6 lb. Splitting Maul vs. Monster Maul?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max2cam

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I used to be a big fan of the Monster Maul. Used one for many years. But a while back I picked up a 6 lb. splitting maul with fiberglass handle for light jobs from Harbor Freight. Lo and behold, I find myself using the 6 lb. maul more and more. Seems to work just about as good and a LOT less effort lifting it than the Monster Maul.

If somebody had told me the results using a 6 lb. splitting maul would come close to using a Monster Maul I wouldn't have believed it. But it's true!

I bought myself one of those 4lb."Super Splitter" mauls with the flared face about a year ago and since split about 8 cords with it.I find it works better than the old 8 and 6 lb mauls I've used in the past.....maybe it's cause I can generate more swinging speed due to it's light weight....whatever the case,it works well for me.

The two best mauls made in my opinion are....

Fiskars 28" Super Splitting Axe with the 4 1/4# head. This maul will easily outsplit any 6# or 8# maul I have seen.

Fiskars 28" Pro Splitting Axe with the 2 1/4# head used 90% of the time. This little number will split anything up to say 20" better than the heavy maul because of the drastic increase in head speed. After 20" or so the weight becomes to your advantage.

With these two lifetime warranty mauls in your arsenal you will be able to split anything than can be split with a maul and never buy another maul, handle, or change a handle again. Prices are $40 and $50.

Last edited:
I've got an 8lb on a fiberglass handle and a monster all steel that never gets used cause it's too dang heavy. On occasion, if I've got a knotty piece I'll haul it out too burn off some aggression :clap: but as someone mentioned it's all about head speed. I'd love to try a 6lb or one of those fancy Fiskars but the last 2 years, my little 5hp 20 ton splitter has made life easy :cheers: I've yet too come across anything it won't split including some rock maple rounds the size of my truck tires. It flips up too verticle too quarter those baby's so that I can lift em on later.:clap:

I greatly prefer my hickory handle 8lb maul over my monster maul or Fiskars splitting axe.

I must be the only one that prefers the monster maul...Hmmm, I can take three swings with a 6-8 lber or one with the monster maul (mine is 16lbs)..

For me, it is less effort to use the bigger dude and I get a better workout. If I am splitting really small rounds, then I use a smaller 4-6 lber

I use a 8# maul with a fiberglass handle 99% of the time. When that doesn't work I'll try the monster maul and/or wedges. I also have a 6# maul but it isn't as effective as the 8# for me. I find rather than wailing on a round that doesn't want to split it is faster to rip it in half with the chainsaw. The halves usually split pretty easy.

The Fiskars splitting axes didn't work for me :confused:
Dok

I have a 15 lb monster maul that a friend gave me because he said it was bigger than he is!! It is heavy but it's all I have used for two years. Once you get used to the weight it works great. You sure don't have to swing as hard becuase there is so much weight there. If this one ever gives up I'd sure be looking for another one!!

I have a 15 lb monster maul that a friend gave me because he said it was bigger than he is!! It is heavy but it's all I have used for two years. Once you get used to the weight it works great. You sure don't have to swing as hard becuase there is so much weight there. If this one ever gives up I'd sure be looking for another one!!

Me too. I looked for about a year for the current one I have now. I cost me three bucks at an auction. lol.

People think you have to swing it harder, when in reality, you don't. I know I always thought that way when I watched uncle and grandpa swing them. I am only a buck 50 soaking wet. I still like it better than my 6 and 8 lbers

Of coarse I am still young now. I'm sure I'll switch to a lighter one 20 years from now, if I don't have a splitter by then. lol

Last edited:
one needs both ... now that I've got a hydraulic splitter. use all steel monster splitter all the time busting apart those 3ft+ rounds. after splitter's got round busted with a few strands holding.

I used to be a big fan of the Monster Maul. Used one for many years. But a while back I picked up a 6 lb. splitting maul with fiberglass handle for light jobs from Harbor Freight. Lo and behold, I find myself using the 6 lb. maul more and more. Seems to work just about as good and a LOT less effort lifting it than the Monster Maul.

If somebody had told me the results using a 6 lb. splitting maul would come close to using a Monster Maul I wouldn't have believed it. But it's true!

I liked my 8# with a hickory handle until the handle broke. I could swing the 8# just as fast as a 6# and have the extra power of the heavier head. I have a 12# monster maul that I actually bent the steel handle on! I don't like it that much because the edge is way too blunt, I have ground it to more of a point but it is still really blunt, it wants to crush the wood fibers instead of splitting them.

think I have to go with the monster maul. mines an older one with a longer handle than newer ones I've seen . seem's to swing better and hit harder. does help to keep the edge kinda sharp

Monster

The mega mauls are the only ones I don't destroy in a day or 2. Fiberglass, wood, doesn't matter, I destroy em all. Sledge & wedge was all I used for alot of years. At least I could get some decent life out of the sledges, don't have all the prying, levering action like you do with a stuck maul. Mega seems to either split or bounce out.

I split it with my 5lb. Arvika axe. if that dont work I rip it with a big saw, or preferably I leave it in the bush. My favorite is to fall trees across an old road, start bucking at the stump and stop when the bigger branches start.

I seem to have the best luck with the 6lb maul but I have two different ones different shapes of the head make a difference depending on the wood.

I have NO luck at all with our Monster Mall. I never use it, because its more wasted effort lifting it, than its worth. I can split more with my 8lbs mall, but I am young and willing to beat on some of them rather hard! :)
Or I could just wheel out the Swisher 28Ton splitter and giggle as the crumble! :)

8-lb Splitting Maul

I greatly prefer my hickory handle 8lb maul over my monster maul or Fiskars splitting axe.
+1, QFT!

Mine's 30 years old and only on it's second handle. I reinforce the handle near the head with nylon mason line, about 50 wraps of lashing. Sharpen it about once a year with a bastard file. It's too easy to blue the edge with a power grinder. Whatever it can't split, I then use three 8-lb wedges and a 10-lb sledge hammer.

I must be the only one that prefers the monster maul...Hmmm, I can take three swings with a 6-8 lber or one with the monster maul (mine is 16lbs)..

For me, it is less effort to use the bigger dude and I get a better workout. If I am splitting really small rounds, then I use a smaller 4-6 lber

I used to swing one of those big SOB's. I love the way it split, but between my dad and I, we busted the welds on 5 or 6 handles:d Maybe we were the reason for Sotz Corp. demise:p

I used to have a 9# head axe eye maul, I loved that thing, but I can't find it:cry:

I would like to find a maul head 9-12# with a wood handle. I hate the feel of fiberglass handles. I have however been looking at those Gransfors mauls and the Helko Vario-200 splitting axes. I seen some threads about them from a year or so ago... Anyone care to give an update on the use of them?:biggrinbounce2:

Back