661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red..... for whatever its worth. First off, I did some temperature testing a couple of years ago, my end results were very similar to the results you have posted up within this thread. (my results are buried somewhere within another forum).

At the time, was interested in the max temp in a box muffler, with a saw under heavy load. Also, found how long it took from a cold start to reach that temp, but was unable to record times on the rate of cool down, which was due to just how rapidly the motor cools down when chain is pulled out of the cut, (as rpms decrease down to idle speed).

My take on your latest testing methods differs with some of the folks who have commented so far.
From what I see, you have good consistency in your results. A 7% total spread of results, by any testing methodology, imo, is about as good as can be expected. For that matter, have seen a 10% spread on 3 consecutive runs, minutes apart on the same dyno, with zero changes made to the motor. About 3% is quite more common norm. (4ST on dynojet). 2ST results from a brake style are about useless, imo. Aircooled 2ST lose power, the longer they are run. In about 20 minutes 20% down. Would tend to think, as the case gets heat soaked, order in which the different oils were tested would have an influence on results?

(If, you have done so, and I have missed it buried in the thread somewhere, sorry and please disregard the following).

If you are still reading this, common to testing is to establish a baseline to find the amount of % error in the testing method used. (Maybe this will calm the naysayers). Keeping this in mind, a baseline oil is chosen. Any oil. The **** gets tested out of it. Say it went through 10 tests using your methods. Then the amount of spread % and then average spread % is figured out. Since its the same oil, the % spread/average spread, is only showing the swing of your testing method. The results you have shared so far would have more impact. Baseline does not need to be established before actually takes place, and can be done at any time.....but is common to do beforehand.

I do not care what oil anyone uses, just like testing and numbers. Talking about BTU's, curves and whatever else is interesting, but has little influence on the tests since the same fuel was used. Would rather take interest in a curvy woman.

(Put me on ignore, dgaf).

How clean does HP2 burn compared to others?

It's a bit too early to tell I've only burned a few gallons, but so far it seems a bit cleaner than K2. It does have a stronger smell and smokes a bit at startup, but after that it has little smell or smoke. It doesn't seem to leave quite as much oil in the case or on the top as R50 or Motul 800 but it's still better than R2, which left everything a bit dry looking. All of this is subjective however, and I've seen no signs of premature ware with any of the oil talked about in this thread. My personal top choices are K2, HP2 and R50. Motul 800 oils like crazy, but leaves a mess in the exhaust and smells bad, that's the only reason I don't care for it.

Red..... for whatever its worth. First off, I did some temperature testing a couple of years ago, my end results were very similar to the results you have posted up within this thread. (my results are buried somewhere within another forum).

At the time, was interested in the max temp in a box muffler, with a saw under heavy load. Also, found how long it took from a cold start to reach that temp, but was unable to record times on the rate of cool down, which was due to just how rapidly the motor cools down when chain is pulled out of the cut, (as rpms decrease down to idle speed).

My take on your latest testing methods differs with some of the folks who have commented so far.
From what I see, you have good consistency in your results. A 7% total spread of results, by any testing methodology, imo, is about as good as can be expected. For that matter, have seen a 10% spread on 3 consecutive runs, minutes apart on the same dyno, with zero changes made to the motor. About 3% is quite more common norm. (4ST on dynojet). 2ST results from a brake style are about useless, imo. Aircooled 2ST lose power, the longer they are run. In about 20 minutes 20% down. Would tend to think, as the case gets heat soaked, order in which the different oils were tested would have an influence on results?

(If, you have done so, and I have missed it buried in the thread somewhere, sorry and please disregard the following).

If you are still reading this, common to testing is to establish a baseline to find the amount of % error in the testing method used. (Maybe this will calm the naysayers). Keeping this in mind, a baseline oil is chosen. Any oil. The **** gets tested out of it. Say it went through 10 tests using your methods. Then the amount of spread % and then average spread % is figured out. Since its the same oil, the % spread/average spread, is only showing the swing of your testing method. The results you have shared so far would have more impact. Baseline does not need to be established before actually takes place, and can be done at any time.....but is common to do beforehand.

I do not care what oil anyone uses, just like testing and numbers. Talking about BTU's, curves and whatever else is interesting, but has little influence on the tests since the same fuel was used. Would rather take interest in a curvy woman.

(Put me on ignore, dgaf).
Someone gets it!

It's a bit too early to tell I've only burned a few gallons, but so far it seems a bit cleaner than K2. It does have a stronger smell and smokes a bit at startup, but after that it has little smell or smoke. It doesn't seem to leave quite as much oil in the case or on the top as R50 or Motul 800 but it still better than R2 which left everything a bit dry looking. All of this is subjective however, and I've seen no signs of premature ware with and of the oil talked about in this thread. My personal top choices are K2, HP2 and R50. Motul 800 oils like crazy, but leaves a mess in the exhaust and smells bad, that's the only reason I don't care for it.
I have a friend that has ran it(HP2) for years in his bikes with seemingly good results Riding behind him it does stink, and his exhaust is always wet. He also has never tuned the thing and just runs it. He has fouled a few plugs.
Residual oil in the crankcase is indicative of ratio and what the engine was operated like when shut down...for the millionth time. I recently pulled my 260 down to delete the base gasket and it was pretty dry. I am using Motul 800 in it exclusively since new... in don't read anything into that fact at all, other than it was ran out of gas prior to shutting it down.

It's a bit too early to tell I've only burned a few gallons, but so far it seems a bit cleaner than K2. It does have a stronger smell and smokes a bit at startup, but after that it has little smell or smoke. It doesn't seem to leave quite as much oil in the case or on the top as R50 or Motul 800 but it still better than R2 which left everything a bit dry looking. All of this is subjective however, and I've seen no signs of premature ware with and of the oil talked about in this thread. My personal top choices are K2, HP2 and R50. Motul 800 oils like crazy, but leaves a mess in the exhaust and smells bad, that's the only reason I don't care for it.

What ratio are you running these at ?
Just curious because I'm using Saber but I'll be running some 800 just to try .

Using different oils is like having a different girl :D

I have a friend that has ran it(HP2) for years in his bikes with seemingly good results Riding behind him it does stink, and his exhaust is always wet. He also has never tuned the thing and just runs it. He has fouled a few plugs.
Residual oil in the crankcase is indicative of ratio and what the engine was operated like when shut down...for the millionth time. I recently pulled my 260 down to delete the base gasket and it was pretty dry. I am using Motul 800 in it exclusively since new... in don't read anything into that fact at all, other than it was ran out of gas prior to shutting it down.

Some oils do seem to leave more oil, but it is subjective for sure.

Latest posts

Back