A Tale of Three Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Andrew, you'll love this vid mate. I was dropping a Stringybark in Tassie with the 3120 when I came across this. It was only a few cuts into my first ever Stringybark (about a 4 foot mongrel at the bottom that split into about 4 trunks) and I called over the missus to film it. The impression that Stringybark left on me (and my saw, bars, and chains) will haunt me forever. It will give some guys an idea as to why this shut is hard to cut. The bark here is about 2" thick - remember tampons and rope...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h4eAtcGchLo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thats nothing mate ,check out this New Zealand hot springs of molten sap coming out of this stringy.
First two cuts full comp next two skip 36''chisel chain,check out the noodles at the end.

[video=youtube;v50ke7JMhvw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v50ke7JMhvw[/video]

Yeah I remember that video :) Classic! You win on the sap front...
Did your Stringybark do this to your chain though?

26042009200.jpg

Well OK, it was a steel post in the middle of that godforsaken Stringybark that did that to my new loop of Carlton .404" semi chisel. Sadly the 3120 had enough nuts to snap it clean off instead of stalling and saving the chain...

26042009201.jpg

I couldn't cut the tree down as far as I wanted due to that post. It was smack bang in the middle...

I noticed that all the busted up and broken chain is of the Carlton brand, no?

Indeed you are correct :) Nothing against Carlton though, it's what I use the most and it gets the biggest workout. Other chain brands used the same would likely fail in the same way too. I've busted cutters off of Oregon LGX and Stihl RMC before too but only when I've hit something.

Indeed you are correct :) Nothing against Carlton though, it's what I use the most and it gets the biggest workout. Other chain brands used the same would likely fail in the same way too. I've busted cutters off of Oregon LGX and Stihl RMC before too but only when I've hit something.

I've busted cutters off of both Oregon and stihl as well, but never snapped a chain in half thru the tie strap. Kinda odd to me...

I've busted cutters off of both Oregon and stihl as well, but never snapped a chain in half thru the tie strap. Kinda odd to me...

Actually it snapped about 6 off like that and many of the other cutters had big pieces of steel jammed in them from what it hit. All chains can snap like this but on .404" it probably wouldn't have broken except it had a 3120 pulling it.

You need to get that saw in some bigger wood for it to really shine. Matt, didn't you say it has compression now of around 180+ PSI? This is a work saw and was built for torque. You're simply not going to see everything it has until you really put it to work. My 440/460 would likely cut measurably faster in that wood. It simply makes a lot more RPMs.

You need to get that saw in some bigger wood for it to really shine. Matt, didn't you say it has compression now of around 180+ PSI? This is a work saw and was built for torque. You're simply not going to see everything it has until you really put it to work. My 440/460 would likely cut measurably faster in that wood. It simply makes a lot more RPMs.

Yeah it's around that compression Brad. Andrew will sort it out mate I'm sure and show some vids illustrating just how much grunt this thing has.

Yeah I got virtually the same times.

If you go by your earlier times, this is almost a 12% increase.

I find this very interesting as I am almost ready to get a 660 myself. I want to see what the gains are in big wood. Goin by the saws i have I can only expect the same gains. However, the 660 may very well be that type saw that shoots from 11% to 20% in big wood. Which, if Im not mistaken 20% is the "norm" on gains?

So let me get this rite, Your saying that a Modded saw has more torque" ("should" have I agree).
But if your trying to convince me that a modded saw wont show its power only in BIG wood I say BS!!!!!

Mostly I agree with this statement Eric, however- my 'stock' MS-880 is slower in 10" wood with the same chain as my 'stock' 440. Both saws tuned to factory specs with the same mix, new air filters, new sprockets, etc.

Mostly I agree with this statement Eric, however- my 'stock' MS-880 is slower in 10" wood with the same chain as my 'stock' 440. Both saws tuned to factory specs with the same mix, new air filters, new sprockets, etc.

JJ is that because of RPM ? or Torque ?

I can believe that, my 7900 was waaay faster than my stock 880, even with 32" bar in the same wood. However what would be the reasoning for the same displacement saw not being much better than the modded saw.

Here is an example of my stock 880 in 8x8, and then the next video showing the improvements of ported. The ported saw was alot faster in the small wood?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nwA8m8cr6Ko" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iXMCQC25JZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JJ is that because of RPM ? or Torque ?

I believe it has to do with the power band of the two motors and the RPM for which they're designed to make their power. The 880 is designed to make its power at a lower RPM and it has much more mass involved in the reciprocating assembly, clutch, clutch drum, and oil pump gears. My stock 880 turns the same RPM in the wood regardless if the wood is 10" or 40"- it's like a tractor in that respect. My 440, while fast in 10" wood, is much slower in 40" wood. All of the moving parts in the 440 are smaller and lighter so there's less inertia.

There's more to saw performance than just how much power the motor makes. This is one reason some of those earliest saws had huge, heavy flywheels.

I can believe that, my 7900 was waaay faster than my stock 880, even with 32" bar in the same wood. However what would be the reasoning for the same displacement saw not being much better than the modded saw.

Here is an example of my stock 880 in 8x8, and then the next video showing the improvements of ported. The ported saw was alot faster in the small wood?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nwA8m8cr6Ko" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iXMCQC25JZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I took the best two times from stock vs modded which were:
Stock 1.81 & Modded 1:16 = a gain of 35%.
I see your point Frank. The ported saw was a lot faster than stock.

It picked up 6-7 tenths in a 8" cut, can you imagine what it would have been in a 30" piece?

Latest posts

Back