562xp dead after 1hr - what should I expect?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  • Snowflake? Seriously. Hey, I did not call you any names. What the hell? Pushed, they resort to name calling. What a real asset this dude is for arboristsite. Got nothing but hot air to show and nothing to blow. Once again, you got some kind of an advanced degree that allows you to say the things you do, put it on the glass.

LOL don't look now somebody calling someone out on the internet.[emoji42] I have nothing to prove, I've done so over the past 16 years. You're basically calling me a liar, so take care.[emoji8]

i have an Echo 590, a 1990 husky 262xp (big carb,ks cylinder and in very nice condition) as well as the ms362. The Stihl feels the most powerful by a little over the husky - they are close, is the smoothest in the hands by far, and handles second to the husky With the Echo coming in third in most all aspects, but still a damn fine saw.

i've run both a 562 and 550 xp. Brilliant handling in a compact package, lots of power at the scream, but easily bogged in a pinch or if your trigger timing isn't perfect. Not my kind of saws.

i dont know why i have 3-60cc saws...anyway
With a mm the 562 and 550 seem to wake up a bit, little more grunt... But I hear you.[emoji111]

Again, if you got a good one it is still going, if not, you would know.

Anyhoo, the first 391s had what seemed to be assembly issues and component quality control problems. These issues would happen very quickly, not caused by fuel, dust, etc.. These were not one off issues,
Fasteners would snap the heads off while during use, starter might fall off, etc.. Broken threaded part stuck in case, etc..
Stub end of crank might snap off during use, clutch or flywheel bounce around busting up parts.
I saw the carnage of three flywheels that came apart, severe damage. At least one minor injury, happened during out of the box check and tach test. Crank would be intact, not to be reused. These went back to VB, supposedly.
Flywheel nut might come off, spin the flywheel. Clutch might loosen, lock up. Both would damage parts.
Busted pistons. Busted cranks. Missing parts. The list goes on.... They were crap.

The 362, very similar list, not as many units affected.

The first 661s were a bag of dicks, pick something that could go wrong and it did. I suppose the handles were well made, and fitted.

The 661s issues were handled the worst, they sat and sat at dealerships waiting for resolution, always blamed on a lack of parts. The others were for the most part quickly taken care of.
Well said and thank you for the information.

The 661 issues are well documented, it looks like they're solid saws now.

there is simply not quite (by about a millithousandth of an inch) enough room to tuck the tabs at the bottom of the dual felt filter frame into the carrier unless you finigle it perfectly in there. I've been diligant and lucky too I suppose to have never let dirt into my 362. I've also always put a light smear of grease on the mating surface. It is perfect, but a pita to get it just right. You HAVE to put the switch in the start position to get that linkage out of the way first.
It was a good concept having the two piece filter, just poorly executed. The tabs on the bottom of the filter would get loose, I believe they later covered then to help the filter fit tighter, and of course they later redesign the whole setup.

Nothing was as bad as the 1st Gen Briggs Intek Twin. Had the panel air filter that had a snap on cover. The cover and base would warp, the filter could be installed both upside down and off to one side with no issues installing the cover this allowed it to eat dirt as if no filter were on.

After thousands of engines failed briggs issued a revamped design that used the same filter but the kid had 2 screws. Less warp problems but...filter could still go on wrong and the 2 screws would vibrate loose.

Their third attempt...around the 4th year, was a 4 screw cover with a hooked front lip. Still didnt fix the inherent flaw that allowed the filter to be installed wrong...some filters still ate dirt but 1st year failures were down. Many died in the 2nd year.

After about the 8th year briggs finally...after having denied and still denying there was any problems...redesigned it with an oval snap in cartridge with a circular pressure seal...problem solved.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Sure glad I own early versions of the 661 and 562. Both highly recommended here at the time. The 661 has had a hot start issue with less then a couple hours use. The 562xpg is still new in the box - almost afraid of it now after reading this thread:(

My Stihl dealer offered to replace the fuel solenoid only to an updated version for $100. I said no thanks and ordered the whole upgrade kit (solenoid, coil, fuel pick up) for about the same. Yes it's out of warranty but this is a known issue and they completely played dumb to that fact.

No more buying saws just because I want one - If I don't have immediate use it can sit on the dealer shelf.

Sure glad I own early versions of the 661 and 562. Both highly recommended here at the time. The 661 has had a hot start issue with less then a couple hours use. The 562xpg is still new in the box - almost afraid of it now after reading this thread:(

My Stihl dealer offered to replace the fuel solenoid only to an updated version for $100. I said no thanks and ordered the whole upgrade kit (solenoid, coil, fuel pick up) for about the same. Yes it's out of warranty but this is a known issue and they completely played dumb to that fact.

No more buying saws just because I want one - If I don't have immediate use it can sit on the dealer shelf.
I wouldn't lose a moment's sleep over it myself. There's probably a thousand trouble free abused/neglected saws gettin it done 5 days a week for every one that failed.

I joined this site when I was looking for a new saw in 2011. The salesmen on here were gushing over the new ms362. I wanted a husky 357xp, whose issues had been dealt with by that time (I think?, as it had a terrible reputation prior). Alas, the 357 was almost 300.00 more than the 362 at the time (huskies cost much more than stihls in western canada at that time). Stihl was having a pretty good sale on the 362 because it wasn't selling as they had hoped.

I really like my ms362, but have pondered the early issues from time to time...will mine hold up? That model became one of the favourites among workers in my industry, and the reports of failure were few and far between while the emerging 562 was a catastrophe to the point where the entire industry switched from husky to stihl over a few years.

I should have bought a husky 359...errrr, I should be keeping my eyes peeled for a 359, cause I DO quite like my early 362.

my point is, don't believe the salesmen, they have an agenda. They gush over every new model a year ahead of release, then they become mute when the new model has issues.

I'll never fall for that one again. Even though I am fine (so far) with my "old" 362.

There are a lot of good 550 and 562 saws out there though. Both of mine were flawless. I think the rub is a lot of dealers didn’t know (or try to learn) how to address the issues when a problem saw came in, and obviously Husky shrugged their shoulders at work that should have been covered by warranty.

Do you guys remember the euphoria about these saws back around 2014 on here? Lots of folks on here were putting them through their paces without any issues.

My brother got a 562 this winter for a clearing job and it immediately started developing issues. He took it back to the dealer, who replaced the coil and re-flashed it to no avail. Long story short there was a sticky carb valve which was fixed and now the saw works just fine. My brother built two piles that are the size of the one pictured using it and he was pretty impressed. The saw has a 28 inch bar with full comp chisel chain and cutting seasoned oak it'll throw chips 30+ feet. I've got it now and once it gets a 3/4 wrap it'll be perfect.
IMG_4998.jpgIMG_5014.jpg

Do you guys remember the euphoria about these saws back around 2014 on here? Lots of folks on here were putting them through their paces without any issues.

To be honest I remember a lot of hype, than a recall, than hesitation/carb problems, having to open up the butterfly for more air flow, later down the line came the heat issues. At the gtg's I went to at the time they were not getting much love. Remember right when the 550 came out Brad picked one up, it was DOA, turned out to be a bad carb.

My brother got a 562 this winter for a clearing job and it immediately started developing issues. He took it back to the dealer, who replaced the coil and re-flashed it to no avail. Long story short there was a sticky carb valve which was fixed and now the saw works just fine. My brother built two piles that are the size of the one pictured using it and he was pretty impressed. The saw has a 28 inch bar with full comp chisel chain and cutting seasoned oak it'll throw chips 30+ feet. I've got it now and once it gets a 3/4 wrap it'll be perfect.
View attachment 850126View attachment 850127
Pretty much par for the game, I keep hearing the 562 is fixed, but...

Back