Another wood burning ban

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some good reasons though. Like the extra special attention I got from the wife after taking her into Boston to see the Nutcracker.

Visiting big cities is NOT a marital aid in my case. ;o)

If everyone burned dry wood in a epa rated stove I doubt there would be much problem. Around me it's the yahoos with their firepits in the summer- one guy smothers his with yard clippings and you can follow his smoke trail for blocks, another douses his wet wood with diesel fuel, the next door neighbor put theirs with in 15ft of their back door and the prevailing winds bring it right up to my bedroom window. Another used to burn vinyl siding scraps in his barrel stove...:angry: I have a firepit too, but burn it hot, smokeless and it's as far back in the yard as I could get it. It's idiots like these that bring these burn bans on themselfs.

We have burn bans occasionally. Usually due to very dry conditions. A field fire is a scary thing if you're downwind. Nobody was burning this past summer.

If everyone burned dry wood in a epa rated stove I doubt there would be much problem. Around me it's the yahoos with their firepits in the summer- one guy smothers his with yard clippings and you can follow his smoke trail for blocks, another douses his wet wood with diesel fuel, the next door neighbor put theirs with in 15ft of their back door and the prevailing winds bring it right up to my bedroom window. Another used to burn vinyl siding scraps in his barrel stove...:angry: I have a firepit too, but burn it hot, smokeless and it's as far back in the yard as I could get it. It's idiots like these that bring these burn bans on themselfs.

you forgot the guy that burns his weekly trash just about dark so he doesn't see the smoke...

Yer "leading the witness"- putting words in his mouth, and imputing "evil" purpose. Pretty obvious.

Let him speak for himself, and pay him the courtesy of listening, as others listen to you.

There are always multiple sides to any issue. You must know well that if many folks nearby, upwind, started their fires simultaneously, it would affect most folks downwind. (Not a problem for folks scattered about the sticks.) Throw in inversions, and you breathe brown soup. :jester:

You are correct on the first 1/2. And for that I apologize.

But on the 2nd half, If its cold everyone needs heat. Close together or far apart, fuel makes smoke. Oil fumes are not better for you, and when they start up with a cold chimney there is more smoke too. Ever go down town 1st thing on a cold morning? Look at all the buildings giving of smoke fumes, rolling of the roof, or blowing out the side into the side walks.
Maybe all the auto repair shops burning waste oil heaters. That actually have ash flying thru the air. You should see the roofs of these places, covered in ash and soot.

Me either. I'll be the rogue outlaw wood burner. Just have to season the splits in the basement, kiln like.

if they ban wood burning, i figure that my firewood stash, sold on the black market, will leave me sitting on a beach sipping a fancy drink

Nope, no skeet shooting in the back yard.

You can, however, pee off of your front porch. It's okay to do that, it's even encouraged. Depending on what part of town you live in it might be the start of a neighborhood party.

I pee off the front porch, back porch, carport, and occasionally out the window. Some people say having one bathroom kinda sucks but I would rather use the great outdoors. Just check the wind first.

Last edited:
What alot of people don't realize is most people that burn wood are doing it because they are trying to save money or they just dont have the money to waste on heat when they can just do some labor and provide a warm home for their family. I'm not trying to hurt my neighbors with wood burning there for I burn the correct way. Instead of just baning wood burning they should educate people that don't burn correctly. And I do understand that in some places wood burning is not ideal but the problem is if you give these people that ban everything an inch they will take a mile. Same fight the NRA goes through but thats another topic all together.

i wasnt serious. if i wasnt burning wood what would i do with all my saws

Just send 'em over here. I'll store them for you, and exercise them occasionally to make sure they operate properly.

Instead of just baning wood burning they should educate people that don't burn correctly. And I do understand that in some places wood burning is not ideal but the problem is if you give these people that ban everything an inch they will take a mile. Same fight the NRA goes through but thats another topic all together.

Good idea, but I don't think it will work. You're dealing with a very wide spectrum. Tree huggers, people that don't know how and what to burn, some that just don't care,
some that are envious because you're saving a wad of cash, and the list goes on. I'm sure I have all of those living around me somewhere. You'll probably find that "big oil" has a finger in the pie as well. They don't like not being able to screw you everywhere, not just at the pump.

You guys should stop burning tonight..
I can come by tomorrow and pickup your wood, chainsaws, splitters, tractors, trailers, axes, mauls and all the other kit that comes with it... :msp_biggrin:

Back