661R Fever ...it's here!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am surprised Stihl did not move their handle mount location to improve the balance more. Between that, spring AV, and the increased power of the 4 port cylinder, they would have had the 390 on the run. Well they got two out of three. I am not bashing Stihl as I like their quality better, but the handling ball it appears, is still in the Husky court.

East coast hardwood baby;)
A bar should fit you like an axe or a baseball bat ,save the back being arched over cutting ,32 fits me fine personally ,28 i have to arch over too much ,36 does not fit me either ..........Carry on ,i am glad we do not have to cut rocks out here like you guys do :popcorn:

25 &28 inch bars seem a waste on this size saw. I ran a 25" for a while on my 066, but that saw was for stumping. I find a 066 too heavy and bulky for firewood cutting in the woods. Too many vibes over a long day as well. I have since sold the 066 in favor of a 460. It pulls a 28" as well as my 066 did. Maybe not in Aussie, but here in the PNW it sure does. A 32 or 36 inch bar is where a 90cc + saw will shine over a 76cc or 80cc saw. A 28 doesn't prove much IM<HO.
28" is a decent bar in hardwoods on the east coast. Not a lot of trees over 28" back east....but the wood is hard...not Aussie hard but pretty hard.

30" full comp FTW

couldn't stand the white plastic part of the wrap anymore so I painted it. :) little 320 grit sand paper to rough up the surface and give something for the paint to bond to. Turned out good.

Here are the specs from the owners manuals 661 vs 660

before
5ogqhx.jpg

After

35iayjq.jpg

28clwzl.jpg

1z5mffb.jpg

xellix.jpg

2w6s6s3.jpg

IMO it comes down to surface area.

And the metric I use is the 066 magnum...

066 mag port size .625" translates into .3066" 2 (inches square)
066 mag dual cover = ~1.20" x .50" = .600"2

So total surface area on the 066mag was - .9066"2

660 - comes with a stock port of .375" dia which yields .1103"2. (no wonder it sucks out of the box) To get 066mag size/levels you just open up the port to .625" diameter. and added the dp cover.

661 - Right now we've got .3066"2 as the 661 port hole is the same as the 066mag. .625"

Opening up the port further - even if you open it up to 1.00" diameter hole - that translates into - .785"2
or
if you did a 2nd .625 hole on the other side of the muffler you'd have another .3066" and a total of .6132"2

So...

1. Problem is we don't actually know how much the 661 could utilize as the internal baffle is less restrictive than the 066 and 660 (they had the same internal baffle). At least with the 461 and 660 muff modding I found that leaving the baffle alone ACTUALLY got you faster cut times.

2. to get to 066 mag .9066"2 surface area levels in the 661 - you'd need a larger stock port and a 2nd port. Each would have to be approx .75" diameter which would yield .8832"2.

Or you could go a large stock port and a smaller hole on the other side like .375".

Personally I'd leave em the same size. and I'd have to guess another .625" hole would be good enough. Or maybe one hole would be more eff.

So let's see here

if you could do one big hole 1.00" dia - .785"2
if you did another .625" hole you get - .6132"2
or again
you could do two semi big holes - 1. open stock up to .75" and make a 2nd .75" dia hole. =.8832"2 Is there room to do this? man I dunno. Problem is you need a deflector designed to fit this new side wall of the 661 rear half.

drill a hole on the other side and carve it out larger with a carbide burr,here is my ms440 muffler ,this saw runs good like this ,the deflector is off a husky 288,the stock opening is untouched ,this is an early 044 muffler off a 10mm saw 440 hybrid 10-27-14 003.JPG 440 hybrid 10-27-14 005.JPG

Brad, I am with you. My gut tells me to just open the existing port. I am concerned dual porting or going to big will hurt the exhaust velocity. What you think?

You guys need to quit fondling your new saws and cut some wood. Real wood, not this cookie-cutter foolishness. Okay, if the cookie is at least forty inches in diameter it's alright. Otherwise you're just teasing that saw.

Put a 36" or a 42" bar on the 661...the saw deserves it. Anything less than a 32 is almost an insult to a saw that size. If you turn the oiler up and don't use 90w sludge for oil it will handle a 42 just fine.

Find a log big enough to bury the bar and cut...cut all day . That's the true measure of a saw.

Why not run the saw stock for awhile before you start carving on them? Won't the gains be more noticeable if you have a stock base for comparison?

And before anybody asks...yes, I've run the 661. I've run one quite a bit. It's a fine saw. It's not a Holy Icon but it's probably one of the best things Stihl has come out with in a while. But it's a saw...go cut something with it.

Okay, back to your fondling and fapping now. :rolleyes:

Remember....we have hardwoods over here..its strong but 42" in hardwood? I ran a ported 395 with a 36" in hardwood buried in 2 logs bucking them and it was all the clutch would stand. The clutch was fine BTW.

Back