A Saw is good for how many hrs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
04ultra said:
Dont worry Tom it will be sold for a couple cases of beer...Lake was on the number with this..:laugh: :laugh:

Hahaha, we shall see. If he grows up to be a fine outstanding man likem his grandpaw he'll drink Folgers,hehe

Lakeside53 said:
Compression.... and it may last forever with limited use! The 048 is an overbuilt monster... Never have seen a bad cylinder in one of those!

What about the 042? Overbuilt Monster? What are/were common problems with the 042/048 saws? I just picked up a very clean 042 with a scored piston for $60. I have not tore it down yet, but I would assume that I can save the cylinder with some muratic acid.

I only have experiance with 1 048 and its been at the state tree nursery since new. It has seen a lot of use and abuse from employees and careless prison inmates . I cut several cords of wood with it myself and would have to say it is a solid very well made saw. The only repair done to this saw I am aware of is bars and chain. I personally like this design better then the 056. The air filter seems to take less maintnence.

Cash. Yep, I wish I had another one like it! Probably won't for some time to come, I suspect.

bump_r said:
Funny you should mention that, Andy. Handing the thing off to my son was on my mind from the get-go. Matter of fact, picking up the 460 was our first father and son (without mommy) adventure. Here he is on the dealer's floor trying to start it. Good thing it had the comp release feature! BTW, we picked it up march 25 of this year. I gotta run some fuel through it soon, it's starting to like living the life of one of THall's saws!

ms460032506smallju2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Behind me you can see (sort of) the dual-port muffler cover, spare 28" RS chain, dual-spike/chain catcher (got the wrong one DANG!), and fresh jug-o-bar oil. Now THAT trip hurt by beer money reserves! I gotta get the correct spike/catcher for the 460 and figure a way to mount my current 361-spec one on the 170. HA!

I hear ya. I'm stuck on Shell or Marathon premium gasoline and Stihl mix and bar oils. I have no desire to experiment with either - what I have works, and I'd never run enough to find "the ultimate".

Aside from anecdotal "evidence", I see no end-user being able to determine what oil is better than any others. Who runs enough saws with a large enough sample size in controlled conditions, with a documented set of oils AND collect the required objective measurements to ever statistacally/scientifically make that call? No one that is trying to put bread on the table by using the saw. Thus, I'll leave that research to the pros and trust their recommendations. If I ever find the same oils avaailable in cheaper non-orange bottles, well, that's a different story!

I notice he is safety minded and doesn't drop start the saws, good stuff.

My son is about a year older but loves anything with a motor.

Thanks for the pic.

Latest posts

Back