Attn. all timber fallers....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mostly 460, some 66, depends on the timber. The fellas i cut with sure have been eyeing/impressed with the 460 I run, they're all 66 runners. Muffler all bored out, lots of pickup, pep and chain speed, a tad low on torque though.

mostly 460, some 66, depends on the timber. The fellas i cut with sure have been eyeing/impressed with the 460 I run, they're all 66 runners. Muffler all bored out, lots of pickup, pep and chain speed, a tad low on torque though.

what size sprocket 7 or 8... I can really care less for an 8 on my 460... drops the torque down alot!

what size bars to you run on the 395's? i would figure the next step up from the 390 would be the 3120.

For the most part we still run 36" bars on the 395's, we have 50 & 60" bars on hand too, but you're right, most of the time when we need those it goes on a 3120. We also have an 8' bar, but not much occasion to use it anymore!

For the most part we still run 36" bars on the 395's, we have 50 & 60" bars on hand too, but you're right, most of the time when we need those it goes on a 3120. We also have an 8' bar, but not much occasion to use it anymore!

will you pack the 50 & 60" bars in, or do you have them at camp and as you are cutting you will figure out if you need them and then bring the bar you need?

got any work pics

will you pack the 50 & 60" bars in, or do you have them at camp and as you are cutting you will figure out if you need them and then bring the bar you need?

got any work pics

We'll have them in camp, and then looking ahead, my guys will figure out the need for them and bring the long bar up with them as needed.

You can check out my web site, www.sibolamountainfalling.com for some recent pics and I'll post a couple older, but great shots here.

We'll have them in camp, and then looking ahead, my guys will figure out the need for them and bring the long bar up with them as needed.

You can check out my web site, www.sibolamountainfalling.com for some recent pics and I'll post a couple older, but great shots here.

awesome pics. i have always wanted to drop a Sitka Spruce, always thought they were an awesome tree.

have you been getting to work alot? cutting any big'uns?

awesome pics. i have always wanted to drop a Sitka Spruce, always thought they were an awesome tree.

have you been getting to work alot? cutting any big'uns?

I agree, Sitka spruce are one of my favorite trees to fall.

Not much work since last fall, we're scheduled to go back in mid April, but we'll see! We still get some big wood like that every now and then, usually not consistently big though, typically scattered throughout a setting.

it has been a long time dream of mine to go to that region and fall timber. i don't know if i will ever get to, but i sure do hope so.

it has been a long time dream of mine to go to that region and fall timber. i don't know if i will ever get to, but i sure do hope so.

I have to say, I do enjoy my work! When we're working anyway! Is there much falling in Illinois and are you guys busy now?

I have to say, I do enjoy my work! When we're working anyway! Is there much falling in Illinois and are you guys busy now?

yea i stay pretty busy, the prices aren't good. it is all cutting skidding shows around here.

what is the story with the faller certification up there. open to americans?

yea i stay pretty busy, the prices aren't good. it is all cutting skidding shows around here.

what is the story with the faller certification up there. open to americans?

Good question, not something I've ever thought of. I can't see why it wouldn't be, as long as you pass the standard it wouldn't matter where you're from. Of course you'd have to look into what it would take to work in Canada. We were contacted a couple years back, when everyone was busy, to look at some work in Oregon. It would have been fine getting supervisors into the States, but the fallers would have ended up in a beaurocratic and paperwork nightmare!

Good question, not something I've ever thought of. I can't see why it wouldn't be, as long as you pass the standard it wouldn't matter where you're from. Of course you'd have to look into what it would take to work in Canada. We were contacted a couple years back, when everyone was busy, to look at some work in Oregon. It would have been fine getting supervisors into the States, but the fallers would have ended up in a beaurocratic and paperwork nightmare!

got any idea what the current cost of the certification is?

how does that series of events play out (for getting certified that is)

yea, you would have to become a legal resident or something first i would think

got any idea what the current cost of the certification is?

how does that series of events play out (for getting certified that is)

yea, you would have to become a legal resident or something first i would think

Experienced fallers are able to challenge the exam, I believe it costs around $1200 Cdn.

New fallers with no experience are now required to go through a 30 day course costing around $15 000 including room and board. Once your through that you have to find someone willing to take you on. There you will work directly with an experienced faller. When he deems you qualified enough to work on your own, you're set free somewhat. You're still under his (and the bullbucker's) direct supervision, usually his partner on a face in case any difficulities are encountered. After 180 days and a sign off from the faller you're ready to take the certification test!

Experienced fallers are able to challenge the exam, I believe it costs around $1200 Cdn.

New fallers with no experience are now required to go through a 30 day course costing around $15 000 including room and board. Once your through that you have to find someone willing to take you on. There you will work directly with an experienced faller. When he deems you qualified enough to work on your own, you're set free somewhat. You're still under his (and the bullbucker's) direct supervision, usually his partner on a face in case any difficulities are encountered. After 180 days and a sign off from the faller you're ready to take the certification test!

Ic..ive cut many million bdft or timber but non of it was softwood, and the cutting style is completely different. so i would be pretty green to that style of cutting.

Ic..ive cut many million bdft or timber but non of it was softwood, and the cutting style is completely different. so i would be pretty green to that style of cutting.

Everyone has to start somewhere! Once things turn around in the industry there will be a significant shortage of fallers in coastal BC.

Latest posts

Back