Advice Needed: What Splitter to Get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budcampo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm looking for some advice on what splitter to get. I'd like to get something that 2 guys can get around relatively easy, but also one that is tough and will split knotty pine and euc. I've been using a old home made splitter that my friend lets me use, but it's a back breaker getting into back yards etc.
I've seen some that you can do both horizontal and vertical, those look pretty sweet for getting the big diameter logs down to size.
Anyway, I know that's a little rough but if you guys have some suggestions that would be cool! Thanks!

P.S. Anybody seen a splitter with tracks, or powered wheels to get in places? Probably would cost a arm and a leg huh?

Look at the 22 ton (or larger) splitters. I have the Swisher 22 ton splitter and think it's a great little machine. I pull it around with a 4-wheeler and it does vert & horz splitting.

There are many good splitters out there and I'm sure you will get many more suggestions.

Good Luck..

Hi All,
I'm looking for some advice on what splitter to get. I'd like to get something that 2 guys can get around relatively easy, but also one that is tough and will split knotty pine and euc. I've been using a old home made splitter that my friend lets me use, but it's a back breaker getting into back yards etc.
I've seen some that you can do both horizontal and vertical, those look pretty sweet for getting the big diameter logs down to size.
Anyway, I know that's a little rough but if you guys have some suggestions that would be cool! Thanks!

P.S. Anybody seen a splitter with tracks, or powered wheels to get in places? Probably would cost a arm and a leg huh?

That is rather an open ended question, and you dont give us much to go on.How much do you want to spend?What features do you want like a log lift, tables, etc?

Most of the commercial splitters are fairly easy to move around, but the fact is, the larger you go the heavier they get.It also depends on what you call "moving around".I have a 27 ton,and its easy enough to roll around on level and hard ground, but I would hate to have to push this thing through loose dirt or up any kind of a hill.I hook mine behind a garden tractor or an atv when I pull mine from the shed out to the woodpile.But,maybe Im just lazy.

OP, give us some hints as to your price range,size of wood you are splitting,and the amount of wood you process.It would help in giving you some suggestions.

Splitter purchase

If you've got the bucks, can't go wrong with Timberwolf. Get the log lift and don't worry about vertical splitting. And it will split most anything you can get on the rail.

I have an Iron & Oak tha I like. Avalancher was right about your needing to supply more info for a specific rcomendation.

My splitting axe seems to match all the above criteria, it splits knotty pine on it's side or standing up no prob :msp_laugh:

If you are anywhere near the North East US look at the American splitters. Call and talk to Larry, the man did nothing but impress me, I just don't have the money for one, unfortunately!
Timberwolf is good. Brave is good. Iron and Oak is good. Supersplit is good. I've run the piss out of, rebuilt and run the piss out of it again with an MTD.
There are lots and lots of options, I've even looked at the Ramsplitters. Look at Log Splitters Direct - Log Splitter Superstore - Wood Splitter, Fire Wood Splitter, Wood Splitters, Log Spliters, Firewood Splitter, Log Spliter for some ideas and prices. But without knowing what you want to split and spend, it's hard to recommend much of anything!
For the larger rounds, look into "noodling", it's using the saw to half or even quarter the rounds into manageable chunks, and it's a lot faster and easier than wrestling around with the large rounds on a splitter! Trust me, I've done both ways, I'll noodle all day long!

Back