And I thought I was lazy......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
Was shopping with the wife last night in Walmart, and was browsing in the hardware section for a new axe. I was surprised to see this.

Now, I am as apt to take short cuts as much as the next guy, but a quart of premix for 5 bucks? I reckon if you dont need any more than a quart of fuel at a time, then you oughta just get an electric powered whatever.
And if you cant even mix your own fuel, do everyone a favor and leave the power tools alone!

Been a couple of threads on this, I believe the first was from Tony at Amick's looking for a little market research before ordering. I spotted it at a local Wal-Mart near me. Told a guy at work about it and he went and got a couple of bottles to donate to the fire dept. he volunteers at. The two year shelf life is better for the price than what they are currently doing.

http://www.50fuel.com/

Go check the website.
No ethanol
synthetic oil

Pretty slick marketing !

That will sell like crazy. Mal*Wart is betting on it.

Jeez, what else you gonna get for $5, maybe a hamburger ??

-Pat

That's $20 a gallon for fuel. I think I'll just mix my own. What I don't use I pour in the pickup, and mix fresh every couple of weeks. or when I need it.
Someone will get rich on it. Like bottled water.:crazy1:

Been a couple of threads on this, I believe the first was from Tony at Amick's looking for a little market research before ordering. I spotted it at a local Wal-Mart near me. Told a guy at work about it and he went and got a couple of bottles to donate to the fire dept. he volunteers at. The two year shelf life is better for the price than what they are currently doing.

That would be a good use for this product. I know when I was in a volunteer dept it was always an issue with the fuel that we carried on board. Often the saws would not run very well because of poor fuel, and a quart would be ideal. it wasnt like we used a lot of fuel in one shot.
Good thinking..

the use for fire dept sounded pretty good....
heres another thought.. how about for use if you live in an area that gets storms disasters ect.. having a couple of cans in a 'disaster kit' at least you would have enough to cut yourself out of something or survive until you could get some gas again. just a thought

I think a case would be good for disaster preparedness also.
If the powers out, nobody is gonna be able to pump gas.
Web site price is $22.50 and there is a 2 for 1 offer.
15.00 shipping to MA, a total of 37.50 for two cases (3 gallons ).
Expensive for sure, but so is the AVgas that I hear about people buying to get away from the ethanol.
If I get any, I'll post a report when I run some through my MS361.

Not bad for what it is, I remember when I finally started seeing pre-mixed anitfreeze on the shelves,was wondering what took them so long to offer it? The antifreeze is a lot more convenient I think than the gas though, for an emergency kit is a very good idea.

I wonder what the hazmat fee is to ship that stuff per jug(another scam)? Then there's the quality of the oil they put in-no control over any of that. They're selling convenience is all.

I have to be dumb or sumthin, how can it have a two year shelf life. The stuff we all mix ourselvs, there is no way it would still be good after two years. So what gives with this stuff. I'll assume just a sales promotion....

I wonder what the hazmat fee is to ship that stuff per jug(another scam)? Then there's the quality of the oil they put in-no control over any of that. They're selling convenience is all.

Big Jake
I went on the web and checked it out.
My message is back a few paragraphs.

3 gallons FEDEX Ground from Shreveport, LA to Boston, MA $15.00 USD
Of course they are selling convenience.
But they sold a million freakin pet rocks didn't they ???

I'm sure that this will start a huge debate. The shelf life for that stuff in the can comes from being sealed, no oxygen or light. You can store regular gas for years with little to no degredation if it is sealed from the air and light. I thought that information was BS when I first heard it a long time ago so I tried it. I got some 15 gallon HDPE drums and filled them to the top with gas, no additive, screwed the plugs in tight and let them sit in the corner of the garage for a year. Still smelled like gas and didn't have any sludge in the bottoms of the drums when I opened them. I drained the fuel out of a mower, ran it dry, filled it with the stored stuff and it ran like a top. Then I tried it for two years, same results. I run this kind of "old" gas in everything that I own with an engine on it and have never had any fuel related problems. Doesn't hurt to keep a small stash of fuel around just for emergencies.

I dont know about that one, I have a one gallon sealed gas can on the back of each of our 4 wheelers in a rack. Last year i had filled them up prior to a ride, and the ride got cancelled.
The quads sat in my shop over the winter, and this spring i took them out of hibernation. I had run the fuel out of the main gas tanks, but didnt even think about those one gallon gas cans.
On our first ride this spring, my wife ran out of fuel on the way back to the camp ground. I poured two of the gas cans in her machine, and it ran like a bucket of bolts. We made it back to the camp, drained the fuel back into the cans, and fueled up with fresh fuel. Ran just fine. These cans were sealed, out of sunlight, and not even a year old.
Not arguing with you junkfixr, just relating my experience.

Were they gas cans that the spouts store inside the can under the cap? For some reason they won't stay sealed with the spout stored in them. During heating and cooling the seal leaks and sucks air back into the can when it cools down. I've had the same experiences with regular gas cans, that's why I don't use them any more.

Junkfxr,did you leave any room in the barrel for expansion? and if i added stabil that i aready had would help too? maybe last a little longer?

Were they gas cans that the spouts store inside the can under the cap? For some reason they won't stay sealed with the spout stored in them. During heating and cooling the seal leaks and sucks air back into the can when it cools down. I've had the same experiences with regular gas cans, that's why I don't use them any more.

Yep, those are the ones. I figured that they are as sealed as they can get. We bounce all over the place on the four wheelers, and have never noticed any fuel or fumes coming from them. On a hot day when you open them the fumes coming rushing out with a woosh. But, it may be just as you said, they dont seal completly.

Back