661R Fever ...it's here!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opening the 661 makes a difference. The 661 just has a deflector inside, no baffle.

You're comparing modded 660 to stock 661. How many guys here don't MM their saw? If your 660 was stock, I might agree.
Brad, with the 660 having slightly more displacement and his muffler being modified, I still believe a stock 661 will beat it.

IIRC, the rat trap baffle is still installed on his 660, and even if the baffle was removed, the 661 will still beat it

Attachments

• 1b.066 & 661r.jpg
    1b.066 & 661r.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 32
I have observed a 1-1.5 second LOSS in time by removing the baffle on my 461 and 660. Removing the baffle on a stock 461 or 660 seems to be a BAD idea.

This may not be the case with a ported saw. But stock saw...that is what my testing has showed...bad idea removing baffle. HOWEVER I haven't tested just putting a small hole in the solid plate of the 660.

661 stock vs 660 muff modded should be interesting.

Brad, with the 660 having slightly more displacement and his muffler being modified, I still believe a stock 661 will beat it.

IIRC, the rat trap baffle is still installed on his 660, and even if the baffle was removed, the 661 will still beat it
I believe you are correct. However, I also know how people are. People will see the difference being less than it really is and take it out of context. I simply think you're better off to compare apples to apples.

I believe you are correct. However, I also know how people are. People will see the difference being less than it really is and take it out of context. I simply think you're better off to compare apples to apples.

Do your 661 stock to 661 muffler modded tests independently from this test.

I have observed a 1-1.5 second LOSS in time by removing the baffle on my 461 and 660. Removing the baffle on a stock 461 or 660 seems to be a BAD idea.

My bubble top 066 gained about the same with a re-tune after the baffle was removed.
I don't remember if you did or not, but wasn't there a question of re-tuning after modifying your muffler before re-testing it ?

That's whats nice about M-Tronic and Autotune, no need to re-tune and just about every cut is dialed in

well shouldn't a muffler should be at a certain temp to burn the gases or else you have carbon build up. As far as the 660 baffle goes. I look at it like this.

Stihl had the same baffle in the old 066 that they do today. My understanding is they had that baffle in the original design, even BEFORE the EPA regs. They met the epa regs by making the port smaller. ie. .625 down to .375. and also changing the cylinder some. But that baffle has never changed. That's my understanding.

You do need some back pressure in most systems. Not all, but most. 461 and 660 seem to need it. You can get it from a baffle or you can take out the baffle and get it from restricting the exit port size ie. From what i can tell it's better to get the back pressure from the baffle and open up the exit port size.

well shouldn't a muffler should be at a certain temp to burn the gases or else you have carbon build up. As far as the 660 baffle goes. I look at it like this.

Stihl had the same baffle in the old 066 that they do today. My understanding is they had that baffle in the original design, even BEFORE the EPA regs. They met the epa regs by making the port smaller. ie. .625 down to .375. That's my understanding.

Cool man , i dont really look that far into it , i gut em' and run eth free gas and lucas or belray mixed at 32:1 and get to work.

Stihl had the same baffle in the old 066 that they do today. My understanding is they had that baffle in the original design, even BEFORE the EPA regs. They met the epa regs by making the port smaller. ie. .625 down to .375. and also changing the cylinder some. But that baffle has never changed. That's my understanding.

You do need some back pressure in most systems. Not all, but most. 461 and 660 seem to need it. You can get it from a baffle or you can take out the baffle and get it from restricting the exit port size ie. From what i can tell it's better to get the back pressure from the baffle and open up the exit port size.

I gotta give you credit though , you have way more patience than i do , this all makes for a hell of a read .. its interesting for sure.

This might make sense, except when I take off any of my mufflers and look inside. Since I have no baffles, and my muffler exit isn't white but cruddy and gooey black, I am willing to wager that my saws run pretty cool. I have zero carbon build up on the piston crown, no carbon on the rings, and almost a mirror finish in the exhaust port

The other thing I found when I ran no baffles is I had to adjust the carb quite a bit richer. Burned more gas. Didn't get any more power.

The power might change if there was more air coming into the system via like a max flow setup?

They do sound nicer with out the baffle, that's for sure :)

cooler - The only way to be sure is to put a thermo gun on the jug after the cuts with each muffler setup.

faster - but just removing the baffle proved to be slower on both the 461 and 660

Which 044 is running hotter ?
Dont need a temp gun when you have witness marks

Attachments

• IMG Andy 044 before MM.JPG
    IMG Andy 044 before MM.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 2014-11-05 06.37.42.jpg
    2014-11-05 06.37.42.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 52

Latest posts

Back