A Tale of Three Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give her a few more RPMs. Also use the exact same bar and chain next time. You can clearly hear the modded 660 is turning more RPMs in the cut. Why the times don't show more difference is odd.

Ha there Brad,you build this thing so you know what it can do and i will add a bit more rpms another day,thats how it came from Matt and i didnt wont to much with how he had it set up.
Im about to put up another vid made on the same day but with harder wood.
All chains came off the same roll and hav'nt been touched.The bars are the same but the one on the modded saw is newer.

I agree Will. In my experience with stock raker heights there is only so much pushing you can do. There reaches a point where it simply won't cut faster - it also depends a lot on the wood you're cutting. Once you start playing with angles and raker height is where you start to notice the torque - the torquier saws won't bog and will hold their revs.

Matt if the modded saw didnt bog in andrews video I would believe this statement but it "quite obvious it did". The only way to know what you truly have is to run it against a stock saw that always tells the tail ! Something that most rarely do most just fall into the hype of ported saws.
Like I've said before power is power as long as your testing in the same wood you can't get a better dyno.
If you have to run a special chain to find a woods saws "power" then its not much of a work saw, Thats something you have to do with r@cesaws becuse they have more of a narrow powerband and Higher RPM. More fuel = more tourque !

Ok guys another vid,this time the only differance to the last vid is the wood is half dry (was cut last year in Aug) Spotted Gum.
First two cuts was stock 660.

[video=youtube;DJcmzgcVlJY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJcmzgcVlJY&nofeather=True[/video]

Matt if the modded saw didnt bog in andrews video I would believe this statement but it "quite obvious it did". The only way to know what you truly have is to run it against a stock saw that always tells the tail ! Something that most rarely do most just fall into the hype of ported saws.
Like I've said before power is power as long as your testing in the same wood you can't get a better dyno.
If you have to run a special chain to find a woods saws "power" then its not much of a work saw, Thats something you have to do with r@cesaws becuse they have more of a narrow powerband and Higher RPM. More fuel = more tourque !

Eric I'm no expert but the more you push on a saw the more friction is produced from other parts of the cutter including the tie straps on the bar etc. If a saw "bogs" more it doesn't always mean that it's the cutters in the wood that's loading it up. I've even had saws load up more due to bad nose sprockets or chain tension.
I can tell you now that even stock saws with out of the box chain perform far better with the rakers dropped and I can say that with a lot of confidence, from my stock 200T with 3/8"LP right up to my 3120 with .404" - from what I gather you are saying that with the same chain setup you have to simply push harder to get it to cut better? I'd rather not push my work saws through the cut all day, my forearms would rather see the chain do more of the work - the LAST thing I want to do is equate faster cutting to harder pushing. In fact if I grab a stock chain now and go felling with it I actually think it's slow despite the saw revving faster which may give the impression it's cutting faster - the only benefit I see to stock raker height under most conditions is less vibrations but to me that's not a biggy. The last modded 660 I had (which had nowhere near the grunt of this thing by the way - it was ported but with lower compression) was sold to a mate with a similar tree/chainsaw business to mine. He sold his stock 660 (and his 880) and bought that particular saw. He said it crapped all over the stock 660 he owned and he doesn't do anything outside the ordinary when sharpening - just Carlton 3/8" semi chisel and a File-O-Plate.
If more fuel = more torque then unless I have a leak this thing has heaps of torque :) It's an absolute pig on fuel!

By the way, I'm no idiot and being heavily involved with car modifications over the years I'm well aware that just grabbing a ported saw and "assuming" it will thump a stock saw is wrong - although I know your comment on comparing stock and modded saws may not have been only directed at me. Quite often just the sound of the exhaust will make people think it has more power when dyno testing will prove it hasn't, in fact sometimes even less. Andrew also told me via email that the modded 660 was pulling nearly 2000 more rpm in the cut compared to his stock 660 (they're both fitted with tachos). Why they then pulled similar cut times is beyond me - maybe they weren't loaded the same?
I ran 3 Dolmar/Makita saws side by side in all sorts of stock and modified configurations when felling 1000's of trees from small to large. I don't assume anything when it comes to grunt and modifications. I've seen hype surrounding car mods that don't deliver and I'm well aware the same thing happens with saws.
When I say that this particular 660 is right up the hammer of my 3120 with bars up to 32" I'm not joking (I didn't run bars over 32" on the 660 and never planned to). Unless of course a stock 660 is close to my Aussie delivered 3120 - if it is then we have a problem :cheers:

In summary I can assure you that the modded saw in the video has quite a bit more poke that the stocker, despite the video not necessarily proving that.

Last edited:
Ha there Brad,you build this thing so you know what it can do and i will add a bit more rpms another day,thats how it came from Matt and i didnt wont to much with how he had it set up.
Im about to put up another vid made on the same day but with harder wood.
All chains came off the same roll and hav'nt been touched.The bars are the same but the one on the modded saw is newer.

As mentioned before I sent it mate the H screw had been moving so I don't know how it was originally set up. I found with the 32" bar, 8 pin, and semi chisel chain I was running that there wasn't really a difference in noticable power between 13,800 and 14,000rpm. I set it at 13,800rpm as I do tend to like my saws running on the richer side without being too stupid. When it was leaning out too much prior to me fixing it the saw started to noticably bog more and lose power the leaner it got.

Matt not saying you should have to push harder... I'm saying if you have more "power" you should be able to push harder, its not that hard to grasp.. A higher RPM saw should cut faster "IF" it will hold the RPMs.
Maybe you should run your stock 3120 aginst a 660.. A stock 3120 is not that impressive I have had a few, on the other hand a 660 is quite impressive rite out of the box IMO, perhaps the most impressive saw Stihl has ever made "IMO".

If you notice in the last video Andrew posted hes not leaning on the modded 660 near as hard, I havent timed it but it looks and sounds a whole lot better :msp_wink:

Ya it does run nice were its set at the moment and being a work saw we wont it last awhile.
I have been thinking about the fuel use differance and i have came up with a way to test the dif between them,im working on it.
Im going to 36''s on them to soon when i find a good size bit of wood.

Matt not saying you should have to push harder... I'm saying if you have more "power" you should be able to push harder, its not that hard to grasp.. A higher RPM saw should cut faster "IF" it will hold the RPMs.

Sorry I misunderstood and agree with you there.

Maybe you should run your stock 3120 aginst a 660.. A stock 3120 is not that impressive I have had a few, on the other hand a 660 is quite impressive rite out of the box IMO, perhaps the most impressive saw Stihl has ever made "IMO".

I've run it against a stock 880 and there was nothing in it, unless of course you don't think stock 880's are that special? Also remember there is a difference between the US and Aussie delivered 3120's (and 880's from memory?), just like there is a difference between the Aussie delivered 660's and the US delivered ones. The Aussie delivered 3120's have a 12,000-12,500rpm rev limit. I think the more modern US delivered 3120's have a 9,800 odd rpm limit. Considering a 3120 with normal bar length will pull more than 9,800rpm in the cut that's a stupid rev limit!

If you notice in the last video Andrew posted hes not leaning on the modded 660 near as hard, I havent timed it but it looks and sounds a whole lot better :msp_wink:

Yeah I haven't timed it either but it does look to have cut a lot faster in that wood in that video :cheers:

Last edited:
Ya it does run nice were its set at the moment and being a work saw we wont it last awhile.
I have been thinking about the fuel use differance and i have came up with a way to test the dif between them,im working on it.
Im going to 36''s on them to soon when i find a good size bit of wood.

If a stock 660 chews the same amount of fuel as this thing no forestry worker on earth could afford to run one ;) Not only that but they'd need a pack mule to carry the fuel...

Here are the times I got for the 2nd video.

Stock 21.90

Modded 20.62= 5.62% gain
19.00= 11.87% gain

In the end this is the sort of work this saw is going to have to do week in and week out for a few months a year.
You will see in the first vid is where ya need the torque in that stringbark sh_t.

[video=youtube;qKoWKH1djno]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKoWKH1djno[/video]

[video=youtube;iCdG368s-0M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCdG368s-0M[/video]

:biggrin:

Last edited:
In the end this is the sort of work this saw is going to have to do week in and week out for a few months a year.
You will see in the first vid is where ya need the torque in that stringbark sh_t.

I love the "gently gently" approach in the Spotted Gum video as you get to the bottom of the cut. Can't half tell you hate getting blunt chains from sticking them in the dirt! (and that you've done that a lot!). I'm the same, I always back off near the end and am surprised how many guys just run full noise out the bottom then dig it into the dirt :)

WTH kind of wood is that stringy bark?

Heh heh Frank - brace yourself. Imagine a pretty hard log encased in tampons and rope. The fibres even fold themselves around the fronts of the cutters and next thing you know the saw is bouncing off the limiter (if it's got one!) and not cutting. You have to back it out of the cut then drive it on in again to clear the fibres. It also has some gnarly sap pockets that set like concrete on your bar and chains. I've had to even crack a chain out the bar with my scrench after the sap cooled and set like epoxy. The saw didn't have a hope of spinning it.

Heh heh Frank - brace yourself. Imagine a pretty hard log encased in tampons and rope. The fibres even fold themselves around the fronts of the cutters and next thing you know the saw is bouncing off the limiter (if it's got one!) and not cutting. You have to back it out of the cut then drive it on in again to clear the fibres. It also has some gnarly sap pockets that set like concrete on your bar and chains. I've had to even crack a chain out the bar with my scrench after the sap cooled and set like epoxy. The saw didn't have a hope of spinning it.

Ya i said all that Matt when i said Stringbark sh_t............

I've had the chain that jammed up on the bar it would not turn and I've had to remove it for a clean out. Not much better in peppermint.

I've had the chain that jammed up on the bar it would not turn and I've had to remove it for a clean out. Not much better in peppermint.

Yeah I've only ever cut a few Peppermints down in Tasmania but did notice they have a fair bit of sap :)

Its funny how the sh_t happens to all of us.

Maybe all Aussie wood is just shut? (New Zealand for Sh*t)...

Latest posts

Back