A MS440 ported from the factory???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some coils just make a saw run better. I guess, a hotter spark. Try 4 or 5 coils on the same saw.

When racing saws, you look at everything, trying to get faster.

066 stihl

Wade

What about the shop, down the road from you?

066 stihl
I don't know. They don't seem to do any local one-off work. I think they're ultra precision production (EDM's and all) and big-time custom folks. Never heard of anyone 'round here ever getting anything done there. I have a "bro" with a screw machine shop in Morrison, he might make room for me. The guys where I could walk in and "get on" their machines--went out of Biz.

My other "bro" has a mill and lathe and no electricity in his shop yet...and no time soon. I like making metal chips as much as wood chips...but no access.

If i keep waiting on me to get my stuff together, it's going to be all year. So I'm thinking of slapping it together and running it for a while. I want to carve 'em all up. Just too much other to do--like make a square grinding machine. i need one and it just ain't that complicated-that's my next fabrication project. money is just too tight to drop 400 on a used one. Don't need machine tools for that.

Dang--there went the rest of my secrets.

The way this was "talked up" I was ready to put on the RayBans to look at the polish on these ports. After seeing them I am "underwhelmed", to me this is the minimum they should be taken to to achieve "exhalted" status . Aren't all the paid porters working to this minimum standard ????
Now, where are the timing #'s ??

Steve

Oh yeah, I'm not knocking his work, just wondering what the "hoopla" was about .

Steve

LOL.Ya, it was nice clean work. I've seen some pretty half ass'd stuff too. I had a walkers 394 here for a while, wasn't impressed at all.

This was the point I was making earlier :dizzy:

Steve

re fuel

power is required to do work.

more power via more fuel does _same_ work faster. It's not like an automobile where speed automatically reduces efficiency (aerodynamics yo).

X gallons of mix cuts Y trees, but does it faster in more powerful saw-- from where i sit anyhoo. IF you needed to take in more fuel, you'd wind up with more cutting done at the end of the day.

on edit: and methinks the whole point of ported working saws is to be able to tote an 80cc saw with 100cc's of bite...vs lugging a 100cc (or pick your numbers) saw all day.

wp

=parrisw;3387008]Do you log in close proximity to fuel?

Out here on the West Coast, Timber Cutters must carry everything in and out most of the time, or get dropped off on the side of a mountain via Helicopter, and that means having a somewhat fuel efficient saw, now I've build a few saws that were very thirsty and would not want to pack in on my back that amount of fuel it would take to feed that saw for a day of cutting.

Last edited:
Every use C.C. Specialty for porting tools? Be sure to try, the rubber abrasives bullets, they work good.

066 stihl

c and c made right here in tn. nice but pricey for guys that are doing it as a hobby.

Fuel thing caught my eye. I've had a few saws that ran awfull nice, but sucked way too much gas. I'd rather have a little less power than be hiking for my jugs all day. Equals out in the end I guess, but less hiking is better. Can get to be a real pain in the ass on heli/excaline blocks, where you've got a pretty good hike just to get started. I kind of stress that to the guys that do my saws, and they do a pretty good job of balancing things out. Just something to think about when porting a saw for customers. End use seems to kind of go by the wayside sometimes - Sam

You get what you pay for.........They are cheap, for a logger making big money. Yes, it cost to port saws.

066 stihl

Ricky sent me some pics taken with his phone of his 372 worksaw. Here they are

attachment.php

attachment.php

You get what you pay for.........They are cheap, for a logger making big money. Yes, it cost to port saws.

066 stihl

you must be gettng better scale and grade on your stuff than i am. i thought you were cutting for cunningham.little bobby paying that good?

Anyone remember Fred?

[video=youtube;Kfg-uYqw_EM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfg-uYqw_EM[/video]

Latest posts

Back