Advice on small saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Netree, if there's no choker stretcher, go back and ask for the sky hook. I bet Master Blaster has one. LJS

JPS was a good moderator-when he was actually here to moderate. His last year on the masthead wasn't fair because he couldn't do the job. Russ is a good moderator-different style and a different core group. Eric, I don't know how the moderator job will play out for you. It is bound to help when we get the real boundaries figured out. In the meantime I think it would be very beneficial to us all if we would be considerate of each other and try to be cooperative.

(It currently appears as if Russ and Erik are not currently moderators.  Are they or aren't they, and if not, who is?  And if so, why clandestinely?)

jokers said:
Yeah, I`ve witnessed aussie telling you that

Russ

ive only said there rubbish in that they are not an equal to simalar saws,the co i worked for went thru heaps of them beacause we were using them soley with 064s 66s like 2x488 1x757 1x66/64 per 4 man crew so they coped a flogging.they are dependable when new and arnt the worst saw in the world by a long shot.IMO there actually not a bad climbing saw.on a throw away basis ,sidecovers,filters, bearings are enough to make me not interested. :)

I have a few thoughts on the 026. Great saw and stone reliable. They cost more than a a 346 if you buy over the net. The fixed jet carb, air filter and choke blow.
As far as Russ' ascertation that mounting a chain on a Stihl is harder. I disagree, but I cut my teeth on Stihls.

You know, I USED to run Stihl. I switched to Husky because they're a better value IMHO.

Anybody switch from Husky to Stihl for the same perception?

NO - I have run Stihl's in the past, and they make a fine saw. Husky also makes a fine saw, and they do not cost as much for what they deliver.

I am not aware of anyone who switched from Husky to Stihl for cost reasone...

bwalker said:
I have a few thoughts on the 026. Great saw and stone reliable. They cost more than a a 346 if you buy over the net.

I know some of you don't believe it but that simply isn't true around here. I can go into any Husky shop and get a comparable model MUCH less expensive than at any local Stihl dealer. Sometimes we are talking a difference of $150 - $200.(MSRP's,not special deals) Heck then there is even more to be saved if you go online, but I like to support my Husky guy and he'll give a better deal than sticker.

Does the MSRP differ from place to place here in the U.S.?  I can go into a big hardware store down in Terre Haute and see the full lines of Echo, Husqvarna, and Stihl all on display.  The 372XP is $689.95 w/24" bar and the MS440 is $679.95 w/24" bar.  Comparable saws, comparable prices, but for someone who already has several Stihl saws, the Husky would be effectively even more than $10 more expensive, because now there are no common parts to share with it.

I think it was in this thread (if not, a similar one recently) where a link was provided to an ebay sale for a 359.  In the ebay photo, the saw is sitting on a display with a (MSRP) price tag of $480.  What's the MSRP for that saw over by you, Newfie?

Glen

The 359? Can't say off the top of my head, but I'll check sometime in the next week. It's been a few months since I've "window shopped". Try not to as it inevitably leads to a purchase I probably shouldn't have made. :laugh:

The last time I shopped at the Stihl dealer closest to me I was really taken aback by the prices. I know you like "just the facts," Joe Friday. I'll get some updated comps after I finish putting up the ice rink for my boys.

I guess maybe I'm putting too fine a point on it.&nbsp; In my mind, I was seeing, say, Electrolux marketing their Husqvarna line of chainsaws in, say, the United States.&nbsp; They might say something like "here's the 359; <u>we</u> <u>suggest</u> you put a 20" bar/chain on it and sell it at <u>retail</u> for <u>$479.95</u>".&nbsp; Hence, the <u><b>M</b></u>anufacturer's <u><b>S</b></u>uggested <u><b>R</b></u>etail <u><b>P</b></u>rice.

What any given retailer <i>actually</i> prices them at is up to them depending on how much mark-up they want to put on top of the price they pay their distributor (who may or may not give them a better price based on volume of sales).

So, maybe this is semantics at work, but the (variable) "sticker price" may or may not be the (less, or not variable) "MSRP".

That understanding is the basis for my end of the discussion.

Glen

This could be a nut for you to crack.

From Husqvarna recommended price with tax:
372xp 8995 Skr / 6,95 =1294,24$US
357xp 8295 Skr / 6,95 =1193,52$US
353xp 6095 Skr / 6,95 = 876,97$US
55R 4690 Skr / 6,95 = 674,82$US

Could be wrong about the $, yesterdays paper.

Judging by this:<TABLE WIDTH=60% CELLPADDING=3 CELLSPACING=1 BORDER=1><TR> <TD VALIGN=MIDDLE ALIGN=CENTER BGCOLOR=#FFF090><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><B>
<FONT SIZE=+1>xe.com&nbsp;</FONT>
Universal Currency Converter<FONT SIZE=-1><SUP> &reg;</SUP></FONT> Results</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD VALIGN=MIDDLE ALIGN=CENTER BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF><TABLE CELLSPACING=3 CELLPADDING=2 BORDER=0><TR><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=-1>
<B>Live</B> <A HREF="http://www.xe.com/faq.htm#midmarket"><FONT COLOR=#000000>mid-market rates</FONT></A> as of 2004.12.11 01:33:58 GMT.
</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD VALIGN=MIDDLE ALIGN=CENTER><TABLE CELLPADDING=5 CELLSPACING=0 BORDER=0><TR VALIGN=MIDDLE><TD ALIGN=RIGHT><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><FONT SIZE=+1><B>8,995.00 SEK</B></FONT><FONT SIZE=-1><BR>Sweden Kronor</FONT></TD><TD>&nbsp;</TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=+3><B>=</B></FONT></TD><TD>&nbsp;</TD><TD ALIGN=LEFT><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><FONT SIZE=+1><B>1,324.57 USD</B></FONT><FONT SIZE=-1><BR>United States Dollars</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN=RIGHT><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=-2>1 SEK = 0.147256 USD</TD><TD COLSPAN=3></TD><TD ALIGN=LEFT><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=-2>1 USD = 6.79090 SEK</TD></TR><TD COLSPAN=5 ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=-1><B><B></TD></TR></TABLE></TD></TR></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD VALIGN=MIDDLE ALIGN=CENTER BGCOLOR=#F0F0F0><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" SIZE=-1><A HREF="http://www.xe.com/ucc/bookmark.htm">Bookmark Us</A> <A HREF="http://www.xe.com/">XE.com&nbsp;Free&nbsp;Currency&nbsp;Tools</A>&nbsp;|
<A HREF="http://www.xe.com/cus/">Free&nbsp;Rates&nbsp;by&nbsp;E-Mail</A>&nbsp;|
<A HREF="http://www.xe.com/ucc/customize.htm">Put&nbsp;This&nbsp;on&nbsp;Your&nbsp;Site&nbsp;for&nbsp;Free!</A>
<FONT COLOR=#808080 SIZE=-2></FONT></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>
it looks like your figures are okay.&nbsp; What do they do, export (paying duties) then re-import (paying duties) again?&nbsp; Maybe your higher standard of living costs a bunch; is it worth it?

Obviously, different markets globally will carry different Suggested Retail Prices.&nbsp; Maybe even within the same country.&nbsp; But comparing $500 (US) here with the equivalent of $500 (US) there, by using the exchange rate, might not accurately portray the equivalent purchasing power.&nbsp; A lot of the "common folk" here would <i>love</i> to clear (after taxes and other mandatory deductions) $500 for a week's pay (again, varying perhaps greatly based on location).

Glen

Almost all the differance is enviorment/tax. There is export poletics as well.
Tell you this, when i go "over there" to get some fiching done, I will have a stack of saws with me home.

Thought this would make more than your reply, Glens. I guess you already knew this.

Mange

Latest posts

Back