562xp dead after 1hr - what should I expect?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good lord, Matlock. What interest do I have in BSing you?
Matlock lol I like that one, I prefer Columbo a little more though[emoji6]. It comes from experience, and what you've already said. I'm I 100% this was fuel related? no, absolutely not. But it sounds at least like a contributing factor.

Hope you get this resolved one way or another.

What is an AT failure? I have yet to hear of an AT failure.
Auto tune not working properly and running too lean?

I was told by a former member and saw builder (no, not Mr Big Head) that a 562 was tuned slightly lean of optimum in the best of cases so if anything goes wrong there is not much insurance from lean burn down.

I just filled my 2 gal can from a bigger can I bought for my generator. The can will take a little more than 2 at the pump but not 2.5. I don’t fill the thing to the brim.

Even in the imaginary case where I’d somehow shoehorned a whole 1/2 gallon more in there (which I can’t), the mix would still be around 60:1. I find it hard to accept that even that scenario would fry a saw in an hour.
60:1 with a new tight saw breaking in, on older gas, with oil designed for 50:1 could all lead to failure.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Understood, but what you’re proposing here sounds a little extreme.

Every home in America probably has 2 or 3 of these motors on average. If gas became liquified nuclear control rods on the 29th day subsequent to being pumped, at least half of those motors would be munched every month.

If that’s the case, I need to get into the business of selling 2 stroke equipment.
Most of that equipment is weed eaters and blowers, they can run on 100:1 mix or crap fuel and do so for a long time. Try the same in a brand new saw bucking up a large round, it won't work out so well.

If you work on this stuff long enough, you learn why most average people hate their equipment and can never get anything started, that's when they come to guys like many of us here. It's pretty much always fuel and or fuel system related. I get a few things that have scorched top ends, mostly tree company saws, ran on poor tuning/fuel or with a plugged air filter, or no air filter lol.

I have a Echo blower here right now, owner said it won't start. Well I dumped the fuel/water out, put fresh fuel in and it fired in two pulls, tuned it and the owner was amazed. To some it's like black magic, yet it's so simple in reality. It sat over the winter in his shed with fuel in it. Southern Ohio is extremely warm and humid in the summer, this is what happens.

Auto tune not working properly and running too lean?

I was told by a former member and saw builder (no, not Mr Big Head) that a 562 was tuned slightly lean of optimum in the best of cases so if anything goes wrong there is not much insurance from lean burn down.

As far as I know no AT has ever failed that way. Not saying it hasn't or can't. Bob told me if anything they go rich if their is an air leak, which can cover up a lean condition for a long time. [emoji111]

Thats what they recommend. They tested it to 150:1 with no wear or damage so 70:1 has lots of cushion. Ive converted alot of my customers to it and they now swear by it. Opti2 at 70:1 had been around decades and no one reports any issues ive seen

In some equipment you can get away with this, running it in a saw is not going to work out well. And more importantly, why?

60:1 with a new tight saw breaking in, on older gas, with oil designed for 50:1 could all lead to failure.

Ok. A couple things:

1) I’m confused where you’re getting that the gas was old. I was asked how old it was. I don’t remember the specific date I pumped it, but I replied that it’s less than a month old, which it is. (Maybe you could help more if I shared my credit card statement? ) Somehow, folks have turned that response into 2 months old. You don’t have to believe me, I suppose. But you’ve got more reason to believe me than the folks just making stuff up because they feel cranky.

2) My point about 60:1 was that I can’t get 2.5 gallons of fuel into my can. But even if I could, 60:1 shouldn’t exactly cause an immediate disaster. Did I pour 2.07? Maybe, but it’s just as likely that I poured 1.93. If these mix ratios went from “all good” to disastrous within a 5% margin, very few people would be able to keep a chainsaw for more than an hour. Yet somehow, despite these odds, I’ve successfully owned a number of them.

I appreciate the help here, but it appears we’ve reached the stage where the story has taken on a life of its own outside of what actually took place.

Ok. A couple things:

1) I’m confused where you’re getting that the gas was old. I was asked how old it was. I don’t remember the specific date I pumped it, but I replied that it’s less than a month old, which it is. (Maybe you could help more if I shared my credit card statement? ) Somehow, folks have turned that response into 2 months old. You don’t have to believe me, I suppose. But you’ve got more reason to believe me than the folks just making stuff up because they feel cranky.

2) My point about 60:1 was that I can’t get 2.5 gallons of fuel into my can. But even if I could, 60:1 shouldn’t exactly cause an immediate disaster. Did I pour 2.07? Maybe, but it’s just as likely that I poured 1.93. If these mix ratios went from “all good” to disastrous within a 5% margin, very few people would be able to keep a chainsaw for more than an hour. Yet somehow, despite these odds, I’ve successfully owned a number of them.
And sometimes **** just happens. Hopefully this gets straightened out and you get a good saw. And from now on you will likely be a bit more cautious independent of whether or not fuel was the culprit. That's not a bad thing.

70:1 with good oil should be fine. I run everything on 70:1 opti2.

That's just foolish!!!!
While I would never try 70:1, my limited experience with oil tells me there
is a night and day difference between various oils, and with the right conditions
one might survive on 70:1 for a while, such as light work and a huge flow of fuel
to the cylinder, it won’t protect a powerful loaded engine, bad advise in general,
better with too much oil than too little, until you figure out what is the right mix
for your current conditions.

is a night and day difference between various oils, and with the right conditions
one might survive on 70:1 for a while, such as light work and a huge flow of fuel
to the cylinder, it won’t protect a powerful loaded engine, bad advise in general,
better with too much oil than too little, until you figure out what is the right mix
Ive got backpack blowers out burning a gallon a day for months now and they love it. I break in new builds on it. I took a fresh Husky 350 out and ran the balls off it for 3 tanks then came home and pulled the jug for inspection...plenty of oil present throughout.

Yall wanna run alot of oil...thats fine, there just isnt any real need for it with the right oil

In some equipment you can get away with this, running it in a saw is not going to work out well. And more importantly, why?
Mo powah baby.

But really, less buildup, no smoke, less smell. Less oil means more fuel...more fuel means more power.

My 2 cents (not that anybody ever asks for it) is a combination of things all to the minus side.
1. The first clue is that he had a rather large trunk which he was "saving for the big saw". Making cut after cut with out time for the saw to cool down is hard on any saw.
2. The saw was new. Most engines need a little break in time to get the rings, piston, bearings etc set. It will naturally run a little warm until then.
3. For me 50:1 is an absolute No No. I am sure with an ideal situation it is OK but this was not ideal.
4. It was probably a warm or hot day. The hotter the temperature the hotter the saw will run.
5. Throw in an AT that was just brand new and who knows.
6. Maybe marginal on the gas too.
7. Chain may have become a little dull by the end of that hour.
Still with all this said, Husqvarna should be willing to work with a guy that put out his good money to buy a good piece of equipment.
Couldn’t agree more, new saws are really tight and need to be worked in at 50% load,
any saw I ever had ran cooler after a few tanks with no other change, large tree and repetitive cutting
is a very bad idea, I hear people say run them like you stole them, it may work from time to time,
pits a bad idea, if your saw survives the ring will be softened, cylinder plating may be loosened
and at some point you will get bitten.

Agreed. And I always ask the question why go with the crazy lean mix? It make no sense.

Ive got backpack blowers out burning a gallon a day for months now and they love it. I break in new builds on it. I took a fresh Husky 350 out and ran the balls off it for 3 tanks then came home and pulled the jug for inspection...plenty of oil present throughout.

Yall wanna run alot of oil...thats fine, there just isnt any real need for it with the right oil

Oil will reduce friction and stop a ring being turned to mush or damage between the cylinder plating
and cylinder wall due to excessive heat from friction, further down the road you will have trouble If you
skimp on lubrication.

Mo powah baby.

But really, less buildup, no smoke, less smell. Less oil means more fuel...more fuel means more power.

More oil means more power even at 16:1, this has been gone over time and time again. And you don't get more buildup with more oil, the opposite.

Agreed. And I always ask the question why go with the crazy lean mix? It make no sense.
Am not judging, but what is wrong with anyone who cant see there is nothing to gain
and everything to loose from being miserable with oil. I sure hope such thinkers arent
employed in critical situations.

Matlock lol I like that one, I prefer Columbo a little more though
emoji6.png
. It comes from experience, and what you've already said. I'm I 100% this was fuel related? no, absolutely not. But it sounds at least like a contributing factor.

Hope you get this resolved one way or another.
I would agree, fuel related, Autotune or airleak,
Airleak should be fairly well compensated for with Autotune though,
so fuel failed Autotune or a bit of both, combined with overdoing it on a tight new engine.
All could be revealed with a bit of testing.

Thought we descended into an oil debate there, whoosh.
Just wondering what Opti 2T oil was spoken of there a while back,
I see boat oils come up when I searched.

Back