Advice on larger saw to buy to complement MS180 and MS250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetucker

Reaction score
Hey Folks.

First - thanks in advance for taking the time to answer. Here's my situation. I live on 15 acres that is almost entirely wooded. I primarily use my existing saws (MS180 w/ 16" and MS250 w/18") for cleanup purposes when trees or limbs fall. I don't do a ton of felling and the only firewood processing I do comes from said cleanup efforts. Some years are more work than others - usually I work 40 or so hours in the spring and 40 or so hours in the fall, with a couple hours here or there as needed - not all of that is spent on the saws, mind you.

I've got some money set aside and have been thinking about buying a bigger saw to use for the inevitable case of a larger tree falling (across my driveway, for example) or to be able to fell larger trees/have a little more power for firewood processing. I'm hesitant to say a 'budget' - not because the money doesn't matter, but rather I just want to buy the right tool for the job. I've never bought a higher end saw because I haven't felt like I had a use case for it, but I'd be open to it - though I don't want to spend the extra cash if it doesn't make sense. I also don't necessarily have to stick with Stihl (in fact, my local dealer is incredibly hard to deal with and generally rude - despite me spending thousands of dollars there over the last 5 years or so). I would also say that at one time I owned an MS290 and for whatever reason just didn't like it - just seemed too heavy for the power it delivered and ended up selling it on Craiglist.

Like I said, thanks in advance for the help. I'm forward to hearing some feedback.

I am not in that much different situation. 40 hours of work clearing blow downs isn't every spring but has been some springs. I do have machinery so need not cut up small to move that big one out of the driveway. I have sufficient funds to get a Husqvarna 390 but choose to make do with less. Maybe something will fall over bigger than what would be ideal for a little more speed on the firewood as you indicate. Having fuel may be more important than having a larger saw should a hurricane come by. It was actually chains (like transport chains) that I got requests to borrow last heavy weather event. Chainsaw sounds were plentiful. If you go to a 6 tooth spur sprocket and the picco chain your ms250 should be able to go into territory larger than what they come with originally.

Low Price: Echo 590
Intermediate Price: Dolmar 6100 or Husqvarna 555 or Husqvarna 365
Money, who cares?!?!: Stihl 362, Husqvarna 562

I've owned two smaller Stihls over the past 15 years always stepping up. Finally I got a 461. Wow, what a saw. Only had it for 6 months or so, so I cannot speak of the durability. Cut cutting time in half. It was hard to justify the $1000 price tag but I am definitely proud of the purchase so far.

It really doesn't make sense to me to buy a new big saw for the small amount of cutting involved but look toward a used pro saw. I have a 362XP that works great for the type of work I do, which is occasionally cutting up a few tree trunks, a 359 or 357XP also would be great for a fraction of the cost of a new saw and you wouldn't have to mess with the Stihl dealer.

MS390. Its the same saw as an MS290, but with a larger displacement cylinder...hence more power with out extra weight. Put a 24/25" bar on it and you should be good to go for a large tree! This is not a "pro" saw but the ones I have seen do run good. Since you won't be putting lots of run time on it anyway, this is what I would consider.

Latest posts

Back