70cc saw opinions based on these factors...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own 2 572's and a 500i. The 500 is a power house but it like to be run high in the rpm range and consequently it eats chain a bit faster. I personally belive that the 572 is the better built saw. Better air filtration. Better AV system and it is far easier on your hands. FYI. I plan to sell one of my 572's as I have a 592 coming.

My vote is for the 500i. I have a 562xp. It’s a good saw but I fear in the long run the 500i will probably outlast it. Also I’m not a professional faller by any mean but I can get a nice looking stump and get it to go where I want no problem…… most of the time. Beaty nice saw to run

Hello all!

I'm thankful for the knowledge shared on forums like this by those who actually have experience with these saws!

So here's what I'm after, and then I'll say the factors influencing my decision:

What I'm after: A primary chainsaw in the 70cc range for nearly every kind of situation, but typically storm debris help. I primarily use an MS 261CM and an MS 661CM, and between the two I've typically been just fine. But now I'm seeing some situations where I'd like a "middle" of the road saw that will now get about 70%+ of my cutting time.

Factors:
Desire- I really want a 572xp, but for what might be a dumb reason. I haven't owned anything from Husqvarna, and I'd like to try the brand. I've owned an MS 250, two 261cm's, a 462cm, a 661cm, and an Echo CS 590. The problem is that I've got a great Stihl dealer, and our Husqvarna dealer can get me anything but it isn't a large part of their (primarily lawnmower) business. No Echo dealers nearby.

Experience- I've owned a 462cm, and with a 24" bar I just didn't feel it had enough power for my needs, thus I sold it and got a 661. For all I know, I had "bad one," because it really did bog down low when buried in pine, and the chain would sometimes fully stop when buried in oak. I've seen plenty of Youtube videos of the 462 having more success with a 24" bar though, so I may be willing to give it another go.

Rain- So far I've done most of my work in decent weather, but I wouldn't mind a saw that can be run in the rain also if possible. I've emailed both Stihl and Husqvarna about this, and their response was basically this:
Stihl: "Please don't!"
Husqvarna: "Bring it!"
I have no idea if that is wisdom or not, just passing the info along to see if anyone has real experience using one of these saws in the rain and it being fine.

Lastly- I'm open to the 500i also, but the main thing holding me back is that many say the saw isn't great for "delicate" work, but that it operates like an on and off switch. I know that chainsaws are designed to be run WOT, but sometimes when felling, I've been watching the top of a tree in the wind and I'm making small adjustments to the back-cut while I wait for the right moment, and I don't want a saw that just flies through the hinge. Also, some have noted the fuel consumption being noticeably worse than the other two saws. And just from the looks of the back, it probably is the worst in this group for inclement weather.

Any insights from those with experience would be much appreciated!

-Andrew
And there are times when your life may depend on a saw getting through the cut fast enough like Barber Chairing. That saw isn't on and off you can control the throttle like other saws. Should get one if you are not very experienced then dont.

Hello all!

I'm thankful for the knowledge shared on forums like this by those who actually have experience with these saws!

So here's what I'm after, and then I'll say the factors influencing my decision:

What I'm after: A primary chainsaw in the 70cc range for nearly every kind of situation, but typically storm debris help. I primarily use an MS 261CM and an MS 661CM, and between the two I've typically been just fine. But now I'm seeing some situations where I'd like a "middle" of the road saw that will now get about 70%+ of my cutting time.

Factors:
Desire- I really want a 572xp, but for what might be a dumb reason. I haven't owned anything from Husqvarna, and I'd like to try the brand. I've owned an MS 250, two 261cm's, a 462cm, a 661cm, and an Echo CS 590. The problem is that I've got a great Stihl dealer, and our Husqvarna dealer can get me anything but it isn't a large part of their (primarily lawnmower) business. No Echo dealers nearby.

Experience- I've owned a 462cm, and with a 24" bar I just didn't feel it had enough power for my needs, thus I sold it and got a 661. For all I know, I had "bad one," because it really did bog down low when buried in pine, and the chain would sometimes fully stop when buried in oak. I've seen plenty of Youtube videos of the 462 having more success with a 24" bar though, so I may be willing to give it another go.

Rain- So far I've done most of my work in decent weather, but I wouldn't mind a saw that can be run in the rain also if possible. I've emailed both Stihl and Husqvarna about this, and their response was basically this:
I have no idea if that is wisdom or not, just passing the info along to see if anyone has real experience using one of these saws in the rain and it being fine.

Lastly- I'm open to the 500i also, but the main thing holding me back is that many say the saw isn't great for "delicate" work, but that it operates like an on and off switch. I know that chainsaws are designed to be run WOT, but sometimes when felling, I've been watching the top of a tree in the wind and I'm making small adjustments to the back-cut while I wait for the right moment, and I don't want a saw that just flies through the hinge. Also, some have noted the fuel consumption being noticeably worse than the other two saws. And just from the looks of the back, it probably is the worst in this group for inclement weather.

Any insights from those with experience would be much appreciated!

-Andrew
I will comment on fuel consumption for the MS500i. It has a smaller fuel tank than some others in its class, so it has a shorter run time. But I have found I can cut more wood in 35 minutes with the 500i than I could in 45 minutes with the 441C, even though the 441C held more fuel. So, actually, the fuel economy of the 500i is good, in terms of work performed for fuel used. I would not know about delicate work. I just cut firewood. I don't climb trees.

..............Rain- So far I've done most of my work in decent weather, but I wouldn't mind a saw that can be run in the rain also if possible. I've emailed both Stihl and Husqvarna about this, and their response was basically this:
I would love to see that message from Stihl. I think whoever replied from Stihl is a complete dipstick.

Go tell the fine men and women in the PNW that cut daily in the rain that their Stihl saws will not perform...

If you know someone with a 462 maybe see if you can run a tank through it to compare to your old one. I run a 24" bar on an older 460, it's always run well. Almost all of my wood I cut is hardwood, in fact the only time I really cut any softwood is doing clean up. It will absolutely rip through the softer stuff.

I just cut this pin oak in half yesterday to bring home with my 460, a tree I cut down last year. It took 2 cuts to get through it with a 24" bar but does not struggle in the least.
20221008_083520.jpg20221008_083738.jpg20221008_083546.jpg

The 572 is a heavy saw for its displacement but tough. I think for what you want an ms400 would be perfect, but look at a 562xp also. It’s only a 60cc but they cut right with a 70cc in my opinion. A 562 or 400 are what I end up using 90% of the time even on big (to me) wood. My 400 required upgrades to run a longer bar but the 562 is set up ready for a 28” out of the box…. Strong AV and a healthy oiler, two things my 400 now has but didn’t when I first got it.

Ms360 pro.
Best saw we've ever had. Mild port work and ported muffler. I swear it ran neck and neck with the ms460. Maybe because it's lighter. Going on 15 years and it just keeps going.

It sounds like you want the 572 and you have had a bad experience with the 462. No one is saying anything bad about the 572 and everyone seems to agree it is a very respectable and reliable saw.
Under those circumstances I can't understand why you are thinking of getting another 462 - a saw you said you were disappointed in.
What am I missing?

I would love to see that message from Stihl. I think whoever replied from Stihl is a complete dipstick.

Go tell the fine men and women in the PNW that cut daily in the rain that their Stihl saws will not perform...
My husqvarna heated handles dried my gloves out, if they were not to run in the rain there would be no work done......anywhere haha

My husqvarna heated handles dried my gloves out, if they were not to run in the rain there would be no work done......anywhere haha
I rarely cut in the rain simply because I do not have to but I know a lot of folks do. As you said if they did not run in the rain no work would get done. You are 100 percent correct

I own 2 572's and a 500i. The 500 is a power house but it like to be run high in the rpm range and consequently it eats chain a bit faster. I personally belive that the 572 is the better built saw. Better air filtration. Better AV system and it is far easier on your hands. FYI. I plan to sell one of my 572's as I have a 592 coming.
I actually saw a dyno test curve on the 500i. It has a huge torque increase at low rpm, which is consistent with how it feels to me. Peak power, if I recall, is around 9000 rpm. That seems to be the sweet spot.

srew the BS.... buy a 10 yer old stihl, or Husky or Echo or Makita... as long as its the pro level you will get what you pay for....even a blown one that you change the P&C on is still a steal. everybody here will tout their favorite and demonize the competition. I saw the saws form the last 15-20 are the pinacle and buying any of the pro level from that time frame will not do you wrong... PS buy the one you can order parts for online.

Back