Another wood burning ban

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan in AR

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I heard on the radio today that San Francisco (no surprise) is banning all wood burning in stoves and fireplaces.

San francisco sucks anyway. Are there even any tree's there.

When you have such a population density breathing comes first.

I'm surprised so many have a difficult time understanding this.

Probably can't shoot skeet in the back yard, either.

Well, gosh darn, what would be the point of living there, then? :msp_wink:

So you believe burning wood is dirty, full of polution. That burning oil is cleaner, with less smoke and toxins. So renewable energy is only for the red neck hicks, out in the sticks. Nice.

I heard on the radio today that San Francisco (no surprise) is banning all wood burning in stoves and fireplaces.

I'll be sure and add that to my list of reasons not to move to California.
I figure if someone is willing to pay me enough to live there, they wouldn't mind if I done my job from Oklahoma.

Nope, no skeet shooting in the back yard.

You can, however, pee off of your front porch. It's okay to do that, it's even encouraged. Depending on what part of town you live in it might be the start of a neighborhood party.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I dont understand how wood burning is that bad. A small amount of smoke comes out the chimney but disappears after 5 feet. I am the only one on my block that burns wood and the neighbors tell me they cant smell the wood smoke. So the people in SF should switch to coal. yeah tat would be better.:bang:

Most of these places probably dont care if you could breath. Its all money driven. Rich people dont make alot of tax money on wood burning as they would for their BIG OIL buddys.

From what I've seen of San Fran, there's no place to store firewood anyway.

Here in Maryland the stat is giving rebates on wood and pellet stoves, $400 and $600 respectively. If you know anything about the bleeding heart liberals that run our state this is surprising news.

It goes to show you that it does make environmental sense to run modern efficient stoves versus bumping up coal production.

Here in Maryland the stat is giving rebates on wood and pellet stoves, $400 and $600 respectively. If you know anything about the bleeding heart liberals that run our state this is surprising news..

I'd look at the details of that before praising it. Here in Sac, if you take the rebate money, you must also agree in writing not to burn on days that only EPA approved equipment are allowed to burn on

So you believe burning wood is dirty, full of polution. That burning oil is cleaner, with less smoke and toxins. So renewable energy is only for the red neck hicks, out in the sticks. Nice.

Yer "leading the witness"- putting words in his mouth, and imputing "evil" purpose. Pretty obvious.

Let him speak for himself, and pay him the courtesy of listening, as others listen to you.

There are always multiple sides to any issue. You must know well that if many folks nearby, upwind, started their fires simultaneously, it would affect most folks downwind. (Not a problem for folks scattered about the sticks.) Throw in inversions, and you breathe brown soup. :jester:

I always wonder about some of the people who will burn a stove or fireplace regardless of the smoke path...and then raise holy hell about breathing second hand cigarette smoke in a public place.

I imagine there is a burn ban on the east side of the mountains in my fair state--you don't want to move here. There is an inversion going on, which happens when we get a high pressure system in the winter and sometimes in the summer. We were up in warmer temperatures and sun at the ski hill, which is smack dab in the center of the mountains. Looking over towards Yakima, only the peaks were showing above the fog.

The temps above were about 15 or 20 degrees warmer than those below. That's a typical inversion and there is no escape for the air in the valleys. The air gets worse and worse each day.

They had one in Wenatchee during the forest fire time last year, and the doctors started packing up their families and leaving on vacations until it cleared up.

I don't think this happens in the flat part of the country, but I could be wrong. You need mountains to trap the air.

Whatever, it can be hard on the lungs. Go work on a fireline for few days. You'll be horking black junk up out of your lungs for a while afterwards. That can't be healthy.

Burn ban in SF? That's on my list of things I care about just above missing an episode of Honey Boo Boo and just below the quality of Whitespider's morning BM.

Another reason to visit cities, but not live in one.

Burn ban in SF? That's on my list of things I care about just above missing an episode of Honey Boo Boo and just below the quality of Whitespider's morning BM.

Another reason to visit cities, but not live in one.

I try to avoid the visits as well. I've been to Sac, LA, and SF. I'm in no hurry to go back.

I try to avoid the visits as well. I've been to Sac, LA, and SF. I'm in no hurry to go back.

There are some good reasons though. Like the extra special attention I got from the wife after taking her into Boston to see the Nutcracker.

Back