550 or 562 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do own a 550xp w/ 16 inch bar- and can support the claims of power/weight/fuel efficiency, and think smaller saws are typically used more than bigger ones especially if you are usually cutting under 18 inch.

Very true. Most guys will choose to pick up a lighter saw, as long as it's got the power to get the job done.

Many people who own a larger saw will come in looking for something smaller with the intention of only using it for limbing and such. But they usually end up using it way more often and on much larger wood than they expected. Especially if they get one of the better small saws like a 346 or the new 550. They frequently say something along the lines of, "I hardly ever use the big saw anymore".

Very true. Most guys will choose to pick up a lighter saw, as long as it's got the power to get the job done.

Many people who own a larger saw will come in looking for something smaller with the intention of only using it for limbing and such. But they usually end up using it way more often and on much larger wood than they expected. Especially if they get one of the better small saws like a 346 or the new 550. They frequently say something along the lines of, "I hardly ever use the big saw anymore".

Quite true. I miss my MS660, but with a 28" bar or less, my Stumpbroke 372 (granted apples to oranges in many ways not to mention the 372 being ported) will smoke my old 660 and is definitely lighter. Same concept here. I use my MS261 A LOT for the very same reasons and routinely use it to buck up to 18" wood, occasionally much larger depending on my mood. I very well may end up with either a 550 or a 562 for the same reasons. I will still buy a 395xp for when it's called for, but with my Dad and I being a decade plus older and a decade younger than the OP, having the pick of 2x each competent 50cc and 70cc saws, that's a recipe for firewood mayhem! And coming from the aircraft world, I like having redundant backups!

I would look around at other dealers too - maybe you kind find a better one in terms of price and/or service..

.I know of one more in my area I have to try yet. I am going to try the dealer locator option on husqvarnas web site & who sells them in my area.

I agree! I never really liked smaller saws because they didn't IMO have the versatility for bigger stuff.... Well the 550xp had changed that.... Love it

I am using my 455 rancher and have been for seveal months . Clear cuting and spacing and junking firewood. It works awesome and great power and cheaper. If I were to go to a xp the 550 would be lighter and turn up 10200 and a wee bit more power correct.....someone? 562 is a bit heavy on the nose I find . Doe's anyone own a 550xp and is it fine for the odd or some bigger hardwood? My rancher is fine but want a pro series if there is a difference .

I am using my 455 rancher and have been for seveal months . Clear cuting and spacing and junking firewood. It works awesome and great power and cheaper. If I were to go to a xp the 550 would be lighter and turn up 10200 and a wee bit more power correct.....someone? 562 is a bit heavy on the nose I find . Doe's anyone own a 550xp and is it fine for the odd or some bigger hardwood? My rancher is fine but want a pro series if there is a difference .
I have both a 550 and 562 that I use in a professional environment. The 550 xp will do fine for your use.

Rancher 455 is 12.8lbs and 3.49hp.
550XP is 10.8lbs and 3.75hp, though some of that hp is just due to running a higher RPM, and it doesn't feel quite as torquey.

Essentially, it'll feel a little zippier than your 455, and it'll feel like you're working with a saw of half the weight, after a couple hours.

562xp is basically the same weight as your 455 (how nose heavy it is depends on how long or heavy of a bar it has. The couple I've run didn't feel nose-heavy), but has 4.7hp.

Frankly, my Grandpa has run a 50cc pro (Jonsered 490, which he gave me after he won the next saw at a tree farmer's association get together) or "landowner" (Husky 351, current, and for the last 10-15 years or so?) saw keeping up 460 acres of tree farm, since 1980. He has a BIG old John Deere saw for when something really big needs cut, once a year or something, but almost everything else is done with a good 50cc saw.

Mike

I bought both a 550XP and a 562XP this summer. I like them both a lot. At my shop I can put any bar/chain combination I wish on a saw at purchase so I had the 550XP upped to a 3/8" chain and the 562XP moved down to a 16" bar to match all of the rest of my spares; makes the 562XP seem a little goofy looking that way. I cut a lot of small diameter on "pre-commercial" timber management work.

So I didn't really need the 562XP and the extra LB of weight in my hands. But I really bought it for my friends because once everyone knows you own and operate a small fleet of chainsaws, you become their go-to phone call when ice or lightning comes to visit their properties. And thus I just keep a 20" bar and chain ready to go but don't use it for daily use so I don't have to sharpen it very often. I have cut some large wood with a sharp 50cc class saw (previously have put well past 1,000 hours on a 346XP), but for felling a large diameter trunk I'd rather have the 60cc saw available now to better drive the long bar.

I like the 562XP for felling small trees because I can skip more notching. Not as safe, sure, but a bigger saw can blow through small wood before it has time to pinch, and that's kind of handy for getting it done through the day.

I always recommend "Pro" saws to people for the longevity / durability for anyone for most any use. I have been shopping with Stihl lately for a new clearing saw and that dealer doesn't bother stocking their "Pro" grade stuff because no one will spend the extra money. You don't need a "Pro" saw the first year you own it. Or probably the second. But in the third and fourth ...

I haven't been impressed with the Rancher saws I used so the 550 should put a smile on your face for both the performance gain and weight savings.

On a side note I'm curious what length bar the 562 was wearing that made it seem nose heavy?

Personally I'd stick with the 550 if your average tree is under 16" or go for the 562 if you are cutting larger trees with regularity. Also at least to me if you do a lot of limbing those two pounds of savings on the 550 are noticeable.

Rancher 455 is 12.8lbs and 3.49hp.
550XP is 10.8lbs and 3.75hp, though some of that hp is just due to running a higher RPM, and it doesn't feel quite as torquey.

Essentially, it'll feel a little zippier than your 455, and it'll feel like you're working with a saw of half the weight, after a couple hours.

562xp is basically the same weight as your 455 (how nose heavy it is depends on how long or heavy of a bar it has. The couple I've run didn't feel nose-heavy), but has 4.7hp.

Frankly, my Grandpa has run a 50cc pro (Jonsered 490, which he gave me after he won the next saw at a tree farmer's association get together) or "landowner" (Husky 351, current, and for the last 10-15 years or so?) saw keeping up 460 acres of tree farm, since 1980. He has a BIG old John Deere saw for when something really big needs cut, once a year or something, but almost everything else is done with a good 50cc saw.

Mike
Thanks man and 18" bar is my preference.

This is what I junk now with the 455 rancher . 550 be ok in this? I space and clear cut as well guys. Thanks for the replies

Attachments

• 20161003_140048.jpg
    20161003_140048.jpg
    776.9 KB · Views: 26
Some of that stuff looks like 372 territory, but most of it, I'd use the 550 on. Basically, if your 455 is OK with it, the 550 will be, too.

Mike

Then again, my Dad cut all of his fire wood from 1985 until I started getting saws (a few years ago), with an Echo 440EVL. It cuts through it all, it's just SLOOOOWWW, especially with a semi-chisel safety chain!

Mike

I tried a 550. It's fast but I actually prefer my 455 over it . Tried it in some average firewood. To light. Now what about a 555 over a 562?

First off, welcome to the site. But this isn't a great place to hang out if you only plan to buy one saw. :laugh:

I don't think a dealer who says he hasn't heard of the 550 would be a good choice to do business with. Might want to do a little more shopping.

Based on what you are saying about budget and being impressed with the 357, I'd say you ought to take a look at the 555. It falls between the 550 and 562 in both power and price, and it will outcut a 357 by a slight margin. It really only differs from the 562 by having a different coil and slightly different combustion chamber. It's a pretty good value based on your stated needs. And despite what some here will say, you don't have to have an "XP" decal on the saw to cut wood. :msp_smile:

Wait, what? It DOESN'T have to be an xp?! Old thread, I know, but that statement surprises me!

Back