562xp dead after 1hr - what should I expect?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StVenant

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi. I’ve lurked a bit here, but this is my first post. Apologies for the length.

Last Tuesday, I picked up a new Husky 562xp to buck a 120’ spruce that came down behind my house. After doing some limbing for a few days with my cs2245, I brought out my new saw to get started taking the trunk apart. It was a bit of a fight to get started, but once it was running, the saw was a pleasure to use. I shut it down a couple times and it hot started (using high idle) without much issue.

On my my 2nd or 3rd refuel, the saw died at low idle and sputtered like it wasn’t getting enough fuel when I gave it some throttle. I ran the high idle for a minute or so and it seemed to straighten itself out. I chalked the sputter up to an air bubble needing time be worked out of the fuel line. After running the saw for a bit, I shut it down again and was no longer able to get it to hot start no matter how I tried. Concerned (and worn out), I put it back on the workbench and decided to give it a shot at a cold start in the morning.

The next day, the saw still wouldn’t start. Doing a little searching here and elsewhere online, I saw some related complaints on the 562 about vapor lock, air leaks and fuel solenoids. Becoming increasingly concerned, I pulled the muffler and found a scored up piston, then pulled the plug and found an ashy electrode. Definitely looked like it had been running hot & lean. I brought the saw back to my dealer that morning and was told it would be Monday before the mechanic could take a look. I’ve spent all weekend pacing the floor over it.

What should I expect here? This seems like a pretty bad failure to me. Am I likely to get much pushback asking for a warranty? Between this fast failure and what I’ve read online, I’m not super confident in the model anymore. I’d be happiest if the dealer/Husky would let me pay the difference to buy a 572xp instead. Is that unrealistic?

95% chance the tech does a comp test and muffler pull and says it was straight gassed and not warranteed. A good tech will pull it down, and look for signs of heat and oil...indicating it leaned out.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Here’s the thing though, I’ve got at least 6 tanks of the same mixed gas (using oil purchased at the same dealer) that were run though my Jonsered without issue. Is it really likely that they’ll just tell me to buzz off?

Here’s the thing though, I’ve got at least 6 tanks of the same mixed gas (using oil purchased at the same dealer) that were run though my Jonsered without issue. Is it really likely that they’ll just tell me to buzz off?
Is intake side scored? Looking through exhaust port.

More likely than he will likely put the blamed on you. If the dealer is willing, pay the difference than get yourself a 572. When running right the 562 is a nice saw, but I've yet to see one that will run flawlessly, most are just flat out POS not worth messing around with IMHO.

From a shops standpoint they have to ride a fine line between...fixing a legitimate problem and dealing with people who screwed up and want their mistake fixed free. Failures i see are 90% user error and 10% legit failures and more than half of the user errors they have tried to hide it from me. A good tech has ways to tell but its more involved than ripping off the muffler and doing a comp test.

I'd take zero in the way of **** off the dealer. But give them one chance to make it right first.
My dealer would hand me a new one and deal with the other one on his end. The way it should be. That's why he gets a bunch of my annual income.

Best thing to do is go in honest...tell em what happened, offer no insight into anything you have done to it for troubleshooting. Yes i know exclusion is lying, but if you start talking about taking it apart your odds go down.

Funny thought they had the issues hammered out years ago.... even funnier thing is my 2012 model 562xp hasn't ever given me any crap, as many others will attest as well. Any new failure should be looked at as such. Possible defect. It makes me sick when a dealer goes oh you straight gassed it, or the fuel is bad.

I thought the 562 and 555 had basically the same engine. Is the 562xp really less reliable that the 555? Just wondering as I am considering getting a 555. I have run a 359 for years and like that size saw.

I thought the 562 and 555 had basically the same engine. Is the 562xp really less reliable that the 555? Just wondering as I am considering getting a 555. I have run a 359 for years and like that size saw.
Everything I’d read was positive - until I started googling the specific symptoms I was observing. To be fair, most of the other complaints I’ve seen are from 5+ years ago.

Some of that is do to the fact many of the issue have been resolved, and people around here are staying away from them. I still get asked questions about them in PM's, and they're new threads on other forums about how to deal with managing the heat problems that are ongoing. I used some heat reflective material on the divider between the engine and carb, some are saying the hot air from the engine is blowing on the handle and transferring the heat to the fuel tank. So yes people are still having problems.

My personal that has some mode to help deal with heat, is still very finicky. Once going with it's muffler opened up, it does run strong.

More or less, the 555 doesnt have crank stuffers and uses different transfer covers. I have a 359, that's what I had before my 562xp, it's still an amazing running saw (ported) but the 562xp is just a smoother more powerful saw. It runs right with my 359. Like mentioned the earlier ones had issues. I did a muff mod to mine shortly after I bought it and did the extra vent hole in the cover when I saw one of the guys on here post up about it. Both seemed to help with getting rid of the heat. Guess I just got a good one.

Hi. I’ve lurked a bit here, but this is my first post. Apologies for the length.

Last Tuesday, I picked up a new Husky 562xp to buck a 120’ spruce that came down behind my house. After doing some limbing for a few days with my cs2245, I brought out my new saw to get started taking the trunk apart. It was a bit of a fight to get started, but once it was running, the saw was a pleasure to use. I shut it down a couple times and it hot started (using high idle) without much issue.

On my my 2nd or 3rd refuel, the saw died at low idle and sputtered like it wasn’t getting enough fuel when I gave it some throttle. I ran the high idle for a minute or so and it seemed to straighten itself out. I chalked the sputter up to an air bubble needing time be worked out of the fuel line. After running the saw for a bit, I shut it down again and was no longer able to get it to hot start no matter how I tried. Concerned (and worn out), I put it back on the workbench and decided to give it a shot at a cold start in the morning.

The next day, the saw still wouldn’t start. Doing a little searching here and elsewhere online, I saw some related complaints on the 562 about vapor lock, air leaks and fuel solenoids. Becoming increasingly concerned, I pulled the muffler and found a scored up piston, then pulled the plug and found an ashy electrode. Definitely looked like it had been running hot & lean. I brought the saw back to my dealer that morning and was told it would be Monday before the mechanic could take a look. I’ve spent all weekend pacing the floor over it.

What should I expect here? This seems like a pretty bad failure to me. Am I likely to get much pushback asking for a warranty? Between this fast failure and what I’ve read online, I’m not super confident in the model anymore. I’d be happiest if the dealer/Husky would let me pay the difference to buy a 572xp instead. Is that unrealistic?
How old was the gas... from the pump? What kind of container was it stored in... Metal or plastic? Old gas can contribute to overheating issues on saws that are already too lean/hot.

How old was the gas... from the pump? What kind of container was it stored in... Metal or plastic? Old gas can contribute to overheating issues on saws that are already too lean/hot.

What is the implication from using a metal or plastic gas container?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back