562xp dead after 1hr - what should I expect?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. I’ve lurked a bit here, but this is my first post. Apologies for the length.

Last Tuesday, I picked up a new Husky 562xp to buck a 120’ spruce that came down behind my house. After doing some limbing for a few days with my cs2245, I brought out my new saw to get started taking the trunk apart. It was a bit of a fight to get started, but once it was running, the saw was a pleasure to use. I shut it down a couple times and it hot started (using high idle) without much issue.

On my my 2nd or 3rd refuel, the saw died at low idle and sputtered like it wasn’t getting enough fuel when I gave it some throttle. I ran the high idle for a minute or so and it seemed to straighten itself out. I chalked the sputter up to an air bubble needing time be worked out of the fuel line. After running the saw for a bit, I shut it down again and was no longer able to get it to hot start no matter how I tried. Concerned (and worn out), I put it back on the workbench and decided to give it a shot at a cold start in the morning.

The next day, the saw still wouldn’t start. Doing a little searching here and elsewhere online, I saw some related complaints on the 562 about vapor lock, air leaks and fuel solenoids. Becoming increasingly concerned, I pulled the muffler and found a scored up piston, then pulled the plug and found an ashy electrode. Definitely looked like it had been running hot & lean. I brought the saw back to my dealer that morning and was told it would be Monday before the mechanic could take a look. I’ve spent all weekend pacing the floor over it.

What should I expect here? This seems like a pretty bad failure to me. Am I likely to get much pushback asking for a warranty? Between this fast failure and what I’ve read online, I’m not super confident in the model anymore. I’d be happiest if the dealer/Husky would let me pay the difference to buy a 572xp instead. Is that unrealistic?

If your running fresh gas at least 50 to 1 you didn’t do anything wrong and don’t let the dealer tell you otherwise.

How old was the gas... from the pump? What kind of container was it stored in... Metal or plastic? Old gas can contribute to overheating issues on saws that are already too lean/hot.
Gas was pumped a month ago and stored in a 2 gal plastic gas can.

Gas was pumped a month ago and stored in a 2 gal plastic gas can.
Was it in a hot garage or outside? If really only a month old it should still be good, any longer than that pump fuel would be suspicious. If kept in a hot humid garage it won't last but a few weeks at best, outside in the sun a couple days. Pump fuel goes bad really fast especially in the summer. With pump fuel I only keep around what I'm using within a week or two, ethanol free in a good metal can six months maybe more, canned fuel I burn up long before it would ever go bad.

Was it in a hot garage or outside? If really only a month old it should still be good, any longer than that pump fuel would be suspicious. If kept in a hot humid garage it won't last but a few weeks at best, outside in the sun a couple days. Pump fuel goes bad really fast especially in the summer. With pump fuel I only keep around what I'm using within a week or two, ethanol free in a good metal can six months maybe more, canned fuel I burn up long before it would ever go bad.
It’s hot outside, but not that hot here in the NE. The can is stored in my barn, so it doesn’t see much direct sunlight. Like I said earlier, I’ve run at least six tanks worth of the same fuel through my 45cc Jonsered with no issue.

It’s hot outside, but not that hot here in the NE. The can is stored in my barn, so it doesn’t see much direct sunlight. Like I said earlier, I’ve run at least six tanks worth of the same fuel through my 45cc Jonsered with no issue.
There are lots of variables that come into play here. The other saw may be tuned real rich, so it may endure not the best fuel, may not be spinning the same rpm, loos tolerances and so on. Keeping fuel in a plastic can, in a barn, in the summer longer than a week maybe two, is a no go! What is not MUCH direct sunlight?

That all said it still may very well not be the cause of the failure, proper diagnosis will determine that, but it's not a good start. Good fresh fuel is very important in two cycle equipment, especially higher output engines.

Highly doubt it's your fuel.possible bar oil leak.being you said the plug looked ashy.been there before.they get pretty darn hot with bar oil getting into the cylinder.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Highly doubt it's your fuel.possible bar oil leak.being you said the plug looked ashy.been there before.they get pretty darn hot with bar oil getting into the cylinder.

Bar oil getting into the the cylinder??? That would mean a failed case gasket, the saw would smoke like crazy and oil would be coming out the muffler, this is not the problem!!!! Not saying for sure fuel was the problem, as I don't have the saw on my bench, but that's the way I'm leaning.

Bar oil getting into the the cylinder??? That would mean a failed case gasket, the saw would smoke like crazy and oil would be coming out the muffler, this is not the problem!!!! Not saying for sure fuel was the problem, as I don't have the saw on my bench, but that's the way I'm leaning.
Ok

No-one has mentioned autotune. Does this saw not have it?
If so, the log will tell the story.
Yes all 562's have AT. The AT system will give an you an idea of fuel quality, fuel settings, engine temps and faults. However most of the time you still need to preform a run of the mill diagnosis, especially if you're hunting down an air leak. The system really only give you basic information.[emoji111]

There are lots of variables that come into play here. The other saw may be tuned real rich, so it may endure not the best fuel, may not be spinning the same rpm, loos tolerances and so on. Keeping fuel in a plastic can, in a barn, in the summer longer than a week maybe two, is a no go! What is not MUCH direct sunlight?

That all said it still may very well not be the cause of the failure, proper diagnosis will determine that, but it's not a good start. Good fresh fuel is very important in two cycle equipment, especially higher output engines.

I use 100LL for my mix and store it in metal Coleman fuel cans. You can't mix up cans that way. Stays fresh for many months even in summer. If the mix stays in a saw for many months, it gets fed to my 1940 Ford 9N tractor. That tractor will run most any fuel.

Yes all 562's have AT. The AT system will give an you an idea of fuel quality, fuel settings, engine temps and faults. However most of the time you still need to preform a run of the mill diagnosis, especially if you're hunting down an air leak. The system really only give you basic information.[emoji111]
Sure it's not magic but AT should show the throttle position at startup, main-jet solenoid dwell, rpm and temperature response, etc, over time, which will verify the owners experience.

I use 100LL for my mix and store it in metal Coleman fuel cans. You can't mix up cans that way. Stays fresh for many months even in summer. If the mix stays in a saw for many months, it gets fed to my 1940 Ford 9N tractor. That tractor will run most any fuel.
Great fuel for storage! but I personally don't recommend it for a few reasons. Too high octane and I prefer not to breathe in or eat lead. Don't know how AT saws would like it or not?

What is the implication from using a metal or plastic gas container?

Most plastic containers don't seal very well to begin with and will let the fuel vapors that are needed to cool the saw out through the leaks. The other issue is that the plastic is somewhat permeable to the fuel vapors as well. I have never seen a tightly sealed metal can that leak vapor or inhale moisture laden air. Can't say the same for plastic.

Last metal can i bought expanded then sucked itself into a wad when it cooled in mt shop that night.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Last metal can i bought expanded then sucked itself into a wad when it cooled in mt shop that night.
Never seen that. I fact, I have a 30 year old Eagle 2.5 gal gas can that is tightly sealed and may expand a little (on the bottom) in the heat but nothing permanent. I have also used gallon rectangular solvent containers for mixing and round Moto-Mix containers for field transport without incident.

It sounds like you got a really thin metal container that leaked under pressure and sealed under vacuum or got a hold of some fuel with really high vapor pressure.

Back