70cc saw opinions based on these factors...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for the feedback!

I ordered a...

Husky 572xpg! Should arrive sometime tomorrow and I'll say what I think about it after I get a chance to test it out in the next week or so. The only concern I have for it is that I know a lot of people who say they are heavy, but I'm used to carrying around the 661cm so I'm hoping it feels at least a bit lighter than that. I hope for this to become my "main" saw, and lots of people log with it all day so it should be ok.

Thanks again!

Not Stihl the company. But I can buy pretty much any part or tool from a decent online shop. Except the diagnostic tools for the electronic carbs, I guess. I never tried.
yeah here in japan you cannot order any parts online and most shops will not order parts for you either. its they fix it or it does not get fixed. fortunately I can order husky parts online from the states.

On my Dolmars (5105 and 7910) I got two different air filters with them. It was recommended to use the fine plastic grid one in wet weather and the wholly one in dry weather.
The nylon screen filter is for winter usage . The flocked denser mesh filter is for summer usage . I always use the flock filter year round ( better filtration ) , simply flip the cold weather shutter , which will prevent the filter frosting up bud ! ;)

Mine lives with a 28" bar, I've never even had less than a 28 mounted on it. The only place I've ever had it struggle,l was in dead, standing, burned &sun-bleached oak. In that case, I wasn't surprised as those particular trees would be miserable to cut with any saw...they dry out instead of rotting and seem to pick up extra hardness. Even then, it had as much to do with my rakers as anything...my chain was set up for cutting softwoods and was a bit too grabby on that oak.

I wasn't really impressed with the 462 when new, but it really came around after several tanks. The 400 was the same in this regard.

I've never run a 572, everyone's gone to Stihl around here, but it sounds like they are a torquey saw for their size. I guess they don't mind running longer bars. My only knock against them, is they look a little hefty on the spec sheet.
Yeah the 572 will pull & oil a 28 " bar fine . That's all I ran on my 576 xp also !

If you know someone with a 462 maybe see if you can run a tank through it to compare to your old one. I run a 24" bar on an older 460, it's always run well. Almost all of my wood I cut is hardwood, in fact the only time I really cut any softwood is doing clean up. It will absolutely rip through the softer stuff.

I just cut this pin oak in half yesterday to bring home with my 460, a tree I cut down last year. It took 2 cuts to get through it with a 24" bar but does not struggle in the least.
View attachment 1022842View attachment 1022843View attachment 1022844
Yeah 24 " is Optimium with 460 series in hardwood , 28 " with skip tooth is fine also if you can sharpen a chain well . I have run 32" & 36" in soft woods (Red & White Pines) with 70 & 80 cc class saws here up North where we routinely have seasonal blowdowns of 28" - 38" pines . If he wants a 572xp it would easily handle the same bars as the Stihl also , in my experience .

The 572 is a heavy saw for its displacement but tough. I think for what you want an ms400 would be perfect, but look at a 562xp also. It’s only a 60cc but they cut right with a 70cc in my opinion. A 562 or 400 are what I end up using 90% of the time even on big (to me) wood. My 400 required upgrades to run a longer bar but the 562 is set up ready for a 28” out of the box…. Strong AV and a healthy oiler, two things my 400 now has but didn’t when I first got it.
What type of 28" chain you running on the 60 cc 562 Parker ?

I ordered a...

Husky 572xpg! Should arrive sometime tomorrow and I'll say what I think about it after I get a chance to test it out in the next week or so. The only concern I have for it is that I know a lot of people who say they are heavy, but I'm used to carrying around the 661cm so I'm hoping it feels at least a bit lighter than that. I hope for this to become my "main" saw, and lots of people log with it all day so it should be ok.

Thanks again!
Congrats young fellow , you will be pleased with the 572 , don't sweat its weight . I carried my 576 xp around for 3 yrs and I'am almost 70 , the 661 is no light weight lol that you already have. ;)

I ordered a...

Thanks again!

I ordered a...

Thanks again!
Congrats! NOT a heavy saw, don’t get that stuck in your head while using it. Just heavier than a 462, but I think it’s built tougher for fleet use and that’s the extra ounces right there in durability. Plus, when it comes to weight comparisons we’re seriously splitting hairs most of the time anyway.

Enjoy the new saw.

A little late to the party but you won’t regret the 572! Mine balances perfectly with the 28” husky lite bar and pulls hard through everything I have around here. Sips about half the fuel of my ported big bore 372xp kit saw, but will keep up with it until you get into the bigger wood. Keep us posted on your first impressions!

Also don’t worry so much about the weight, even with west coast dogs and a full wrap it feels much lighter than a 661cm when you’re using it

Not Stihl the company. But I can buy pretty much any part or tool from a decent online shop. Except the diagnostic tools for the electronic carbs, I guess. I never tried.
You may get the diagnostic tool but wont get access to use it. To me and many others, auto tune or whatever has not been a good move. There is no way I am taking my saw to a dealer to pug in and charge me £70 for it and anything else he can add on. I have been doing my own and others saws for 40+ years and not going to change now.

I needed another feeling saw to replace my old CS670 (spare now 27-inch bar) with the 500I which I run a 30-inch bar on. Bottom line after running it for a month and 4 gallons of fuel cutting dead live oaks some 150 years old that decline got at the ranch the way it cuts reminds me of my old 298XP but is much lighter and much easier to start lol....

You may get the diagnostic tool but wont get access to use it. To me and many others, auto tune or whatever has not been a good move. There is no way I am taking my saw to a dealer to pug in and charge me £70 for it and anything else he can add on. I have been doing my own and others saws for 40+ years and not going to change now.
If any of the current "right to repair" lawsuits go through, it won't be long till stihl and other manufacturers have to release a version to the public. May not be the flash yoir stuff version, but basic diagnostics like an obd2 set up. Really though the autotune/mtronic systems are pretty robust.

Back