Attn. all timber fallers....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modded 372 for regular falling up to the occasional 5 or 6 footer. If its a pumpkin patch with all big wood it makes it worth packing a modded 390 or 395.

I have been logging in the northern California woods for 13 years now and I would go as far as to say around here its about 95% stihl 460 or 660. I have only known a few cutters to use Husky. I have used both brands for hooktending. In my opinion the Stihls had a little better power to weight ratio but they were less reliable.

Stihl 460 with 24" windsor speed tip is my main rig right now. A lot of guys use 20" bars around here but I prefer the 24" for the extra reach and it can keep my powerhead and body that much farther from sticky situations.

Husky is gaining ground around here pretty quick. Guys are figuring out how smooth, reliable, clean filtered, and powerful the 385/390's are. Have been seeing more and more of them.

I have ran several 372XP's, a 394XP, and I got to run an old 281XP a few months ago... I wikes 'em... :)

I hold the 372XP almost as near to my heart as the ol' 044 PNW workhorse.

Gary

***shh... don't tell nobody***

For me the Westcoast Of Canada (B.C) Were we have fir and Cedars ranging to over 12FT Accross I have always ran the 372XP 32" Skip Chain , 038 Mag 32" Skip (Great 2'nd growth saw)and the 2100 running 36-42" Bar (For big pumpkin patch timber) Starting to see lots of 660's and 575XP showing up.

I have an MS360 with a 20" bar on it for my cutting. Have dropped a fair amount of trees with it. My favorite "falling machine" is my 15C. :)

Trbo

I love my 372, but the one that starts and has good mounts is wthe one to grab in the monin! it makes me sad to see an old 044 that has been jerked all to pieces:cry:

my 346xpg (woodsported) is my number one saw but I mostly do thinnings here in sweden while dreaming of the PNW :)
Got a 372xpgw for the larger stuff but i don't get to run is as often as i would like though !!

Latest posts

Back