550xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think about the only thing I'm going to do to the 550 is put the 8 pin and get the muffler mod to get more of that husq sound but the ms 650 that my be a difference the ms201t needs help to

Ive had REALLY good luck with the 201T's. Check out Blsnelling's how to on the 201, lots of good info there. All mine have been very strong, on par or a little better than a 200T.

From what I hear, a MM really makes a difference on the already very strong 550.

I understand they gain more from just a muffler mod than most other saws - but gain a little less from other work than some other saws as well.....:msp_unsure:

Bang for the buck you can't beat it. I've done four of them for members here and it has been all smiles!

I would do a mm on the 550 and 650 201t but you have got to remember I'm a fireman I tear up more then I fix I would like to make it look nice and neat

Bang for the buck you can't beat it. I've done four of them for members here and it has been all smiles!

Have you done any work to the baffle on the 550 muffler yet? Or ar you putting a small hole next to the stock one (outside the baffle) under the deflector.
I dont know how soon Ill get to mine, but thought I would ask.

The mm I have done guts the muffler completely and blends everything in... With that being said no performance gains were noticed compared to just adding a passage way for better flow to the stock port location. Gain of gutting the whole muffler is minimal weight savings. Save the time and effort, that's my 2 cents

The mm I have done guts the muffler completely and blends everything in... With that being said no performance gains were noticed compared to just adding a passage way for better flow to the stock port location. Gain of gutting the whole muffler is minimal weight savings. Save the time and effort, that's my 2 cents

I did browse through and look at your work (nice job btw). Reminds me of what I did on the 6421 cat muffler, and I wouldnt do that again either. I will more than likely go that extra port route, but I have done baffle work on other saws where it did pan out. Honestly, Im so happy with my 550 and is in such another world as my 260 that Im not in a rush to mess with it.

I did browse through and look at your work (nice job btw). Reminds me of what I did on the 6421 cat muffler, and I wouldnt do that again either. I will more than likely go that extra port route, but I have done baffle work on other saws where it did pan out. Honestly, Im so happy with my 550 and is in such another world as my 260 that Im not in a rush to mess with it.

I'm completely sold on the 550, when the 70cc version appears, I guarantee ill have one on order!

It would appear that just doubling the factory outlet size maximizes output. Any more just makes it louder with no additional gains.

The different sizes are on different "platforms". Sadly, the 70cc one likely will have an inboard clutch, as well as being larger.

Any idea mr. Troll of that happening? Is there even any talk about it? Or is the 576 going to keep the 70cc spot filled for a while?

I'm willing to wager we'll see in the future a 590AT. That pretty much will cover the "CC spectrum" :clap:

My take on the 550XP muffler is that the strat design does not require as much exhaust outlet area as other saws. The fact that I got similar gains after porting leads me to believe that the area created by a second adjacent port is sufficient.

Have you done any work to the baffle on the 550 muffler yet? Or ar you putting a small hole next to the stock one (outside the baffle) under the deflector.
I dont know how soon Ill get to mine, but thought I would ask.

IMO the internal baffles on the 550 are free flowing..no need to remove them. Can't say that for some of the other muffs I've seen.

Any idea mr. Troll of that happening? Is there even any talk about it? Or is the 576 going to keep the 70cc spot filled for a while?

The 576xp is suffering from being one of the heavy first generaton strato saws, so it is bound to be replaced as soon as possible. It was never able to really replace the 372xp, the 372xpXT is ample evidence of that. :msp_wink:

What bar and chain are most of you running I sure like the looks of the sugihara bar but in a 16" I see it comes in 58 gauge

Learned today that the 455 Rancher is getting ATII, and there are plans for a new generation 70somethingcc saw but no details beyond that. Told the guy sign me up for one :msp_biggrin:

Back