A MS440 ported from the factory???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
This building a saw for fuel efficiency has always confused me. It seems to me that if a saw requires a certain amount of fuel to be tuned correctly, then the same saw requiring less fuel is making less power. So isn't it just a matter of making a less powerful saw?

I don't know, but have heard it lots. Yes its quite obvious it takes fuel to make power. Think about it though, your getting dropped off on the side of a mountain, how much fuel do you think you can carry around all day?

Did ya ever watch the show Heli logging? See those small metal canisters on their waste, that's fuel and oil, but they are also running 200T's allot.

Beer Gut

Beer Gut

A Fine Pilsner
I don't know, but have heard it lots. Yes its quite obvious it takes fuel to make power. Think about it though, your getting dropped off on the side of a mountain, how much fuel do you think you can carry around all day?

Did ya ever watch the show Heli logging? See those small metal canisters on their waste, that's fuel and oil, but they are also running 200T's allot.

Well have the Heli. drop off a gas can or 2 :hmm3grin2orange:

tlandrum

tlandrum

dealer,saw builder
you cant always build for all out performance. you have to build the saw to suit the end user .if your a fly in logger than a mild port job thats not a big fuel user would better suit your job. if your like me and can tell my skidder operator to refill my jerry can while hes at the landing then its not a concern.

Dennis Cahoon

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
You clowns!.....this has been standard saw building for worksaws around my area for years. Did you even listen to what he said about the 056 piston? It doesn't suprize me a bit that this all seems "New & Kool to the chainsaw nerds here.......Hahahahahahaha!

Last edited:
Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
The 066 transfers are not the same as a husky. I think the key way about .060 are so.

066 stihl

Oh, I know they're not the same, but Stihl closed port cylinders can be blended from the bottom of the factory opening to the case. The 044 jug I have here at the desk has 7.5mm of material between the bottom of the transfer to the base.

Some don't like blending that area, I've always had good luck doing it for flow. I tried something a little different on my 038 super though, by blending the bottom in a funnel shape.

Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
You clowns!.....this has been standard saw building for worksaws around my area for years. Did you even listen to what he said about the 056 piston? It doesn't suprize me a bit that this all seems "New & Kool to the chainsaw nerds here.......Hahahahahahaha!

We know you're the Grand Wizard of saw building, but some people didn't pop out of the womb with a chainsaw in their hands like you.

Give people some room to learn without cutting them down dude.

Oh, and Hahahahahahahahahaha

komatsuvarna

komatsuvarna

Arboristsite MVP
Have you ever shared this with AS before? Maybe that's why it's new.

Not really new, just not mentioned much I guess. Ive read and herd about it a time or 2 before. I think JJ has built a few as well. They make more of a torquey milling saw than a high winding tree dropper ,,,,so I was told anyway...........

064AV

064AV

ArboristSite Operative
subscribing. I am curious about variations in ignitions but don't really have an intelligent question yet :msp_unsure:

066 stihl

066 stihl

ArboristSite Operative
Hey Dennis

Still racing saws? I see you still like to play on AS........ I quit racing a few years ago. Hey, what about your side kick, he still racing and building chains?

066 stihl

Dennis Cahoon

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
We know you're the Grand Wizard of saw building, but some people didn't pop out of the womb with a chainsaw in their hands like you.

Give people some room to learn without cutting them down dude.

......maybe you should pull your head out of the womb!......you seem to be having a hard time keeping up......Hahahahahahaha!

Like I've said several times before......the 056 domed piston was used long ago for making a pop-up piston. The original reason was racing rules were limiting the use of a cut off head. So.......without removing the integral head you cut a pop-up on the dome gaining more height than a flat top. Works real good for that application when running alkie, and needing very high compression.......but!......for the regular worksaw, IMO, pop-up pistons are not needed, you can get all the compression you need for running pump gas.

Dennis Cahoon

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey Dennis

Still racing saws? I see you still like to play on AS........ I quit racing a few years ago. Hey, what about your side kick, he still racing and building chains?

066 stihl

Hi Ricky!.....Yep! I still race 4 or 5 times a year. Building bikesaws and sponsoring a few of the STS boys mostly. Tommy gave it up too.

Dennis Cahoon

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
I fail to see what's so special??? I've done piston swaps myself a few times, as well as talked about it here many times??? Am I missing something?

Me either!......Who hasn't seen ports done like what was posted..........I think Brad is just being a hater today......Hahahahahahaha!

Last edited:

Latest posts