about out of wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, here I go again. Seems to me I posted about this a year or two ago, and some of you fine fellows offered to give me free wood!! :rock:

I've got maybe a week's worth of seasoned stuff left. I knew it wasn't enough for this year, especially being mostly soft maple and poplar, but I've got probably 4 cords of oak, hickory and mulberry drying out for next year!

I might have to dig into the driest of that stuff to get me through, or maybe I'll go buy a truckload. I can fill up my 1-ton (with side rails) for about $120 from a place about 40 minutes away. Slightly more than a cord, I believe.

Or I could steal from my neighbor again. But then, I don't really have a way to pay him back, now that he has his own truck and splitter. :(

You can trade someone,maybe. A cord of non seasoned for a 3/4 cord well seasoned,or similar trade.

My first thought was that perhaps you should have been out making firewood instead of babies! :msp_scared:

But that's crazy thinking!

Too bad your so far away. No, I wouldn't give you any, but I sure would give you crap for not having enough! :D

Hope you have good luck finding some!

Ted

The squirrel works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building and improving his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks he's a fool, and laughs and dances and plays the summer away. Come winter, the squirrel is warm and well fed, the shivering grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.

yeah, i feel your pain. I keep looking at my dwindling wood pile knowing i don't have enough to make it thru winter. Im hoping i can make it thru half of February at least. Just ran out of time this year and having to haul my wood 200 miles made it a lot tougher. Next year i'll hit it hard soon as i can get back into my place up north. I wonder tho, does buying wood actually make sense? Seems to me if you have to buy a cord of wood for $150 you might as well just run the gas furnace. $150 in gas will last you longer than $150 in wood wouldn't it?

I wonder tho, does buying wood actually make sense? Seems to me if you have to buy a cord of wood for $150 you might as well just run the gas furnace. $150 in gas will last you longer than $150 in wood wouldn't it?

According to the heating cost calculators I just ran, $150 a cord firewood (using 22MBtu/cord and 70% efficient stove) = $9.74 per million btus.

In my situation, I paid $1.50/gallon when I filled the propane tank a few months back, using 78% efficiency is $28.65 per MBtu.

Yes, in this case it's quite a bit cheaper. If you change the numbers a bit to $300 a cord and a 50% efficient stove it's pretty much a wash at $27.27 per Mbtu.

Last edited:
As for you, Unc, it's time to hit the local factories, hardware stores, implement dealers, you name it for whatever scrap pallets and timbers you can find and mix em in with some greener stuff.

That and get out there and cut. We don't wanna hear it again next year. Really.

Find some Ash Unc, split it small and mix in the crating material that others have suggested, I'm in the same spot with our shop that we heat with wood, seems the guys have turned it into a weekend clubhouse of sorts when I'm not there and have depleted the wood supply, fortunately I have some ash trees I cut last year stacked as whole trees hidden in my woods, I plan on trailering them up there next week whole and presenting them with an Earthquake saw as punishment.

The squirrel works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building and improving his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks he's a fool, and laughs and dances and plays the summer away. Come winter, the squirrel is warm and well fed, the shivering grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.

Isn't that parable about a grasshopper and an ant? Not a squirrel?

Anyway, I don't cut firewood in the summer. Too hot and too much else to do.

Izz that a violin I hear playing??

I'll send you 25 cents so you can call someone that givesachit!!

:msp_biggrin:

Well, here I go again. Seems to me I posted about this a year or two ago, and some of you fine fellows offered to give me free wood!! :rock:

I've got maybe a week's worth of seasoned stuff left. I knew it wasn't enough for this year, especially being mostly soft maple and poplar, but I've got probably 4 cords of oak, hickory and mulberry drying out for next year!

I might have to dig into the driest of that stuff to get me through, or maybe I'll go buy a truckload. I can fill up my 1-ton (with side rails) for about $120 from a place about 40 minutes away. Slightly more than a cord, I believe.

Or I could steal from my neighbor again. But then, I don't really have a way to pay him back, now that he has his own truck and splitter. :(

Hmmmm...maybe spending less time in WTF and more time scrounging wood might keep your family warm?

I think we should all send Uncle firewood in one of those "if it fits it ships" boxes we could bury him in wood and anger the postman in the process, just think of the hilarious pictures of him opening dozens and dozens of boxes of wood.

Unc, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. This happened to us last winter. Ran out in Feb and had to hobble through on splits that were laid in only 4 months before. And that was all maple.

The stack we're currently on is dwindling. When I stacked it, the SheWolf thought it wouldn't be enough to get us through. I knew she was right and got close to 3 cord processed right away, supposedly for next year. But we can dig into it this year if need be. I cut it last winter.

Back