about out of wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked St Louis CL, just a quick peek for firewood under "free stuff" There's some nice scores on there to be had, depending how close you are to em, from pallets to white oak rounds, some probably needs seasoning, but far better than burning snowballs, if you can even find them after this week!

Put an ad on craigs list to sell 1 cord for $250 delivered. Buy 1 cord from your source and sell for 250. Buy another cord for $120 and burn it yourself.

I was about out of wood last week then i dropped 2 big standing deads and got a little over a 1/3 cord of good ready to burn wood.
I bought my house this summer so didnt have much time to get firewood for this year, however i already have 3 cord for next year and plan on having another 7 cord by march.

Next year i will be able to burn nothing but red oak and white oak if I want to.

FEELS GOOD MAN!:msp_biggrin:

Wish I had enough to give...It's going to be 60 degrees by the end of the week though, that should help a little. BYW- if given the choice, plug the old lady over cutting wood anyday. For me, there's plenty of time left in the day after the first chore is done.:msp_biggrin:

Buy for $120, sell for $250. What's so strange about that? :confused: Buy low, sell high, it's called commerce, happens the world over. :)

I am in a similar spot. Most all of mine was from a few years ago as we didn't burn much last year. Problem is it is like it turned into a sponge, I can't hardly get it to burn!

Just take some of next years wood that you split first and resplit it real small and put it all around woodstove. It will dry out and be pretty decent. Its not going to be 2 year old season nut it will work. Mix with some dry and you will be fine.

yeah, i feel your pain. I keep looking at my dwindling wood pile knowing i don't have enough to make it thru winter. Im hoping i can make it thru half of February at least. Just ran out of time this year and having to haul my wood 200 miles made it a lot tougher. Next year i'll hit it hard soon as i can get back into my place up north. I wonder tho, does buying wood actually make sense? Seems to me if you have to buy a cord of wood for $150 you might as well just run the gas furnace. $150 in gas will last you longer than $150 in wood wouldn't it?

200 miles?!? In wisconsin?

Just a wild thought, but I bet you could scrounge some closer somehow...and look for standing dead, or downed trees held up off the ground by their branches.

And dont forget you can burn scrounged pallets, old crates, warhouse wood that stuff gets shipped on (I forget the word though), construction scraps (not pressure treated) and so on. Branches, any old branch pile that someone didnt burn yet, milk it out. I burn tons of 1 to 3 inch diameter branches that 99% of wood burners would slap ignore as trash, they need to limb it away with their 90s.... You have to feed the stove more, I dont care, I am right in the room here with the stove.

Oh, and pine! I bet you can score all the free pine you want. Standing dead pine is about ready to go as is, keep a lot of the branches to get the splits going. And split small, stretch out your hard wood with it.

I have scrounged wood in the middle of big cities...and once, feeding a fireplace, without even having a saaw or axe, just my boots and hands. I busted the stuff to size and hauled it home by the armul every day. Theres no need to run out if you hustle. Wood is wood, the stove doesnt care, and BTUs are BTUs. Firewood doesnt have to be designer pretty wood to work.

Back in the oil crisis days, a buddy of mine was hit with whopper oil bills, huge. He reinstalled and old wood heater he had, paid me a token sum to knock down an old lean to shed, half rotten, then I cut it into manageable big pieces, some cuts, some just sledghammer bashing. . On the way home from work he would throw chunks into his pickup to take home. At home, his two boys cut those chunks up to a size to fit the stove with pawnshop circular saws. Saved his economic bacon that winter. They stayed ahead of it with zero stashed wood or even having ther stove installed before the crisis hit. All winter, in new england. Pallets and that shed is what they burnt.

edit: example, small, grabbed at random, right in the stove right now. Pics is dark but you can see the sizes. These little guys add up when you keep them! Pulled these our chunks one grab rom the pile behind the stove. Oak, BTW

attachment.php

Last edited:
HOLY CRAP UNCLE! It ain't even got cold yet!
Just exactly how much were you humpin' the little woman over the last year?

....errrrrrrrr, never mind... I guess I really don't want to know the answer to that question. :msp_tongue:

Good luck coming up with firewood... you're way to far away for me to be of any help.

not a lot of sympathy...

There are no excuses around here. If someone who is providing their own wood, runs outta wood. Either it was bitter cold or they didn't cut enough. This is where I come in. I am happy to sell them (at fair market value) a load of wood.:hmm3grin2orange:

The OP situation might be different, but the end result is the same. Get the required wood in the yard at whatever cost.

The reason you are going through it so fast is your own fault. Quit getting the house so hot and keep the little guy put away and you will be ok.:msp_wink:

Everyone is getting mad at Unc, but the blame rests with those who gave him wood last time. Darn enablers, giving a man a fish...

Mr. HE:cool:

Back