550xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a new 346 at a dealer today but don't need another 50cc saw. so they're still out there. Woods logging in Longview Wa. had a few a month ago but don't know now if they're still there.

Thanks a lot but I've called prob 15-20 dealers up to prob 75-80mi from me and nothing for help wanna buy a 346 I can find a truck load seems like!!! So what b/c are u running
The dealers will come around as the 346's dry up.

But I sure wouldn't turn my nose up at the 346xp. :msp_wink:

I haven't really decided would really like to have both in hands so I could make up my mind between 346&550 and none will come off retail on a 346 had one guy offer to take 1/2 off a extra chain big deal knock $10 off retail on a cash sale every new saw I ever bought they always throw in a chain or 2 or gal of oil!!!!!! Like I told em I know times are tough but don't know about you but when I buy a new car I don't pay sticker price lol

The 390xp has to be ported to run with a 660 or did I read that wrong

A ported 390xp will smoke a 395xp or a 660. A tock 390 will run right on the heels of a stock 660. A 660 has a little more torque with a longer bar in big wood. A 395xp has a little more torque than the 660. There's not much of a spread between the three, power-wise.
The 390xp is just a good feeling saw in the hands. very nice to cut with if you need a bigger saw. I'd rather have a 660 over a 395xp, but thats just me. I don't like the bulkiness of the 395xp. Not a saw I'd like to haul around he woods all day when a 390 will do about anything a 660 or a 395xp will do.
The 390 responds really well to porting also, if you decide to go that route. They are mean machines when ported.

A ported 390xp will smoke a 395xp or a 660. A tock 390 will run right on the heels of a stock 660. A 660 has a little more torque with a longer bar in big wood. A 395xp has a little more torque than the 660. There's not much of a spread between the three, power-wise.
The 390xp is just a good feeling saw in the hands. very nice to cut with if you need a bigger saw. I'd rather have a 660 over a 395xp, but thats just me. I don't like the bulkiness of the 395xp. Not a saw I'd like to haul around he woods all day when a 390 will do about anything a 660 or a 395xp will do.
The 390 responds really well to porting also, if you decide to go that route. They are mean machines when ported.

The 390 feels more along the lines of a heafty 70cc saw, with the power to rip. I don't many want to pack a 90cc saw around the woods all day, maybe in an overgrown site where it's just tree to tree. Now of your doing selectional falling where an environmental engineer has come through an designated what trees to cut I would go with any of the 90cc saws. But I for day in and day out stumping or for BIG wood you can't replace cc's with any port job nor can you replicate what a 395 will handle with all the Heavy Duty hardware it sports.

That's kind of how it was when I went to get one as well, I would call some more dealers in your area and let the ones who have not heard of it know, that you will have to take your business elsewhere - they will pretty quickly learn about it. I really think some of the techs are intimated by AutoTune carbs, or possibly that their tuning abilities might be obsoleted? I am now on my 5th tank with my 550xp, I can attest to the power/fuel consumption/weight ratio as outstanding, however there are a few glitches as far as starting it cold, and it runs oddly at times as it finds itself, so some may not like that..

As far as price, I have heard here you can get them for 500, but retail has been 579 and up depending on bar..

I had a few issues as well. But now it may be the best starting saw I have ever owned.
Cold start make sure you pump the air purge about 6 times with choke on. Mine starts 2nd pull everytime.
Warm start I make sure that the saw is on fast idle and it's usually 1 pull.

Hope that helps.
John

I don't even need to fast idle my 550 any more. One or two pulls when hot and it's rolling.

I've never needed to fast idle warm with my 562AT, but using the purge bulb makes quick starts, warm or cold.

The only time I really use the purge bulb is when I first start my 550xp or when I run it out of gas. It really helps when it runs out of gas otherwise the auto-tune doesn't know what to do and acts up until it gets a steady supply of fuel (fair I guess). I still find that I need to use fast idle to get it going when warm most of the time. I have about 35+ tanks through it.

The only time I really use the purge bulb is when I first start my 550xp or when I run it out of gas. It really helps when it runs out of gas otherwise the auto-tune doesn't know what to do and acts up until it gets a steady supply of fuel (fair I guess). I still find that I need to use fast idle to get it going when warm most of the time. I have about 35+ tanks through it.

If it works, that's fine.

Have you tried the air purge for warm starts instead of fast idle?

I thought about buying a couple 550's but i hate the thought of not using my 346's so i haven't bought any yet.

Latest posts

Back