550xp has 60cc power in a 40cc case... Here are a few pics for size comparison between the 5100 and the 550xp.

0193C0E2-99DE-43F7-AEF2-FE8C16AA3123-4302-00000A0AE42005E5.jpg

Ok, now you're REALLY making me want a 550XP!

Freakingstang, 550 much better than 346-2153? I like a man with opinions.

Do you always keep your chains on the floor? I drive a nail in the wall and hang mine up.

Welcome!:clap:

:agree2:

Best one saw plan is a 60cc saw.

Best two saw plan is a 50cc & 70cc saw.

Best way to a two saw plan is start with a one saw plan. :msp_thumbsup:

:agree2:

That being said start with the 550, and when you decide that you want bigger than a 18" bar for the 26" oak that you find on your neighbors property (standing dead) 3 of them, then get a 372! Or a 575 or a 288, or a Stihl 441.......whatever 70cc+ saw you get tickled about.

Latest posts

Back