6 lb. Splitting Maul vs. Monster Maul?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubted the 4 pounder until I tried it. It seriously kicks ass, I was flat out impressed with it's performance.

Superior, eh? My brother lives near Ashland, I just got him into wood burning.

I'm pretty happy with the Helko Vario 2000 heavy splitting axe (5# head) I bought last week. I can split a lot faster with it than anything else I've used yet ... including my friend's 24 ton hydraulic splitter.

Haven't tried a Fiskars. Heard good things about them here and elsewhere.

God bless,
Chris

changed man

posted earlier in this thread my allegiance to the monster maul well I was at menards the other day with a bunch of rebate coupons so I picked up a Fiskars 4 1/2 lb splitter. this thing is so much faster than the MM and I can split for a lot longer than before. only time will tell how long it takes me to wreck the handle

The Fiskars has a lifetime handle warranty, you should be able to take it back for a new one if you manage to break it. Fiskars has a cool looking chopping axe and hatchet too.

I second your opionion. I use the old, 16# head, 21# total weight Sotz monster mauls. You have to swing them just like the smaller mauls for any results. Most people don't like the monsters because they think they can drop it onto the wood from 12 inches up....LoL!

I 've found the best way to use the big monster is to lift it up in front of you a bit more then head high and swing it hard enough for good accuracy. In tougher rounds that split harder bend your knees as the maul strikes the wood for extra speed and shocking power. The Sotz Co. published similar instructions to like that when they were selling them in the 1980's . If you can swing it in a circle motion for any length of time I would have to say you are a very strong healthy individual.
I would say reading the wood and accuracy is the key ingrediant to making it easiar to work efficiently. However I know I can split bigger badder wood with the monster maul then any of the 6, 8, 10 lb conventional style mauls I tried and split many cords with in the past. I am aiming to try the bigger fiskars when I see one I can buy. Easy splitting wood doesn't need a big maul and the fiberglas handle is easier on bones and joints. I now usually carry a monster maul and ax out to the woods and I expect it should fit inbetween the 2 and hope it makes it easiar on me. I split a lot of frozen sassafras the last 2 times out with a very small maul I reused a shortened fiberglass handle on that I broke near the top in the past. The head is probably 3 to 4 lbs and I fit in the handle using JB weld to hold it on. Works great for felling wedges to.
Another note for the monster maul, I duct tape carpet padding or intertube all the way down the handle to take away much of the shock transfer to the body.
]

Latest posts

Back