661R Fever ...it's here!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be nice if the 661 balanced better than the 660 with long bars. The 660 needed a bit more torque, better AV, and better balance. Sounds like Stihl got at least 2 out of three of those. Maybe 2 & 1/2 out of three.

My dealer has the 661's all set up with 25" bars. Due to the fact they feel more nose heavy in mine and his opinion than a 660. A 25" is not enough bar. I had it buried in 25" wood and it didn't even seem download they saw without significant pressure. I traded a nice 660 for this saw and this saw is much stronger I feel stock to stock.

I would like to try a 28" light bar to see how it feels.
That would equate to near perfection provided it is a Stihl ES 28" Light.....the other 28's on the market are not exactly light. The light es 28" has made my 660 completely change its personality. l have sugi light/tsumara light and the lightest of light bars lMO are made by Stihl. Sawtroll may have somthing to say about this...mmmm let me guess

25 &28 inch bars seem a waste on this size saw. I ran a 25" for a while on my 066, but that saw was for stumping. I find a 066 too heavy and bulky for firewood cutting in the woods. Too many vibes over a long day as well. I have since sold the 066 in favor of a 460. It pulls a 28" as well as my 066 did. Maybe not in Aussie, but here in the PNW it sure does. A 32 or 36 inch bar is where a 90cc + saw will shine over a 76cc or 80cc saw. A 28 doesn't prove much IM<HO.

I wish i would have had a 36" to run on it side by side a 395 that my brother ported for a customer last week. I was bucking logs with a full comp 36" yesterday and if u leaned on it hard with the bar buried the clutch would slip..lol clutch I was in good shape BTW. I felt like the 661 will have more rpm than the 395 but fall a little short on torque.

I found the ES 28" bar to feel a bit short for the 661. Made it feel butt heavy, and like others have said, for a 90cc saw, a bigger bar really allows it to shine. I went with the 32" ES bar on mine as it seemed to really balance the saw. The 36" made it really nose heavy, and since I'm not really in wood big enough to need the 36", the 32" bar seemed the perfect solution. For me and my cutting needs anyway. YMMV.

I think the 390 & 660 shine with a 32" bar. The 395 may be heavy but kinda seems to own the 36" territory. I am glad to hear the 661 balances with a 32"

On the 461R I really enjoyed the 28" bar. Toss up between the 24 and 28" for me. If they made a 26" would probably be perfect. Tsumura 24" or Tsumura 28" probably my favorites. 28" stihl light bar nice too. But I think the tsumura runs better - smoother, faster, cooler and it's only a couple oz heavier.

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...length-bars-in-same-wood.267226/#post-5054586

On 660R - 28" bar seemed to be the sweet spot for balance and power. Seemed to have a drop off in cutting speed in the same wood when I went longer. I personally like the 28" tsumura for just about everything on the 660R. 36" if I need to go long. IMO 28" light bars balances the best on that saw. Easier on my back. Call me crazy but, I think the chain lasts longer then a 24".

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/bar-data-picture-thread.265892/

Latest posts

Back