661R Fever ...it's here!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
put the first 4 tanks through the saw today. Took it real easy first the first 3 tanks. Amazing power for an unbroken in saw. Very smooth. Tons of torque. Very very impressed.

tank 4 I was noodling in half some nice chunks of frozen oak. 661R ate it up with no problem.

Can't wait to put it up against the 660s

id like to see the two saws run together the 661 and the 660

put the first 4 tanks through the saw today. Took it real easy first the first 3 tanks. Amazing power for an unbroken in saw. Very smooth. Tons of torque. Very very impressed.

tank 4 I was noodling in half some nice chunks of frozen oak. 661R ate it up with no problem.

Can't wait to put it up against the 660s
Do yourself a favour and find some unwanted uncool oil that does not have to be anything special and run that in your mix for breakin. Just don't use 100% full synthetic oil.... mix a lil rich for breakin. Now you only get ONE go at this and oem jugs cost plenty so get it RIGHT. NO baby baby easy peasy cutting at half throttle or long idle periods. Brief warm up then straight into some nice big wood and give it hell!! If you want a good break in that could result in say a 2-8% nett power gain over a poor ring seal you need to create as much pressure in that cylinder as possible. Gas pressure is what seats rings. So you need to create it!

Do yourself a favour and find some unwanted uncool oil that does not have to be anything special and run that in your mix for breakin. Just don't use 100% full synthetic oil.... mix a lil rich for breakin. Now you only get ONE go at this and oem jugs cost plenty so get it RIGHT. NO baby baby easy peasy cutting at half throttle or long idle periods. Brief warm up then straight into some nice big wood and give it hell!! If you want a good break in that could result in say a 2-8% nett power gain over a poor ring seal you need to create as much pressure in that cylinder as possible. Gas pressure is what seats rings. So you need to create it!

1. I have heard from several what I would consider reliable sources (chemical engineer friend, several mechanics) that every brand/type of oil has a slightly different chemical make up. Maybe that is true maybe it's not. Maybe it doesn't mater. But why take the chance. I run Stihl ultra synthetic mix from day 1. And I don't use anything else. I run my cars the same way...same mobil one oil every change. Got 320k miles before I traded it in.

2. I've heard it every which way to sunday to run 40 to 1 to run 50 to 1. I've actually tested both in the 660 on the same day, with the same bar, with new chains, in the same wood, - tune didn't change, the bar temperature didn't change, the jug temp didn't change, the cut times were basically identical as well. Slight advantage on the larger log with the 40 to 1. Bottom line I split the difference and do 92 octane ethanol free with stihl ultra at 45 to 1. That gives me 1.8 gal of fuel to work with vs 1.6 gal (40:1) or 2.0 gal (50:1)

yesterday - I started the saw (took 2 pulls) and I let it idle for about 5-8min to warm up, while I got stuff ready. It was 18 F degrees out. 661 and I were out for 6hrs. First tree was a simple cedar about 12" across. fell it, cut it up. Next was 20" white pine. So guy wanted it in 16s so I got a bunch of full throttle in soft wood quick cuts. I tried to keep the low throttle stuff to a minimum as the saw would be running leaner. After that I cut up a pile of maple. And then cut up a big oak. Finally on tank 4 I was putting some real stress on the saw by noodling the frozen oak. I ended up cutting and stacking a lot of wood. Gas mileage I would say is better than the 660.

See page 36 of 661 stihl manual

v8li4w.jpg

"unnecessarily high loads during break in period" - basically to me it says don't really stress the saw for the first 3 tanks.

now I've gone through 5 or 6 660's and I have found the saws to be faster if I did a nice idle period after I first started the saw. maybe im wrong i dunno. I don't have enough money to get scientific about it and buy a bunch of new saws all at once to try it. But doing the break in the way I just described has given me good results.

When r u gonna compare the 2 saws?

660R has about 15-17 tanks on it.
661R has about 4 ...I'll try and get a few more tanks on it today. I would like to get the 661 up to 15 and then compare em.

same bar, same bar oil, same clean air filter, same fuel, new chains, same wood, same day. Same amount of tanks.

I really want things to be apples to apples.

I'll do a vid with 28" and 36"

Speaking of which - how do you guys want me to do the cuts? press on the saw as hard as I can? Dawg in and lean? Saw feed itself? Moderate pressure or what I think will yield the fastest time?

660R has about 15-17 tanks on it.
661R has about 4 ...I'll try and get a few more tanks on it today. I would like to get the 661 up to 15 and then compare em.

same bar, same bar oil, same clean air filter, same fuel, new chains, same wood, same day. Same amount of tanks.

I really want things to be apples to apples.

I'll do a vid with 28" and 36"

Speaking of which - how do you guys want me to do the cuts? press on the saw as hard as I can? Dawg in and lean? Saw feed itself? Moderate pressure or what I think will yield the fastest time?
Actual cutting condition pressure!! Lol. I like to cut with moderate pressure on the handle

IMHO, first cut is a self feeding cut, second cut is whatever you decide ..................

Also, I must say that I'm very optimistic right now about the 661, since it has so much power right now at tank 4.

The last saw I broke in was the 461R ...that thing really gained power around tank 7-8.

So, I can't wait to see this saw at tank 15.

Inquiring Minds Want to know.

Tell Us, Tell Us Now!!!!

ok ok ya slave drivers! lol Don't get your panties all bunched up! :)

outside dawgs match up - except top 661 dawg is bigger
inside dawgs match up - except top 661 dawg is bigger

installed the 661 dawgs on the 660 and everything seems to be just fine.

I know someone is gonna wanna know the difference in weight so I got that too!

see pics

Attachments

• P1190172.JPG
    P1190172.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 82
  • P1190176.JPG
    P1190176.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 82
  • P1190177.JPG
    P1190177.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 79
  • P1190178.JPG