Attn. all timber fallers....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back when the rocks were young, I used a McCulloch 797 on the big stuff, and a Super 250 on everything else.

Ok. as the starter of this thread i should say that even though i have an ms460 on the way, right now my favorite saw is my XL-12. a couple of days ago i had it out and it was (gasp) hanging right with my ms361.....shutter the thouht....haha!

Modded ms460 for most of the pine and hardwood i cut and the ms660 modded by WPS for the the big hardwood.

Well, when I was in it full time, I use stihl, husky, jonnies and even poulan pro 650s. As far as I am concerned, they are all good as long as they start in the morning and keep going througout the day. Fav though is husky 372/385. 385 was last saw I owned when I was contract cutting and will buy another if need arises. Now I don't cut and honestly haven't looked back.

Mike

RandyMac, I still have a Super 797, and a CP125. Neither run. Beasts!

My first commercial saw was a Mac 895. Gear drive, damn good saw, and the foundation for the 797 and 125's

Can't remember what a Super 250 is? For a small Mac I used a small direct drive, I think it was a 870?

Every so often I pull the old iron out to see if I can still lift it.

RandyMac, I still have a Super 797, and a CP125. Neither run. Beasts!

My first commercial saw was a Mac 895. Gear drive, damn good saw, and the foundation for the 797 and 125's

Can't remember what a Super 250 is? For a small Mac I used a small direct drive, I think it was a 870?

Every so often I pull the old iron out to see if I can still lift it.

The Supers are pretty much the last of that line of McCulloch's medium/heavy saws. They had all the developments from the decades before, including auto oiling.
The one on the bottom I bought from a shop in either Portola or Quincy, it was a leftover demo. I did cut a fair amount of east slope Sierra timber with, but it had a lot of second growth Redwood action.
The one on the top is currently in the hands of a rodent named Ray Carr.
Super2504.jpg

Super250d.jpg

I started my first falling job when I turned 19, my Grandad confiscated my new 050, saying that it was bad luck to start a job with a new saw, I spent two weeks in old growth Doug Fir running a Terrill CS-7. My Grandad was an evil old man.

funky sawman,can you really tell a difference between a 288/2100?

In larger wood 36" and up the 2100 will walk away from a stock 288. That was tested with one of my 2100cd models with the govener nozzle plugged for more rpm (11,000). The 288 is a far more versitle saw than a 2100. My ported 288 will cut with a stock 2100 in a 33" doug fir butt log using skip 3/8 chain and 36 inch bars.

372xp with a 61, really, for a back up.

Used to have a Shiwdiawa 327 I think but couldn't keep the chain tight on it.

usually i have to start them all to see which it first and end up with all 3 stihl and not one husky.but my favorite saw for grab and go is a stihl 034 av super soon to be ported along with the rest but it all depends on how the day starts.

Does anyone run a 441? Been thinking about a new saw, maybe even a 372?

441's haven't been holding up to well. Oiler pump and suspensions go out a lot. My sawing partner actually had the coil go out on his.

I was using my 441 with a 25 inch bar. I also have a 36" bar if I need it. I have recently acquired an old 044 that has 160 psi compression. That has been my saw of choice for two decades now. I never had a problem with the 441 but the 044's just seems to have a little more umph and is a pound or two lighter which makes it nicer to use in the tree when I have to. I would like to find a decent used 064, 066, 660 for the larger trees I encounter but until then looks like I'll stick with the 044. Lovin that saw!

after my 394 was stolen, I run the 395 and it out revs and performs better than my old 066!

If all I'm doing all day is falling/bucking, the 044 gets the ride along. Nothing else really compares to that thing.

<----- (Avatar Saw)

Latest posts

Back