Attn. all timber fallers....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one that starts every mornin...

Gary

+1- that's half the battle right there. A saw that runs reliably will cut a lot more wood than a modified saw with big dawgs, fancy air filter, polished fasteners, lightweight bar, etc. that you struggle to get going first thing and have to tinker with to keep running.

+1- that's half the battle right there. A saw that runs reliably will cut a lot more wood than a modified saw with big dawgs, fancy air filter, polished fasteners, lightweight bar, etc. that you struggle to get going first thing and have to tinker with to keep running.

That's why I run a Husky!!!!! So fitting for my 1,000 post :cheers:

I got to run an opened up 390 awhile back and thought HHMMM. I ran another one here just a couple days ago, and I am thinking this could be a really nice tool.

For the little I do now days it's a 460 and a 046 with slightly opened mufflers. After the the 44 finnally gave up the ghost I couldn't find another that seemed to be as good. Bigger stuff gets the 660. I finally retired the 084.
To damned heavy, great saw, lots of life left, strong as an ox but man that thing will shrink ya pack'n it around.

Husky is indeed gaining ground. We had no service for Husky that is why I have been predominantly Stihl. Now service is gone, Husky may be a viable option. I also have more time to work on things. I need to run a few more before that leaf is turned though. All I know for the most part is Stihl and for me it's hard to change from a proven good thing.

Owl

how do big dogs, air filters and lightweight bars make a saw unreliable? my saws (and tons of guys on the b.c. coast) are modded and never let me down. just get it modded by a guy who knows what he's doing and stands by his work.

my favorite saw to cut with would be my tree sling'r 660, if im in smaller timber i run the modded 460.

but this 3120 i got might be a new favorite of mine.

how do big dogs, air filters and lightweight bars make a saw unreliable? my saws (and tons of guys on the b.c. coast) are modded and never let me down. just get it modded by a guy who knows what he's doing and stands by his work.

I think they are getting at: it doesn't matter how good a saw looks, how clean it is or how much $ you have sunk into it, how big the spikes are, or the air filter you are running. If it won't start when you pack it out to the woods. If a saw that you are trying to make a living with is not reliable it is not worth having. you will be money ahead to go out and spend $1000 to get one that will start every morning.

btw. Just about all the production fallers (especially the ones you are referring to) are running modded saws, and many of them build there own. heck, I'm from Southern IL and i get paid by the bushel and i run modded saws. If i'm getting to work steady getting a saw modded will make up its difference in a week.

I think they are getting at: it doesn't matter how good a saw looks, how clean it is or how much $ you have sunk into it, how big the spikes are, or the air filter you are running. If it won't start when you pack it out to the woods. If a saw that you are trying to make a living with is not reliable it is not worth having. you will be money ahead to go out and spend $1000 to get one that will start every morning.

btw. Just about all the production fallers (especially the ones you are referring to) are running modded saws, and many of them build there own. heck, I'm from Southern IL and i get paid by the bushel and i run modded saws. If i'm getting to work steady getting a saw modded will make up its difference in a week.

i was being a smartass pointing out modding saws has nothing to do with reliability if its done right. i'm a production faller. around here i don't know any guys that mod their own saws though. most get their saws built by simon or the walkers.

I wont use anything but a Stihl 066/ 660 anymore, they're a bit heavier than the 460 but I'm used to lugging them around the hills here and I got used to the chain speed with a 20" bar.. I'll use a 25" once in a while... I still have an 064, one of the best saws I've ever had, bought it rebuilt, use it all the time and it wont die, its got the same snort as the 066/660...

I like my old 2100CD Husky w/44" bar for the jug butted spruce, its got power to pull that much bar, in fact I've run a 50" bar on it, (it falls down with that, but will pull it o.k.)

I use a 066 with a 36" bar for the smaller stuff, and a 044 with 32" for the utility wood.

I'm no spring chicken so I try to match the saw to the tree so I'm not packing anymore weight than I have to. Hell to be old. I swear, I'm a young man trapped in an old man's body. I need done over.

Am I the only one that uses Dolmar saws? Nobody around here does either. They're great, lots of power and lightweight.

I would use a dolmar but there are ZERO dealers close to offer a sale and support after the fact. I just purchased a used 7900 so it might makes its way into the woods sometimes, but we shall see how it goes.

Am I the only one that uses Dolmar saws? Nobody around here does either. They're great, lots of power and lightweight.

I looked into Dolmar and Solo saws. The just don't have the air filter for the conditions around here.
I always used Stihl 044, 064 and 066 until Husky came out with the 372 and 395. They are now my favorite work saws. A ported 372 with a 32" bar and a ported 395 with 42" and 50" bars do all I need.

I looked into Dolmar and Solo saws. The just don't have the air filter for the conditions around here.
I always used Stihl 044, 064 and 066 until Husky came out with the 372 and 395. They are now my favorite work saws. A ported 372 with a 32" bar and a ported 395 with 42" and 50" bars do all I need.

so do you run the 372 the majority of the time i'm guessing? ever thought about getting a 390 for something in the middle?

have you been getting to work any in your area or are you pretty well shut down?

i was being a smartass pointing out modding saws has nothing to do with reliability if its done right. i'm a production faller. around here i don't know any guys that mod their own saws though. most get their saws built by simon or the walkers.

I was working a partial cut job here in bigger timber about five years ago. Four of the cutters I was working with had their saws modded at a 'new shop' that opened up in town, the proprietor being a long-time builder of R/C engines who supposedly had exciting new ideas for hopping up saws. These four cutters agreed to be guinea pigs for this guy's new ideas. After those guys got their saws back, it was a constant struggle everyday to keep those saws running. At the time I was building my own saws and I had real good luck with a couple of Stihls and Huskys I'd built. Every morning I'd listen to those guys struggle to get those saws started while I was dropping wood. That R/C guy sure made those saws pretty though.

I like my old 2100CD Husky w/44" bar for the jug butted spruce, its got power to pull that much bar, in fact I've run a 50" bar on it, (it falls down with that, but will pull it o.k.)

I use a 066 with a 36" bar for the smaller stuff, and a 044 with 32" for the utility wood.

I'm no spring chicken so I try to match the saw to the tree so I'm not packing anymore weight than I have to. Hell to be old. I swear, I'm a young man trapped in an old man's body. I need done over.

My 81 year-old grandpa came out of retirement a couple years ago to cut ROWs for a large local logging company. There were two other cutters on the job with 440s/372s. My grandpa pulls out that thin-ring 2100 and proudly proclaimed it to be a man's saw. He outcut those guys everyday.

so do you run the 372 the majority of the time i'm guessing? ever thought about getting a 390 for something in the middle?

have you been getting to work any in your area or are you pretty well shut down?

Yes, I run a 372 the most. I haven't messed with the 390 any but the 385 was not enough stronger to justify the weight on the bad ground here. The 395 has huge power increase potential and pulls a 50" bar better than a stock 084, 880 or 3120.
My work has been very slow. This time of year is always slow combined with the economy, it is very slow. The deep snow has everything tied up for a while.
If you watch the NASCAR Fontana race this weekend. The mountains in the back ground is where I work and live.

Back