562xp dead after 1hr - what should I expect?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad the truth comes out long after the fact.

What are the early ms362 issues? I have a first-year model (2011?), still with very low hours. It's a beautiful saw for me so far. Smoooth, powerful, overcomplicated but very nicely made, and a bit bulky, but not bad. I ran it the other day and it just rips! Nice saw, but what should I be watching out for, besides the dry-ish clutch bearing?

I tune it a bit rich and run somewhere near 40:1, btw
I had a new 362 about 18 Months ago, it took too many pulls to start, sold it at a loss
as I wasn’t going to waste my time in and out of the Stihl dealers fighting a loosing battle.
Never had a saw so difficult to start. The earlier ones had soft cranks, destroyed bearings
and crank in short time. They fixed that because all of a sudden that stopped happening.

I had a new 362 about 18 Months ago, it took too many pulls to start, sold it at a loss
as I wasn’t going to waste my time in and out of the Stihl dealers fighting a loosing battle.
Never had a saw so difficult to start. The earlier ones had soft cranks, destroyed bearings
and crank in short time. They fixed that because all of a sudden that stopped happening.
A lot of the crank bearing issues were directly related to the filter, it would allow in copious amounts of dust when the filter loosened up. Very poor design.

It is, yet I wholeheartedly stand behind my statement. The first generation 550 and the 562 were garbage in my book. That's my opinion based on some experience, for what ever that is worth. Again when running they're sweet saws, however beside the QC problems, just looking these saws over it's clear not only was the design poor, but the Penny Pinchers got their hands involved. Just ran my 562 today it was nice weather didn't miss a beat, this is after heat shielding, carb reprogram, MM, decomposition plug and a new short block because of factory installed crank seal leak. The few 550's I've had to go through were even worse, each one had a QC issue, transfer covers all leaked, and intake boots were installed improperly, and they all would stumble off idle. The 550 went through what five different carved in three or four years. Yes they were that bad, sorry but it's the truth I my eyes. I have not had a 550 mk-II yet but so far you here nothing but good, and my 572 has been flawless.

Look all manufacturers have their problems especially with new models, how you handle it that matters, husqvarna's did not handle it correctly.

Again, you paint with a broad brush. Husky made thousands of these things. Do you have some sort of advanced degree in mechanical engineering or marketing to back up your statements? Got something? Well put in on the glass.

Again, you paint with a broad brush. Husky made thousands of these things. Do you have some sort of advanced degree in mechanical engineering or marketing to back up your statements? Got something? Well put in on the glass.
I feel like Andre supported his opinion pretty well. All we have is our own experience right? I've done one 562, an early one with the 43 carb. It came out great. Ive gotten into 550s lately and I see the issues firsthand. The plastic caged bearings are crap. Just a bad idea for the masses and a mix of mixes IMO. The off idle issue is real. If everyone went from a 346 to a 550 you'd hear a lot more of it. I haven't seen a leaky transfer cover or rolled intake boot myself but having worked on them I see the potential. I have experienced the hot start issue in whatever extreme heat southern lower MI can produce. That said, they're great running saws when things are right. Other than the one hot day I let the tank run dry on the 562 on it's side it was a champ.

I feel like you're being a little obtuse on purpose here to not at least recognize the problems Husky had. Not a lot, but more than there should be. If you've only ran personal saws and had good luck then yah, it goes back to my first statement.

Ive only seen one 562. Guy pulled it until the recoil broke. Not the rope...the actual recoil. I fixed it...started on 8 pulls. Ran okay, i made 10 cuts, shut it off, came back 10 minutes later and nothing doing, wouldn't eben kick. I told him to take it to the dealer, it was under warranty.

For 800 bucks i would be upset...

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I feel like Andre supported his opinion pretty well. All we have is our own experience right? I've done one 562, an early one with the 43 carb. It came out great. Ive gotten into 550s lately and I see the issues firsthand. The plastic caged bearings are crap. Just a bad idea for the masses and a mix of mixes IMO. The off idle issue is real. If everyone went from a 346 to a 550 you'd hear a lot more of it. I haven't seen a leaky transfer cover or rolled intake boot myself but having worked on them I see the potential. I have experienced the hot start issue in whatever extreme heat southern lower MI can produce. That said, they're great running saws when things are right. Other than the one hot day I let the tank run dry on the 562 on it's side it was a champ.

I feel like you're being a little obtuse on purpose here to not at least recognize the problems Husky had. Not a lot, but more than there should be. If you've only ran personal saws and had good luck then yah, it goes back to my first statement.
They're more threads on these saws then we can count, I even have one I started "with pics" although I think they were corrupted from the forum meltdown. How many builders stoped messing around with them, because at one point nearly every single one had something wrong? Yes that was largely resolved, but that's the way it was for awhile. How many even pro husqvarna guys, including well know dealers publicly acknowledge the problems? Standing up for, or being silent about a superb product doesn't help anything in my book.

Ive only seen one 562. Guy pulled it until the recoil broke. Not the rope...the actual recoil. I fixed it...started on 8 pulls. Ran okay, i made 10 cuts, shut it off, came back 10 minutes later and nothing doing, wouldn't eben kick. I told him to take it to the dealer, it was under warranty.

For 800 bucks i would be upset...

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
The early starter housings were weak, and would break off from the post, that area was strengthening around the same time an extra case bolt was added.

They're more threads on these saws then we can count, I even have one I started "with pics" although I think they were corrupted from the forum meltdown. How many builders stoped messing around with them, because at one point nearly every single one had something wrong? Yes that was largely resolved, but that's the way it was for awhile. How many even pro husqvarna guys, including well know dealers publicly acknowledge the problems? Standing up for, or being silent about a superb product doesn't help anything in my book.
I haven't had my fill yet but I'll definitely do things different on the ones I have left to build. So far the squeeze is worth the juice.

Right. Sorry you have a problem with my take on it snowflake.

• Snowflake? Seriously. Hey, I did not call you any names. What the hell? Pushed, they resort to name calling. What a real asset this dude is for arboristsite. Got nothing but hot air to show and nothing to blow. Once again, you got some kind of an advanced degree that allows you to say the things you do, put it on the glass.

• Snowflake? Seriously. Hey, I did not call you any names. What the hell? Pushed, they resort to name calling. What a real asset this dude is for arboristsite. Got nothing but hot air to show and nothing to blow. Once again, you got some kind of an advanced degree that allows you to say the things you do, put it on the glass.
Put it on the glass:laughing:

I’ve rebuilt a number of 550’s and 562’s to back up what he says.
Saws that the dealers turned their nose up to and would not honor their warranties.
Great running saws. Terrible quality control. Terrible R&A. Terrible dealer and corporate support after the sale.
We ain’t making this stuff up.....
The OP’s saw burned up in one hour, and the dealer said “no mas” because corporate would not help one iota.

A lot of the crank bearing issues were directly related to the filter, it would allow in copious amounts of dust when the filter loosened up. Very poor design.

there is simply not quite (by about a millithousandth of an inch) enough room to tuck the tabs at the bottom of the dual felt filter frame into the carrier unless you finigle it perfectly in there. I've been diligant and lucky too I suppose to have never let dirt into my 362. I've also always put a light smear of grease on the mating surface. It is perfect, but a pita to get it just right. You HAVE to put the switch in the start position to get that linkage out of the way first.

Only issue I know of is the air filter wasn't the best, some complained about power, the one I had was every bit as strong as my 562.

i have an Echo 590, a 1990 husky 262xp (big carb,ks cylinder and in very nice condition) as well as the ms362. The Stihl feels the most powerful by a little over the husky - they are close, is the smoothest in the hands by far, and handles second to the husky With the Echo coming in third in most all aspects, but still a damn fine saw.

i've run both a 562 and 550 xp. Brilliant handling in a compact package, lots of power at the scream, but easily bogged in a pinch or if your trigger timing isn't perfect. Not my kind of saws.

i dont know why i have 3-60cc saws...anyway

Too bad the truth comes out long after the fact.

What are the early ms362 issues? I have a first-year model (2011?), still with very low hours. It's a beautiful saw for me so far. Smoooth, powerful, overcomplicated but very nicely made, and a bit bulky, but not bad. I ran it the other day and it just rips! Nice saw, but what should I be watching out for, besides the dry-ish clutch bearing?

I tune it a bit rich and run somewhere near 40:1, btw

Again, if you got a good one it is still going, if not, you would know.

Anyhoo, the first 391s had what seemed to be assembly issues and component quality control problems. These issues would happen very quickly, not caused by fuel, dust, etc.. These were not one off issues,
Fasteners would snap the heads off while during use, starter might fall off, etc.. Broken threaded part stuck in case, etc..
Stub end of crank might snap off during use, clutch or flywheel bounce around busting up parts.
I saw the carnage of three flywheels that came apart, severe damage. At least one minor injury, happened during out of the box check and tach test. Crank would be intact, not to be reused. These went back to VB, supposedly.
Flywheel nut might come off, spin the flywheel. Clutch might loosen, lock up. Both would damage parts.
Busted pistons. Busted cranks. Missing parts. The list goes on.... They were crap.

The 362, very similar list, not as many units affected.

The first 661s were a bag of dicks, pick something that could go wrong and it did. I suppose the handles were well made, and fitted.

The 661s issues were handled the worst, they sat and sat at dealerships waiting for resolution, always blamed on a lack of parts or worse sent back out without any improvement. The others were for the most part quickly taken care of.

Back