Another wood burning ban

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here. Fb is good for something I guess. Still the root of all evil tho.

Same here. Fb is good for something I guess. Still the root of all evil tho.

I don't participate. I don't think my business needs to be everyone's business. Mrs uses it for family, and a lot of people she shares common interests with.

I don't participate. I don't think my business needs to be everyone's business. Mrs uses it for family, and a lot of people she shares common interests with.

I'm on FaceBook (same user name as here) because several of my friends said I should, but all I've ever posted is a handful of links to videos with a couple of them being my own. I won't post pictures there and I haven't included a link to my photobucket account. Even there it's just pictures of my place, and the progress I've been making in it's renovation. (outside) Better than half the pictures have to deal with firewood though. I'm not into the full disclosure thing since most things others just don't need to know. Anyway, I give people around here enough to talk about. :D (funny how they would rather talk about me than to me)

That way if they ever ban burning firewood around here, I'm not stopping! I'll just be less conspicuous. :msp_sneaky:

Me either. Now if there was a way to block others from posting pics of you, or any info without consent.

I dont do fb twit or any of that social bs. I dont have a need to post my life story.

FB is worth trillions by selling your private information, because you let them. Who ever reads a EULA, or what ever they use, in it's entirety?

Hey RandyMac

Care to come over here and say that?

I was going to reply to that guys post too but I thought about it and decided not to.

He's from 'Western Nebraska' and I didn't think I could use enough small and simple words for him to be able to understand my post. That's my fault...I can't communicate well using just grunts and gestures.

I thought about just using emoticons but I didn't know if he had anybody there to explain them to him. I didn't want him to think we'd sent him a cartoon and get all embarrassed when somebody told him what all the little symbols really meant.

I guess if he wants to hunt Californians he can come out here...or try to. Is Greyhound still offering special fares for the sociologically challenged? Are the border guards still giving IQ tests prior to admittance and do the IQ results still have to be 5 points higher than the outside air temperature? It's winter time...maybe he'll be okay. Are people with more tattoos than teeth still being disqualified?

Let me know...there may be others.

I was going to reply to that guys post too but I thought about it and decided not to.

He's from 'Western Nebraska' and I didn't think I could use enough small and simple words for him to be able to understand my post. That's my fault...I can't communicate well using just grunts and gestures.

I thought about just using emoticons but I didn't know if he had anybody there to explain them to him. I didn't want him to think we'd sent him a cartoon and get all embarrassed when somebody told him what all the little symbols really meant.

I guess if he wants to hunt Californians he can come out here...or try to. Is Greyhound still offering special fares for the sociologically challenged? Are the border guards still giving IQ tests prior to admittance and do the IQ results still have to be 5 points higher than the outside air temperature? It's winter time...maybe he'll be okay. Are people with more tattoos than teeth still being disqualified?

Gologit - instead of fueling the fire and now singling out people from "Western Nebraska" why didn't you take the more appropriate resolution by removing his comment and banning him?

LMAO!!!

Poor sodbuster. Maybe we can steer him south of the Tehachapis.

I pee off the front porch, back porch, carport, and occasionally out the window. Some people say having one bathroom kinda sucks but I would rather use the great outdoors. Just check the wind first.

Heh! My disabled wife seems to live in the one bathroom. I have gotten used to grabbing my bathrobe to go out side regardless of the temps. Hope I don't hae to tonight it is down to 4 degrees already.

Harry K

I imagine there is a burn ban on the east side of the mountains in my fair state--you don't want to move here. There is an inversion going on, which happens when we get a high pressure system in the winter and sometimes in the summer. We were up in warmer temperatures and sun at the ski hill, which is smack dab in the center of the mountains. Looking over towards Yakima, only the peaks were showing above the fog.

The temps above were about 15 or 20 degrees warmer than those below. That's a typical inversion and there is no escape for the air in the valleys. The air gets worse and worse each day.

They had one in Wenatchee during the forest fire time last year, and the doctors started packing up their families and leaving on vacations until it cleared up.

I don't think this happens in the flat part of the country, but I could be wrong. You need mountains to trap the air.

Whatever, it can be hard on the lungs. Go work on a fireline for few days. You'll be horking black junk up out of your lungs for a while afterwards. That can't be healthy.

I'm in the east bay from SF...yea, they have 'no-burn' days around here for exactly the reason you describe. However, around here the ####heads that run things seem to think they can post the 'no-burn' any time they feel like it. so far yesterday was the first of the season...last year by this time we'd already had a couple weeks worth of 'days'. We've never been sited or even warned ;) When there is an actual inversion you know it right away...I get smoke that traps on my porch...2 stories down and quite a ways from the chimney. When that happens I use the furnace. Fortunately, that doesn't happen very often.

As for a total ban in this area...not true...yet.

Gologit - instead of fueling the fire and now singling out people from "Western Nebraska" why didn't you take the more appropriate resolution by removing his comment and banning him?

It was a sense of humor test. Most people got it. The guy from Western Nebraska didn't do anything that would cause me to ban him. He took a jab, I took a jab back...we're even.

You, on the other hand, are complaining about site moderation.

mac i hear ya on facebook. i cant believe people sign over their content for a corporations use. facebook should be paying people for content they make from

It was a sense of humor test. Most people got it. The guy from Western Nebraska didn't do anything that would cause me to ban him. He took a jab, I took a jab back...we're even.

You, on the other hand, are complaining about site moderation.
LOL ...I'l make sure to follow your lead to stay within rules ;).

I had a big long “tin foil hat” response all ready to go, but I did a little research first. Sounds like nothing new, just an air quality alert/temporary ban for the bay area issued by the Bay Area Air Quality Management District…

Winter Spare the Air Alert Issued for Wednesday January 2, 2013 | Local: In Contra Costa | an SFGate.com blog
Winter Spare the Air Alert Issued for Wednesday January 2, 2013

A Winter Spare the Air Alert has been issued for Wednesday, January 2, 2013, in the Bay Area.

Wood burning is banned both indoors and outdoors on January 2, 2013, for the full 24 hours.
Air quality in the Bay Area is forecast to be unhealthy. It is illegal for Bay Area residents to burn wood or other solid fuels in fireplaces, wood stoves and inserts, pellet stoves, outdoor fire-pits, or other wood-burning devices. This wood-burning ban will be in effect for Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, southern Sonoma and southwestern Solano Counties. (Visit Spare the Air - Reporting Zones to see if your city is located within the Air District.)
Winter air pollution is mainly caused by particulates or soot pollution from wood smoke. Smoke from wood-burning fires is linked to illnesses such as asthma, bronchitis and lung disease, and is especially harmful for children and the elderly.
For more information about the Wood Burning Rule, or to check before you burn, visit Spare the Air or call 1-877-4NO-BURN.
You can also call 1-800-430-1515 and register to receive automatic phone calls when a Winter Spare the Air Alert has been called.
To see the current air quality forecast visit Spare the Air.
Download our FREE Spare the Air iPhone/Android application for alert notifications, local air quality forecasts, podcasts and several tools to help reduce air pollution.
Thank you for doing your part to Spare the Air!
This AirAlert is provided by your Bay Area Air Quality Management District.

L - O - L
What a kick, I just now got around to reading this thread...
Who is Honey Boo Boo anyway?

Burn ban in SF? That's on my list of things I care about just above missing an episode of Honey Boo Boo and just below the quality of Whitespider's morning BM.

addendum; Never mind, I just Google'd Honey Boo Boo.

Last edited:
Care to come over here and say that?

No, that would mean I would have to go to California. I been there once and that was plenty for me. Hell you gota have a permit just to take a wiz there. No thanks. Too many people anyway, that's why I just stayed on base when I was there.

Besides, California is the only place where things are totally different from the rest of the world. Just look at the back of a two cycle bottle. "Certain chemicals have been shown to cause cancer in the state of California". Guess they are safe everywhere else:hmm3grin2orange: Too many rules, too many people, and too much bs red tape. Take some prune juice, get a magazine and relax. I didn't say all California's anyway, just most of em. Hell each state could use some thinning. Perhaps send the dumb ones overseas for a tour of duty. Oh and not originally from Neb, came from Montana.

Back