661R Fever ...it's here!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How r u liking that ported 362?

It is a nice light, fast, smooth saw, and I use it quite a bit, but if I need to do some serious bucking, I turn to one of the larger ones, and that 046 just really reduces the cut time for bucking the larger logs.

If I could only have one saw it would be an 044, but for a 2 saw plan it would be the 362 and 046.

I had some starting issues with the 362 till I learned not to use that decompression valve (once warmed up I can use it just fine). The 044s don't have em, and with the 046 I need to use it, but it seems to work fine that way.

It is a nice light, fast, smooth saw, and I use it quite a bit, but if I need to do some serious bucking, I turn to one of the larger ones, and that 046 just really reduces the cut time for bucking the larger logs.

If I could only have one saw it would be an 044, but for a 2 saw plan it would be the 362 and 046.

I had some starting issues with the 362 till I learned not to use that decompression valve (once warmed up I can use it just fine). The 044s don't have em, and with the 046 I need to use it, but it seems to work fine that way.
Odd . My 362 hasnt given me that problem as its been flawless. Anything over 20" I pick my 461 up

Mike if your enough of an animal to use a 362 as a limbing saw you dont need no stinkin decomp :D

The last saw I broke in was the 362. It gained power for 5-6 tanks, but after that I think is was as good as it was going to be.
Mine seemed to keep gaining through 8-10 tanks then seemed to plateau. My 271 kept building power through the first 12 tanks. I swear it has better power than its sibling 261.

I got a little tendentious in the right elbow from the splitting, so was trying to go easy on the pull cord stuff. Guess it is just an age thing!

Try a 2260 they are lighter and balance better...:)... or a 241..they are sweet little limbing saws.

Redbull, as far as loading the saw, I do what I imagine most folks do, which is, once warm, I push a saw till it stops the chain. By doing this I kinda know the saws capability. I find its just a way of feeling the torque it has compared to another saw. This is best side by side with another saw if possible. Otherwise it probably would take a lot of experience in the woods like a proffesional faller or bucker to learn this.

here it is with a 28" Tsumura Light .063 .404 - with a custom made Stihl RS "double skip" chain is what I call it. heh Right cutter, left cutter, then two open DL's, then right cutter, left cutter, and 2 open DL's again etc.

28" tsumura light balances really nice on the saw. Maybe better than the 660.

I'll do more pics and get her started tomorrow.

zu324m.jpg

2i93784.jpg
Does that tsumura use the same amount of drive links as the stock bar so you can use your chains you have?

ok got another 2 tanks through it.

blasted over to my friend's place. He has this ~25" wide willow log approx 10 feet long. Stuff isn't worth a sh*t to burn. We've kept it around just in case I thought of some test to use it for. Well, today was the day lol

Warmed up the 661 (about 35 F out today pretty warm) for about 5min. You can tell when it's ready to go, as it won't cut out any more. ie. when you first start it and if you try to rev it close to wot it'll blip/cut out.

So with the 28" Tsumura bar and RS half skip I dawged in again and again and again making the skinniest cookies I could. I could not get the saw to bog down. It just has amazing torque. (I'll have to try it with the 660) Anyway, I burned up a tank just doing that. Let the saw rest for about 5-10min and proceeded to do it again for another tank. It was actually kind of fun. Made a mountain of chips! lol

Considering I was running WOT in the wood, constantly, I was very surprised how long the fuel lasted. Maybe I'll have to try that with 660 as well.

Does that tsumura use the same amount of drive links as the stock bar so you can use your chains you have?

Yes...

In 3/8ths
20" = 72dl
24" = 84dl
28" = 91DL
30" = 98 DL
32" = 105 DL
36" = 114 DL - the bar actually says 115, however that is to many and 114 is perfect. Guess the boyz in japan didn't do their conversions correctly or something.

Yes...

In 3/8ths
20" = 72dl
24" = 84dl
28" = 91DL
30" = 98 DL
32" = 105 DL
36" = 114 DL - the bar actually says 115, however that is to many and 114 is perfect. Guess the boyz in japan didn't do their conversions correctly or something.
Nice I got to get one of them.

ok got another 2 tanks through it.

blasted over to my friend's place. He has this ~25" wide willow log approx 10 feet long. Stuff isn't worth a sh*t to burn. We've kept it around just in case I thought of some test to use it for. Well, today was the day lol

Warmed up the 661 (about 35 F out today pretty warm) for about 5min. You can tell when it's ready to go, as it won't cut out any more. ie. when you first start it and if you try to rev it close to wot it'll blip/cut out.

So with the 28" Tsumura bar and RS half skip I dawged in again and again and again making the skinniest cookies I could. I could not get the saw to bog down. It just has amazing torque. (I'll have to try it with the 660) Anyway, I burned up a tank just doing that. Let the saw rest for about 5-10min and proceeded to do it again for another tank. It was actually kind of fun. Made a mountain of chips! lol

Considering I was running WOT in the wood, constantly, I was very surprised how long the fuel lasted. Maybe I'll have to try that with 660 as well.
How is the oiler on this saw ?

8 pin dl #

my experience with 8 pin...

-With the Tsumura bars I was able to use new or used chains with the standard amount of DL's (as mentioned previously) with the 8 pin sprocket. Reason being: the Tsumura bar is cut, just a touch more concave on the end vs like say a stihl. Thus allowing the bar to get a little closer to the sprocket.

- with Stihl bars - I was able to do it with the standard amount of DL's but only after the chain had been stretched some from use.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is the oiler on this saw ?

seems good so far. Maybe I'll put a 36" on tomorrow and see what happens. Any ideas on ways to test it vs the 660???

Back