562xp dead after 1hr - what should I expect?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he was running stihl hp ultra oil, it has fuel stabilizers in it. I too mix in a metal 2.5 gal can. But cant say I've ever worried about keeping it for a month or two, normally it doesnt last that long.

She’s dead Jim. Classic straight gas. I own a first year model 562xp. You know the ones with all the problems. Other than taking two pulls to start hot, never has it let me down. Goes like a bird with a flame up her azz. Great saw! Saw is like driving a MX-5. Puts a smile on your face you just cant wash off.

If he was running stihl hp ultra oil, it has fuel stabilizers in it. I too mix in a metal 2.5 gal can. But cant say I've ever worried about keeping it for a month or two, normally it doesnt last that long.
Fuel stabilizer don't work the way most think they do. Pump fuel doesn't last long period. 99% of the equipment I've had to fix that weren't directly operator error, is fuel related. The only two stabilizers that may work to some degree are, StarTron and Sta-Bil marin ethanol. Believe it or not most stabilizers contain alcohol.

A month or two in a good can will be ok though.

Fuel stabilizer don't work the way most think they do. Pump fuel doesn't last long period. 99% of the equipment I've had to fix that weren't directly operator error, is fuel related. The only two stabilizers that may work to some degree are, StarTron and Sta-Bil marin ethanol. Believe it or not most stabilizers contain alcohol.

A month or two in a good can will be ok though.

Are you talking ethanol or non-ethanol gas?

I've personally had non-ethanol premix keep usable for 3 - 4 years.

Dropped by the dealer today. They said the gas obviously had oil in it but the tint looked mixed light. Hard to imagine how when I only use a 2 gal can and just dump 2 X 2.6 oz bottles of oil when I fill it up. (My 2245 seems not to mind the same gas at all.) Dealer said they went to bat for me with Husqvarna, but husky was having none of it.

They did offer me a good faith price on a new saw. I can’t put up with downtime right now. So I think I’ll buy a 572 powerhead and put a new top end on this 562 on my own time.

She’s dead Jim. Classic straight gas. I own a first year model 562xp. You know the ones with all the problems. Other than taking two pulls to start hot, never has it let me down. Goes like a bird with a flame up her azz. Great saw! Saw is like driving a MX-5. Puts a smile on your face you just cant wash off.

How many hours on that saw?

Never seen that. I fact, I have a 30 year old Eagle 2.5 gal gas can that is tightly sealed and may expand a little (on the bottom) in the heat but nothing permanent. I have also used gallon rectangular solvent containers for mixing and round Moto-Mix containers for field transport without incident.

It sounds like you got a really thin metal container that leaked under pressure and sealed under vacuum or got a hold of some fuel with really high vapor pressure.

that kind-of-thing happens all the time. That's why any fuel container needs a vent.

Dropped by the dealer today. They said the gas obviously had oil in it but the tint looked mixed light. Hard to imagine how when I only use a 2 gal can and just dump 2 X 2.6 oz bottles of oil when I fill it up. (My 2245 seems not to mind the same gas at all.) Dealer said they went to bat for me with Husqvarna, but husky was having none of it.

They did offer me a good faith price on a new saw. I can’t put up with downtime right now. So I think I’ll buy a 572 powerhead and put a new top end on this 562 on my own time.
Time to find a new dealer and write the president of Husky USA a nasty letter!

Ethanol. Fuel still breaks down, gets bacteria and looses octane though. But yes non eth lasts much much longer.[emoji111]
Right on, that's why I asked what kind of gas, ethanol gas is so bad I won't use it in anything except my car. High quality non-ethanol, especially premix, has surprised me how long it can last .

Any idea what the intake side of the piston looked like?

I would tend to think if your intake side also looked bad would indicate not enough lubrication. If the intake looks ok but exhaust side is thrashed, more likely ran lean.

I could be wrong though

You need to walk into the shop where you took your saw and ask for your saw back, video this,
video yourself asking where Husqvarna sent the sample of fuel from your saw for testing, record the response,
if you don’t want to do this, then get your saw back, and write to thhe shop and Husqvarna and ask them
for a copy of the test results stating that the fuel was not mixed, that shop owner is not batting for you,
how could he be, it was most likely him or a member of his staff that formed the opinion your fuel was not mixed,
else Husqvarna must be physic.

In any event, why would you buy off Husqvarna or anyone who would blame you for not mixing fuel right
if you are certain you did mix it correctly, that’s like accepting you are wrong, which would be ok If you are.

Its up to you of course, only you know what the truth of the matter is.

Either way, strip your old saw and post here, or send it to one of the builders on here to rebuild, that
way you will get to work and not end up buying a new saw. Husqvarna can’t stop you doing this,
they basically dumped you and blamed you, they can’t hold you from fixing your own saw.

Latest posts

Back