562xp dead after 1hr - what should I expect?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back from the dealer where I’d planned to be buying a new powerhead this morning, but came home with a chance that I’d get a better resolution instead.

One of the owners asked me to give him another day with the saw. He again brought up that the fuel looked light, but then brought out the saw with the jug pulled off to show me the piston. 90+ degrees worth of the exhaust side is scored like crazy, but only one small (~5mm wide) patch of scoring to the right of the intake port. I’m definitely no scientician on these things, but there is a significant difference between the hot & cold side of the piston that in my (non-expert) opinion suggests it was running very lean.

He said he wanted the extra day to pull the data off the computer and re-present the case to a different guy at husky. This shop is generally well liked in the area and he really does appear to be trying to help me out. Fingers crossed.

Everyone has different experiences. I have cut a lot of wood, and before I knew better I often did so with questionable fuel and substandard (tcw-3) oil. Never burned up a saw due to any of that.

I cannot fathom that fuel a few weeks old, stored indoors would have caused this saw to burn down within that time. I am going to say it was either AT failure or an air leak, or both.

I hope Husky will work with you. Clearly they deal with some sham warranty cases but sounds to me like yours is legit.

Back from the dealer where I’d planned to be buying a new powerhead this morning, but came home with a chance that I’d get a better resolution instead.

One of the owners asked me to give him another day with the saw. He again brought up that the fuel looked light, but then brought out the saw with the jug pulled off to show me the piston. 90+ degrees worth of the exhaust side is scored like crazy, but only one small (~5mm wide) patch of scoring to the right of the intake port. I’m definitely no scientician on these things, but there is a significant difference between the hot & cold side of the piston that in my (non-expert) opinion suggests it was running very lean.

He said he wanted the extra day to pull the data off the computer and re-present the case to a different guy at husky. This shop is generally well liked in the area and he really does appear to be trying to help me out. Fingers crossed.
If you are 100% certain you added 2 small bottles of oil to your 2 gallons of gas that was less than a month old, your saw burned down because and only because it was running a lean fuel mixture. I'd stake my reputation on it. (Assuming I have a reputation).

I had a guy torch a couple saws who was adamant that he was properly mixing his fuel. I asked to see his fuel can and he produced a "1 gallon" jug and said that he uses "those little walmart bottles" of oil. He said he just fills the jug and adds the oil... well, turns out that when measured accurately, that 1 gallon jug held almost 1-1/2 gallon. He was running 70+:1 :omg: Weed wackers could run it but his saws were being scorched.

Pour a sample of fuel from your can and take a picture. We can tell if your mix is off.

I had a guy torch a couple saws who was adamant that he was properly mixing his fuel. I asked to see his fuel can and he produced a "1 gallon" jug and said that he uses "those little walmart bottles" of oil. He said he just fills the jug and adds the oil... well, turns out that when measured accurately, that 1 gallon jug held almost 1-1/2 gallon. He was running 70+:1 :omg: Weed wackers could run it but his saws were being scorched.

Pour a sample of fuel from your can and take a picture. We can tell if your mix is off.

Already burnt up what was left of that can in my 2245. No issues.

The dealer saved a Snapple bottle of what they pulled from my 562, so I’ll snap a pic if they still have it when I go back in.

70:1 with good oil should be fine. I run everything on 70:1 opti2.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Im curious also if the op pumped 2 gallons or filled a "2 gallon can" ?

My can holds more like 2.5 gallons to the top which is a guess because I've never topped it off

The saw only has an hour of time on it, even with a bad air leak, AT saws are known to compensate for air leaks, allowing for longer run time with an air leak than a regular carb ssw. I do agree the dealer has no idea how much oil is in the fuel, unless maybe it was actually clear. The fuel was sitting in a barn for at least a month, in the summer and at least in partial sunlight. The fuel was bad IMHO.

I would consider this as a lesson learned.
Also, we have not seen any printouts of saws diagnostics. You know what can be gathered from those results. Also, later states intake side had scoring, sounds like I have heard this before. Myself, I have never heard of anyone using the wrong can of fuel or filling fuel tank with bar oil. Believe this is between dealer and op and rest of us are just back seat drivers.

Im curious also if the op pumped 2 gallons or filled a "2 gallon can" ?

My can holds more like 2.5 gallons to the top which is a guess because I've never topped it off

I just filled my 2 gal can from a bigger can I bought for my generator. The can will take a little more than 2 at the pump but not 2.5. I don’t fill the thing to the brim.

Even in the imaginary case where I’d somehow shoehorned a whole 1/2 gallon more in there (which I can’t), the mix would still be around 60:1. I find it hard to accept that even that scenario would fry a saw in an hour.

My 2 cents (not that anybody ever asks for it) is a combination of things all to the minus side.
1. The first clue is that he had a rather large trunk which he was "saving for the big saw". Making cut after cut with out time for the saw to cool down is hard on any saw.
2. The saw was new. Most engines need a little break in time to get the rings, piston, bearings etc set. It will naturally run a little warm until then.
3. For me 50:1 is an absolute No No. I am sure with an ideal situation it is OK but this was not ideal.
4. It was probably a warm or hot day. The hotter the temperature the hotter the saw will run.
5. Throw in an AT that was just brand new and who knows.
6. Maybe marginal on the gas too.
7. Chain may have become a little dull by the end of that hour.
Still with all this said, Husqvarna should be willing to work with a guy that put out his good money to buy a good piece of equipment.

Hmm funny they told me to do just that when I got mine. Just wondering if it was still a thing, guess not. Thanks.
They were just going by older information. I but a new carb on my 550 with fresh firmware and it adjusted itself within one medium size cut, the 572 is even faster.[emoji111]

I use 90 non ethonal for my small engines. I keep mix stored in metal cans for 6-8 months, shake it up every time I use some. No problems yet. Use it in one autotune and a couple regular carb saws, blowers etc. Before the non eth was available, I had trouble with fuel gumming up the carbs after a couple months. The engines wouldn't even start with bad gas.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Two months in a good can was all I could be from the pump fuel around here without some type of running issue in a modern saw. The old iron with less compression was less affected. Now if you try to run winter blend above 75° good luck.

Agreed on the age of the gas. I appreciate and plan to take to heart all the advice on improving my fueling. But if gas spending less than a month in a plastic gas can in a barn where the only exposure to direct sunlight would have been through an open window was enough to kill a brand new chainsaw, then most people would be blowing up their equipment left & right - and my other equipment fueled from that same can should be going up in a mushroom cloud. Heck, I put staybil in every can - just in case I don’t use it up fast enough - but it seems unreasonable that it should even be necessary for a month or less.
Fuel is the number one issue with handheld two cycle equipment.

Everyone has different experiences. I have cut a lot of wood, and before I knew better I often did so with questionable fuel and substandard (tcw-3) oil. Never burned up a saw due to any of that.

I cannot fathom that fuel a few weeks old, stored indoors would have caused this saw to burn down within that time. I am going to say it was either AT failure or an air leak, or both.

I hope Husky will work with you. Clearly they deal with some sham warranty cases but sounds to me like yours is legit.
What is an AT failure? I have yet to hear of an AT failure.

Fuel is the number one issue with handheld two cycle equipment.
Understood, but what you’re proposing here sounds a little extreme.

Every home in America probably has 2 or 3 of these motors on average. If gas became liquified nuclear control rods on the 29th day subsequent to being pumped, at least half of those motors would be munched every month.

If that’s the case, I need to get into the business of selling 2 stroke equipment.

That's just foolish!!!!
Thats what they recommend. They tested it to 150:1 with no wear or damage so 70:1 has lots of cushion. Ive converted alot of my customers to it and they now swear by it. Opti2 at 70:1 had been around decades and no one reports any issues ive seen

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back