A (sort of) Simple Plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woody your not that far away dayumm your ole hide. I'll meet ya half way and drive ya to the shop, fair deal?

Thats fair enough. However I'll have to wait a while before I can drive any distance. I unfortunately had to stop by the local Jonsered dealer today. Rear is pretty sore right now (he just got the new boots in stock, felt pretty hard). Guess I'll be sleeping on my stomach tonight.

You guys have to be kidding ! Unreal . Your saying a dealer ANYDEALER needs what 2 , 3 ,4 , 5 chances ? O' yeah lets see ... go to the dealer with the $$ and buy a saw , Not the proper help and guidence from the dealer as mentioned, saw craps out for what ever reasion day one, dealer dont want to deal with you now , you have to write a letter , you have to make a phone call , you have to flip over backwards , you have to go to another dealer , you have to go to a different state , you have to research 1000 dealers around you . knock on everybodys door in the neighborhood that has delt with that dealer to see if he is a good one . You have to fly over seas to the main plant . Any thing else a buyer has to do to get good service or its the buyers fault? Come on guys ..... your dreaming ! Its not going to happen and it should not have to happen. You have to give the seller / dealer and the company 20 chances to make good and or to find a good one. NOW YOU GUYS ARE GOING REAL THICK HERE ON THIS ONE.

That's funny. Why should I call Stihl and 'complain'? What will that get me? Absolutely nothing. What is my motivation to cause trouble for the idiot salesman and/or the dealer? If they want to run their business like that then that is their business....at least that's the way it goes here in California. And what is Stihl going to do anyways, send me a Stihl hat like Husky did in that one other post? No thanks....it's not worth the hassle.

I got my money back. And I could give a rat's arse about Stihl or that dealership. And you're damn right....if they ever want to see me walk through a Stihl dealers door (or change my opinion of Stihl) then that will take a free saw for me to try out, because I sure as hell won't be purchasing one anytime soon from Stihl.

The original post was made to warn people about what happened at a Stihl dealership. It wouldn't matter if it was Husky, or Echo, or Poulan....I still would have warned people of that kind of dealership treatment. It happened to be a Stihl dealership...that's what the real rub is around here. If I was relating the same negative experience regarding a Home Depot or a Poulan dealership, (or a 'box store') you would have been all over it like flies on dung.

Don't shoot the messenger for delivering the bad news that all is not well in Stihl-land. It's somewhat ironic that now you're making me out to be the 'bad guy' simply because I could care less what Stihl does about it. You're the Stihl dealer...you're the one who should care, not me. Again....I got my money back in the end, and that's all I was looking for.

And as I said...if Stihl is really interested in contacting me and asking questions, then my email address is right there. Whether they do or not makes no difference to me.

coveredinsap said:
I got my money back. And I could give a rat's arse about Stihl or that dealership. And you're damn right....if they ever want to see me walk through a Stihl dealers door (or change my opinion of Stihl) then that will take a free saw for me to try out, because I sure as hell won't be purchasing one anytime soon from Stihl.
Now you're being unreasonable. You absolutely do not have to call Stihl and complain, but you don't really have a right to complain about Stihl if you refuse to allow them the least chance to take care of this dealer. Believe me, companies take customer feedback very seriously, and if you address this with Stihl they will most certainly address your concerns. You now sound as if you will not be happy unless you have something to ????? about. In fact, you sound as if you'd be upset if Stihl addressed this problem because then you wouldn't have a story to tell. I've dealt with customers like you. I'm very sorry I sided with you earlier. Too bad you couldn't keep the level head your initial post implied.

spacemule said:
Now you're being unreasonable. You absolutely do not have to call Stihl and complain, but you don't really have a right to complain about Stihl if you refuse to allow them the least chance to take care of this dealer. Believe me, companies take customer feedback very seriously, and if you address this with Stihl they will most certainly address your concerns. You now sound as if you will not be happy unless you have something to ????? about. In fact, you sound as if you'd be upset if Stihl addressed this problem because then you wouldn't have a story to tell. I've dealt with customers like you. I'm very sorry I sided with you earlier. Too bad you couldn't keep the level head your initial post implied.
The guy got his money back after the deal went south . He then took his hard earned money and went down and bought a different brand chainsaw . I;m sure he dont want to buy another Stihl after what happened even at a discount. So what should the guy do ? Taking a letter from Stihl with an apolige would be fine but dont think he is going to take back the other brand saw so he can buy the first one so Stihl can make things right. Really . what would u do after you got your money back from the first brand and took the money and bought a different brand ? What ever brand it may be that had the probelm in the first place. If you had the same problem a a new truck and ended up getting your money back because of problems that would not be fixed after 50 miles / dealer didnt want to mess with you and you went out and bought the other brand .....Ya going to take back the second truck to give the first company a second chance? Come on .

THALL10326 said:
Timber my friend relax. Time the real Coveredinsap got EXPOSED once and for all. I e-mailed him and told him how terrible he had been treated and also told him I wanted the dealers name. He sent me the name. I e-mailed him back and told him I was going to do some calling on his behalf. Today I did just that. I made some calls and got a number for him to call and sent it to him. The number was to file the compalint with Stihl about that dealer. The purpose was to make sure others weren't treated as he was at that dealer, something positive. I thought his complaint was about the treatment he got from the dealer. That was untill I got home tonight and saw his posts bashing not only the dealer but the saw (piece of crap). To my surprize I recieve a e-mail back from Coveredinsap saying in so many words he's no longer interested in contacting Stihl over his bad ordeal. He went on to say if they want they can contact me. Then he says he's going to tell his story as long as someone wants to hear it. In this e-mail though is one more interesting line. quote "untill such time Stihl see's fit to give me a free saw in an attempt to change my opion, I'll hold them and their product in low regard, thats just the way the cookie crumbles" unquote.
I think that quote pretty well explains alot about what really took place at the dealership, what all the bashing is really about and what kind of person Coverdinsap really is. I have no clue who he thinks he is but I can assure you he's not the type of customer any company needs. He had no intent of doing anything positive about what happened at the dealer even after I tried to help him in doing so. After reading his e-mail I hold him in low regard, thats just the way the cookie crumbles..................
Would it be possible to get the dealer to come on here and post? I'd love to hear his side of the story now. Note that the lady customer in the initial post said she'd never had any problems with the dealer, by sap's own words.

Rspike said:
The guy got his money back after the deal went south . He then took his hard earned money and went down and bought a different brand chainsaw . I;m sure he dont want to buy another Stihl after what happened even at a discount. So what should the guy do ? Taking a letter from Stihl with an apolige would be fine but dont think he is going to take back the other brand saw so he can buy the first one so Stihl can make things right. Really . what would u do after you got your money back from the first brand and took the money and bought a different brand ? What ever brand it may be that had the probelm in the first place. If you had the same problem a a new truck and ended up getting your money back because of problems that would not be fixed after 50 miles / dealer didnt want to mess with you and you went out and bought the other brand .....Ya going to take back the second truck to give the first company a second chance? Come on .
No one is saying he should buy Stihl again, just that he should make an effort to inform them of this problem before he condemns the company to everyone. If he doesn't want to deal with it, he should not be badmouthing them, since they have no knowledge of what happened. That is not unreasonable.

Huh? It's now somehow my responsibility to regulate how Stihl runs it's dealerships? That's priceless.

Stihl reads this forum...let them take the initiative if they're really interested in sorting out their dealerships. I've got better things to do....like milling cedar.

Go ahead, call the dealer up. Ask him why he red-lines the new saws contrary to the owner's manual while you're at it too.

spacemule said:
No one is saying he should buy Stihl again, just that he should make an effort to inform them of this problem before he condemns the company to everyone. If he doesn't want to deal with it, he should not be badmouthing them, since they have no knowledge of what happened. That is not unreasonable.
Your correct ... not unreasonable . but now not his problem. "I" dont think the effort is worth it. I didnt call Stihl about my local 3 dealers and the issues i had ,I just bought the other brand and have been happy ever sence. If a company has problems then its there problem and will come back and bite them one day. Its not the buyers job to fix the company. Its the companys job to make sure its always done right. This guy is not customer service , he is the buyer. The company droped the ball so then buyers are going to go else ware. I dont have time to babysit the people/sellers i buy from do you ?

coveredinsap said:
Huh? It's now somehow my responsibility to regulate how Stihl runs it's dealerships? That's priceless.

Stihl reads this forum...let them take the initiative if they're really interested in sorting out their dealerships. I've got better things to do....like milling cedar.
No, it's not your responsibility to regulate Stihl. However, if you're going to bash someone, it is ethical to make sure they know why you're bashing them. How in the hell is Stihl going to know which dealer this is by reading this thread? Do you really think they go around reading every internet forum and then cross referencing which dealer goes with which post? Give me a f'n break. Your motivation is to hurt Stihl, which has become transparent the more you post. You don't care about getting things fixed, you care about b'ching and moaning. If I were the dealer, I would have physically removed you from my store and threw the saw after you, with the attitude you have. You've got no right to complain.

Rspike said:
Your correct ... not unreasonable . but now not his problem. "I" dont think the effort is worth it. I didnt call Stihl about my local 3 dealers and the issues i had ,I just bought the other brand and have been happy ever sence. If a company has problems then its there problem and will come back and bite them one day. Its not the buyers job to fix the company. Its the companys job to make sure its always done right. This guy is not customer service , he is the buyer. The company droped the ball so then buyers are going to go else ware. I dont have time to babysit the people/sellers i buy from do you ?
You're absolutely right, but he's coming here bashing the entire company without making an honest effort to inform them of his complaints. If you don't inform the company, you've no right to complain. It reveals an attitude of b'ching for b'ching's sake. It's similar to complaining about this country but not voting in the elections, or talking behind someone's back. It's childish and slanderous.
Like I said, he would be upset if Stihl did reprimand this dealer and offered him a free saw. He would still b and moan. Do you disagree?

I bought a 017 from a Stihl dealer, and told him what I was going to use the saw for. The trigger assembly broke and when I carried it back, he would not honor the warranty- it broke 5 days from purchase. Went to another dealer and they fixed it-9.20 in parts. Been using him ever since. Good sales rep and service also. The question I have, is the 044 that I have going to be okay to run the Alaskan mill that I have, with the ripping chain? Going to be cutting pine into beams for a guy to replace in his cabin- trees were dying from fire damage.

doggonetrees said:
I bought a 017 from a Stihl dealer, and told him what I was going to use the saw for. The trigger assembly broke and when I carried it back, he would not honor the warranty- it broke 5 days from purchase. Went to another dealer and they fixed it-9.20 in parts. Been using him ever since. Good sales rep and service also. The question I have, is the 044 that I have going to be okay to run the Alaskan mill that I have, with the ripping chain? Going to be cutting pine into beams for a guy to replace in his cabin- trees were dying from fire damage.

Exactly, if your dealer is no good, find a new one, don't start badmouthing the product, while doing nothing to rectify the problem.

What size logs are you planning to mill? The 044 should be fine, so long as the wood size is reasonable, and you're not trying to push it. Tune it on the rich side, let the saw do the work and don't push it, and it will likely be fine.

TimberPig said:
Exactly, if your dealer is no good, find a new one, don't start badmouthing the product, while doing nothing to rectify the problem

I think that was covered already by many here, and I totally agree, but sometimes it is just better to walk away and find something else. I also feel that there was a problem with the product, which in my meagre opinion was the origional reason for this thread. I wasn't really the 'product' but that particular saw and that particular sales rep., maybe not even the dealership as some also stated. In the same given situation I'd be PO'd too, for some time is of the essence and to keep flogging it ain't worth the stress. I would however have dropped a we note to the manufacturer and expressed my displeasure, give 'em a heads up on it. Some times it doesn't take a lot to ruin a good product's reputation because of stuff like this, a shame really as my other post in this thread stated.
My Saturday morning 0.02$ worth.

Spacemule, I have a couple of rabid racoons and a wild orange cat I'd love to have that AR, or you could visit, bbq on me mon lol, (oregano cat, deepfried 'coon, taters, beer battered squash...whatever. :) )

The logs are for an organic gardenerh he has a log cabin that he's using for a plant hardening off area. The trees are approximately 36" pines. He only needs one beam, but the beam has to be 32' long, 10 1/2" wide by 10 1/2" wide. Should be interesting challenge to get the beam to him.

TimberPig said:
Exactly, if your dealer is no good, find a new one, don't start badmouthing the product, while doing nothing to rectify the problem.

Am I missing something here? Wasn't the whole problem started with bad product? If the product has had held up then the dealer being poor wouldn't have mattered.

While arguably a 390 with its plastic chasis would not hold for constant milling you would think that it should have been able to do one tree.

Interesting to read this thread as my opinion is that the fellow got a bad saw from a bad dealer and related his experience in what I thought was a very fair well written post.

What has happened afterwords is what is interesting. If you follow this thread from its beggining is that he has been attacked by the Stihl fanatics and as this has happened he has gotten more defensive in his posts. That is human nature. I believe that this has only caused him to increase his negative feelings towards Stihl.

His point is that he bought a Stihl based on reputation, got burnt and feels wronged. An phone call or email to Stihl would have been the appropriate first response but when we feel wronged and are pi$$ed we don't always do the right thing.

To the Stihl fanatics I say realize that Stihl dealerships are no better than any others. I have to say the Stihl dealerships here are not great, certainly no better than any of their competitors. One would not even price or bring in a 660 and I quote "We don't sell that saw"(Large recreational vehicle dealership).

Stihl has actively enrolled all the rental shops that they can as Stihl dealers. Most don't even return phone calls.

I have Stihl saws because of the product certainly not because of the dealerships.

coveredinsap said:
Go ahead, call the dealer up. Ask him why he red-lines the new saws contrary to the owner's manual while you're at it too.

Now your just showing your ignorance [again]. The owners manual is for the owners. Just like the Ford or Chevy owners manual is for the owners... Stihl "red-lines" their saw at the factory before shipment, and the dealers check the high end running ("red-line") again before sending them out to the customer. I do on every saw I sell. It's part of the pre-sales check. There's a big difference between an experienced dealer/tech/whatever, than a homeowner screaming the saw out of the wood.

...and yes, you should write to Stihl... or find another site to garner attention.

Give it up, you're busted... :deadhorse:

TreeCo said:
This guy probably didn't even buy a Stihl chain saw in the first place and is just here to bash Stihl.

I think it's [insert name of your favorite infamous banned AS member] :) just another way to get attention :clap:

Or, maybe he deliberately broke the tank to find a reason...

Latest posts

Back