661R Fever ...it's here!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my experience with 8 pin...

-With the Tsumura bars I was able to use new or used chains with the standard amount of DL's (as mentioned previously) with the 8 pin sprocket. Reason being: the Tsumura bar is cut, just a touch more concave on the end vs like say a stihl. Thus allowing the bar to get a little closer to the sprocket.

- with Stihl bars - I was able to do it with the standard amount of DL's but only after the chain had been stretched some from use.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

seems good so far. Maybe I'll put a 36" on tomorrow and see what happens. Any ideas on ways to test it vs the 660???
maybe put some oil in a ratio right ,make a bunch of cuts and see how much it takes too top off ?,the cardboard on the ground works somewhat ,how much flings off the bar tip wide open for a certain amount of time ,the ratio rite may give better results though ,or a cc saringe ,but that is getting technical ,lol

I'm wondering why in the manual for the 661 shows the longest of any bars is a 30"? The 660 shows 36". Does this indicate a lower output oiler than the 660?

Ok blasted over to friends house again and did tank 7. Then I decided to do an unplanned little mini test. Here are some vids -

661 - just hitting the throttle a little and listening to it run -

661R cutting - 28" tsumura bar and a Stihl RSLH chain converted to RS H (round ground half skip). This is hand filed by me and im not the best at filing. Wood on left = willow (soft) Wood on Right Oak

then did the 660R cutting - same bar & chain I just used with 661R. This 660 has a 066 .625" size side port + dp cover.

Mini test - using same bar n chain

660 - plunge in no problem. 11.8 on the cut

661 - plunge in no problem. 10.4 10.2 on cuts. and no problem digging into that oak!

So it seems that the 661R has more speed and quite a bit more torque. And is going to walk all over my muff modded 660R when I do the full tests.

Hey redbull660 I see you're from Wisconsin where did you buy your 661R from? I've called 3 dealers around me in Indiana and no one has a clue about a 661, let alone a 661R.

my experience with 8 pin...

-With the Tsumura bars I was able to use new or used chains with the standard amount of DL's (as mentioned previously) with the 8 pin sprocket. Reason being: the Tsumura bar is cut, just a touch more concave on the end vs like say a stihl. Thus allowing the bar to get a little closer to the sprocket.

- with Stihl bars - I was able to do it with the standard amount of DL's but only after the chain had been stretched some from use.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------?

Same here, except I was able to get them on if I took the rim off and put the bar, chain, and rim on together: sometimes

Ok blasted over to friends house again and did tank 7. Then I decided to do an unplanned little mini test. Here are some vids -

661 - just hitting the throttle a little and listening to it run -

661R cutting - 28" tsumura bar and a Stihl RSLH chain converted to RS H (round ground half skip). This is hand filed by me and im not the best at filing. Wood on left = willow (soft) Wood on Right Oak

then did the 660R cutting - same bar & chain I just used with 661R. This 660 has a 066 .625" size side port + dp cover.

Mini test - using same bar n chain

660 - plunge in no problem. 11.8 on the cut

661 - plunge in no problem. 10.4 10.2 on cuts. and no problem digging into that oak!

So it seems that the 661R has more speed and quite a bit more torque. And is going to walk all over my muff modded 660R when I do the full tests.

I got some bar oil in my left eye watching that 1st vid, you should have warned us to put our glasses on :) :)

did some chain testing yesterday with the 66R and a 36" bar. IMO the 661 drives a 36" no problem and oils fine.

The chains are -

Factory RS
RS resharpened with USG 30/40/10
RSLH (sq grd half skip) converted to RS H (rapid super/round ground half skip) with USG 30/40/10

all 3 chains have done the same amount of cuts before this test. Approx 15 ea.
Saw 661R, bar tsumura 36", oiler at max

Wood - Cherry or Rock Elm one of the two....it's hard as a rock and now it's frozen. About 15 out yesterday.
factory RS

RS resharpened USG 30/40/10 -

RS "H" converted from RSLH resharpened USG 30/40/10 ...you'll have to excuse my language at the end

------------------------------------
New wood - willow and oak

factory RS

RS resharpened USG 30/40/10 -

RS "H" converted from RSLH resharpened USG 30/40/10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjGg_DABLZA

Times in Cherry -
factory RS - 33.7
resharp RS - 34.8
resharp RS "H" - 32.6

Times in willow oak
factory RS - 19.3 16.8
re-sharp RS - 19.7 17.9
re-sharp RS "H" - 18.1 13.8

man I wish Stihl made RS half skip!!! (instead of having to convert RSLH) RS "H" is soo smooth and fast.

Those are great videos. Especially when I haven't had much time to get out a give the 661 a run on some big Goonies. Sure gives me a mid-winter fix hearing the engines pull through big hard wood.

My Dealer says they are selling about one 661 a day right now since they are re-released. If anyone is on the fence to buy one you might want to get moving as I'm hearing the price on at least a couple of Pro saws will go up January 1. And if true to form the 661 once the sales start selling will probably go up too.

I feel a bit of sticker shock anymore when I walk into a Dealer, Husqvarna or Stihl. Where will it end?

Those are great videos. Especially when I haven't had much time to get out a give the 661 a run on some big Goonies. Sure gives me a mid-winter fix hearing the engines pull through big hard wood.

My Dealer says they are selling about one 661 a day right now since they are re-released. If anyone is on the fence to buy one you might want to get moving as I'm hearing the price on at least a couple of Pro saws will go up January 1. And if true to form the 661 once the sales start selling will probably go up too.

I feel a bit of sticker shock anymore when I walk into a Dealer, Husqvarna or Stihl. Where will it end?
That last part is why I won't buy any new stihls any more. Even with a nice discount a 441 or 461 is more expensive than a 390 and the same price as a 395. I can get a 3120 for about $100 over the sticker on the 661.

Latest posts

Back