562XP Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a saw that will handle a 24in bar in hardwood, with authority, & using 3/8 chain. Seems to me that a 70cc saw is best suited for the task, but, judging by many of the vids & the praises heaped on the 562, it may be just the ticket. Is this asking too much for a stock saw? Would it be wiser to have it ported, or just accept that I will need a 70cc saw & the additional weight that comes with it? In years past I handled a 920 Jonsereds with a 24in bar, but am no longer comfortable with that much weight (power head dry was 17.5lbs.).

A 562 and stock with a 24" bar isn't going to pull it with authority for me. I would go with a 70cc saw personally. :msp_thumbup:

Videos: 28" bar in hardwood

This saw in stock form feels like a hot rod with a 20" and smaller bar.

Mine wears a 24" bar almost all the time. Occasionally I swap to a 28" and love it when I get to use the 20".

Only 70% of the wood I cut is loblolly pine, the rest is sweet gum, pecan, red & white oak as well as some mesquite and hickory.

Here are a few videos with a 28" bar when the saw was basically still brand new. It does better than you'd think for 59-60 cc's. It's broke in now and pulls better.

You decide

Stock Husqvarna 562xp on a Pecan 2/3 - YouTube

Stock Husqvarna 562xp on a Pecan 3/3 - YouTube

Thanks a bunch guys! That is what I was theorizing, but I wanted the opinions of users. I have only run one 70cc saw, a Jonsereds 70E way back when & don't remember much about it except that I liked the oomph of the 920 better.

Jake, that is impressive! Is that full comp 3/8 or is it full skip? Pecan is a type of Hickory & is tough stuff if it is anything like the Shagbark, Pignut, & Bitternut Hickory we have around here. How does it compare with Mesquite?

Jake, that is impressive! Is that full comp 3/8 or is it full skip? Pecan is a type of Hickory & is tough stuff if it is anything like the Shagbark, Pignut, & Bitternut Hickory we have around here. How does it compare with Mesquite?

It's full skip 72JGX093 (.050 3/8) and yes, pecan is basically hickory. Not Aussie hardwood, but it's pretty tough for these parts.. Also, I have not run 28" in mesquite so I can't compare.

A 562xp will pull a 24" bar just fine, but will pull a 20" With Authority!

Pulling a 24" with authority I'd think you want a 70cc or larger.

That said, I'd much rather run a 562xp than any other 60cc or larger saw ever made! :msp_smile:

I'll agree with Sunfish with everything he said. To the O/P do you honestly need a 24" bar? if you do you would be better served with a 70+ cc saw. I actually prefer 80cc with a 24"+ bar but that is just me. The 562 will pull a 24 and if you need it a few times a day it will do fine. If you need a 24 once in a while put a 20" on it and keep the 24" in the truck. The saw loves a 20". CJ

I'll agree with Sunfish with everything he said. To the O/P do you honestly need a 24" bar? if you do you would be better served with a 70+ cc saw. I actually prefer 80cc with a 24"+ bar but that is just me. The 562 will pull a 24 and if you need it a few times a day it will do fine. If you need a 24 once in a while put a 20" on it and keep the 24" in the truck. The saw loves a 20". CJ

The 24in. bar would not be used regularly, but, when I need it, I would like it to be able to complete a felling cut quickly if necessary. In the cases I'm thinking about, speed would definitely be my friend. I would not be asking the saw to lug all day long with the bar buried. If I were bucking only, I wouldn't mind using something heavier including 441, 461, 372/2172, 390/2188. Since the powerhead wt. of a 372/2172 is around 1.5-2lbs more than the 562, that would be my choice if it is noticeably faster. If there is not much difference, I would be more comfortable with the lighter 562. If porting a 562 would bring it into the speed range, or even exceed the speed of a 70cc saw, that would be another option.
Great replies everyone! Many thanks for your thoughts & comments!

The 24in. bar would not be used regularly, but, when I need it, I would like it to be able to complete a felling cut quickly if necessary. In the cases I'm thinking about, speed would definitely be my friend. I would not be asking the saw to lug all day long with the bar buried. If I were bucking only, I wouldn't mind using something heavier including 441, 461, 372/2172, 390/2188. Since the powerhead wt. of a 372/2172 is around 1.5-2lbs more than the 562, that would be my choice if it is noticeably faster. If there is not much difference, I would be more comfortable with the lighter 562. If porting a 562 would bring it into the speed range, or even exceed the speed of a 70cc saw, that would be another option.

A ported 562 will smoke a stock 372. That would be a very good plan, if you want a light weight very good handling saw that would whoop most larger saws! "D

You can run a 24 just fine on the 562xp and I think that saw runs pretty close to a 372xp. Throw in the AT, weight, fuel, handling, cost of the saw, etc and it's an easy answer for me.

Personally, I would run a 20 full comp on a daily basis and have a 24 skip for when you really need it. I would rather run a 562 over the 372 99% of the time with the wood that I cut, nice sized locust and oak. I know people love the 372 and it is a great saw, but I can't help but think that most people that have ran both for 8 hours straight wouldn't agree that a 562 is the way to go.

From running these saws, I would say the 562 would impress you stock. If not get it ported. Mine just got a new carb and it seems to have fixed the issues I was having and it is a hard pulling saw now. The 372/390 sit most of the time unless I am in big stuff but the 346 and the 562 always go with me also. CJ

If you're in a cookie cuttin' contest or cutting commercially you want 70cc but in the real world my 562 would pull a 24" just fine all day long.

...I know people love the 372 and it is a great saw, but I can't help but think that most people that have ran both for 8 hours straight wouldn't agree that a 562 is the way to go.

Agree. For a 1-saw plan, the 562xp will do a lot of jobs well. When pro loggers carry around one saw, though, that's a whole different set of circumstances.

Hmmm. Time for me to go testing. Again thanks for the "extra brains"! I'll be away for the next 4 days, & will get my butt to a couple of places where I may be able to test run next week. If things go well, I may be trying (haven't succeeded yet) to post a pic or two.

A 562 and stock with a 24" bar isn't going to pull it with authority for me. I would go with a 70cc saw personally. :msp_thumbup:

A ported 562 will smoke a stock 372. That would be a very good plan, if you want a light weight very good handling saw that would whoop most larger saws! "D

These two are the correct answer for the question asked.

Latest posts

Back