Attn. all timber fallers....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone has to start somewhere! Once things turn around in the industry there will be a significant shortage of fallers in coastal BC.

what sort of equipment do you have for cutting?

i've got ported 660's, 460's and 390, 385,3120. but i don't have any sharpening equipment.

ive been looking for a good square grinder to complete the deal. know of any?

ive had an ongoing plan to get everything that i would need if i ever go out there and work. that way the start up cost wouldn't be as harsh.

what sort of equipment do you have for cutting?

i've got ported 660's, 460's and 390, 385,3120. but i don't have any sharpening equipment.

ive been looking for a good square grinder to complete the deal. know of any?

ive had an ongoing plan to get everything that i would need if i ever go out there and work. that way the start up cost wouldn't be as harsh.

It's pretty much split between Husky and Stihl. All the Stilh guys use the 660's. I'm a Husky guy myself and use ported 390's and 395's. Lot's of guys use the ported 372's as well.

I don't know of any grinders for sale right now, but I bet if you did some digging you could find some pretty cheap right now. We use the Pro Sharp and the Razor 2's.

Everyone has to start somewhere! Once things turn around in the industry there will be a significant shortage of fallers in coastal BC.

And I might just be there. The only place I'd rather live. Nice timber, big Steelhead & Kings....right up my ally.

i like my 660 but every now and then i like using the 394. a saw is a saw to me they all have their good and their bad.

I don't know of any grinders for sale right now, but I bet if you did some digging you could find some pretty cheap right now. We use the Pro Sharp and the Razor 2's.

I know the Pro Sharps are the cat's azz. but what is your opinion of the Razor 2's? how about the SDM-4? i'm looking at getting a grinder and don't know if its best to just get the Pro Sharp and forget about it or if the others work quite well.

If things turn around. I like your optimism though :cheers:

To the original poster (The OP! :rock:) Dolmar 7900 if I was felling with a saw. Most of our East Coast work is done by machines with harvester bars or Felling heads.

I know the Pro Sharps are the cat's azz. but what is your opinion of the Razor 2's? how about the SDM-4? i'm looking at getting a grinder and don't know if its best to just get the Pro Sharp and forget about it or if the others work quite well.

No doubt the Pro Sharp is the best and easiest. I've never used the SDM-4, although I know some guys who do and they swear by them. As for the Razor 2's, if you start with those they will do you just fine. Once you get your grinding style down you'll figure out little tricks that will make it great. If you're just doing your own chains, it will be fine, you can get them cutting pretty nice.

Husky is gaining ground around here pretty quick. Guys are figuring out how smooth, reliable, clean filtered, and powerful the 385/390's are. Have been seeing more and more of them.
i dunno my boss has been logging close to 40 years and the whole crew was diehard husky forever but bout five years ago we could not keep a husky running for nothing,maybe they are building better motors lately but we would not know because we have gone full on stihl and couldnt be happier!

so, after i started this thread out of curiosity, i got me a 460 and have to say that i am pretty fond of it:cheers:

Back